Salt Lake City, Utah

Discussion in 'West' started by ceraphimfalls, Apr 13, 2016.

1. ceraphimfalls

ceraphimfalls Well-Known Member

Diabolical is supposed to be great but I haven't made it over there yet either. I have heard there's a show every night! Grey whale is hit or miss. I feel like they've been caring more about volume than quality lately, and I nearly always have a bad interaction with their staff. Maybe the Sandy location is the outlier, idk.
    Sound and Vision will always have my heart though. Seriously, check them out!

2. ceraphimfalls

SLC FOLKS! When are we going to organize The Spins? I would even be willing to host!

3. mtenorio82

mtenorio82 New Member

South Jordan Here. I've been collecting for less than a year. Only been to graywhale stores. What do you guys think about them? Also tell me a little bit more about S&V

4. ceraphimfalls

I have to say each Graywhale is its own beast. The OG in SLC is pretty great. Sandy is ok, certainly better than others. Graywhale is just always overpriced for what you're getting and I hate that. Plus, many of the workers have one speciality and don't branch from there- something I find you just can't do at a record store. You have to enough knowledge about everything to talk about it for 2 minutes, or at least be polite about it when you don't.

Sound and Vision is great. Mike has worked in record shops forever, ran a few back in New York, and has stories for days. The selection is smaller, but it is easily the best curated store in the valley because of it. You will find everything you want, rarities you never thought you would find, and new stuff you wish you had found sooner. And usually everything is at or close to Amazon prices. There's actually going to be a KUTV2 report on the store in a couple of weeks. I'll post a link when it airs.

5. ceraphimfalls

And welcome to the area! What kind of music do you like and collect? What have you purchased recently?

6. mtenorio82

mtenorio82 New Member

Holy Crap! I was just looking at Sound and Vision's online shop, it's amazing!!! I'm into Rock, Old and New, 90's alternative and pretty much anything Indie. so that record store is unbelievable, too bad its not as close as I would like. I'm going today for sure!

Last Vinyl I got was St. Vincent- St. Vincent

7. ceraphimfalls

Awesome! We are heading over about noon so maybe we will see you there! I'll be the girl in the red and grey dress covered in cat hair.

8. DevonJD

DevonJD Well-Known Member

Hey guys/gals....so I might be relocating to SLC soon from CA. Anywhere I should avoid? Wife would be working, it looks like the southern part, just north of Sandy. We aren't mormon, will we (and kids, more importantly) be shunned and treated as outcasts?

9. DevonJD

10. DevonJD

Anyone in here? Free ticket to mewithoutYou on sunday at metro music hall. You don't even have to stand next to me.

11. DevonJD