Speaker reccommendations and what's in between?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Marissa, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Marissa

Marissa New Member

So I just brought my record player out to where I live, as I now have space for it! I've been doing some research on speakers and whether i'm dumb or can't really grasp the order, i can't come to a conclusion. Earlier i had my turntable, Technics SL-D3 connected to a phono preamp and then connected to some computer speakers (I did what i could at the time haha). Well now that I plan on using it a lot more new speakers, better speakers i should say, are obviously a must. I've been looking at the Wharfedale Diamond 225 or 10.2, bookshelf speakers due to the size of my room, not sure which would be better as there is a big price difference. What should i look for when looking at speakers? Also, as they are passive speakers, connections to my turntable are the red and white rca cables and a ground and then i know i need an amp in between but do i get a phono pre amp or regular amp? also would i need banana plugs cause the connections to the back of most passive speakers are that, correct? I need educated. Does anyone have any recommendations as to what i should do? or would powered speakers do justice? or is it just based on preference?

2. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Before we deep dive into speaker options, a couple things:

You've got things mostly right. Your computer speakers were powered speakers, eliminating the need for an amp. You still need your phono pre-amp (that brings the turntable signal up to something the amp can use, if you're bored you can look up "RIAA curve" for more deets on how your preamp works).

Whether powered or passive are "better" is pretty subjective. You will have a lot more options in the passive space though and they tend to be preferred. And for those, yep, you'll need an amp of some sort.

Where your chain with powered goes:
    table > preamp > speakers (amp is built in)

Your chain with passive will go:
    table > preamp > amp or receiver > speakers

What sort of preamp do you have now? You might be able to hop up a step by getting an amp with a phono stage built in, but if your current one is decent and you don't need one that's good to know too.

As far as speakers go, Wharfedale makes a solid unit. And undoubtedly, someone is gonna tell you to look at the Elac B6 - priced similarly, if not a little lower and a forum favorite. But I'll let someone else tag in on speaker models.

Hunna, AnthonyI, Marissa and 2 others like this.
  3. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

It's all based on preference, your gear, budget, and maybe your space. To make a TT work, you need a TT, pre-amp, amp, and speakers.
    This gets confusing because most integrated amps and many receivers have a phono input, meaning it has a pre-amp built in.

Let us know your total budget, and the details of what you already have. We can help find some good options.

AnthonyI, Marissa and HiFi Guy like this.
  4. Tdogzthmn

Tdogzthmn Member

I've been having success with power speakers. The JBL 305P MkII or similar would be nice for their price and do justice to the music.

Marissa likes this.
  5. Marissa

Marissa New Member

Budget range would probably be max $1000 for everything? Details about what I have well I just have my turntable right now. Basically just wanted to get all new stuff. So are you thinking I should look at integrated amps?

AnthonyI and lee newman like this.
  6. SKOT_FREE

SKOT_FREE Well-Known Member

It’s honestly up to you what you want.....personally I run at this moment an integrated amp but I had a phono pre Amp to a Flashcube connection. With exception of my Turntables I have yet to buy one piece of new gear. My speakers and amps are all used.....at most on those pieces I have paid 34.95 for my Technics amp, 79 for a rectilinear vintage speaker and 24.95 for a set of Bose 201 speakers, all from Goodwill and it sounds awesome. But it’s honestly up to you, if want all new gear, then @hifiguy can steer you in the right direction as well as others.

Marissa, AnthonyI and lee newman like this.
  7. Tillman

Tillman Well-Known Member

yup, I have the Elac B6s and I think they sound amazing, especially for the price. they're pretty big and bulky for bookshelf speakers but of you have space they're worth looking into. they actually just announced their new series, which means you can soon get the latest and greatest from Elac (I think the new B6s will be $300 for the pair) or you'll likely see the older B6s which many of us have and love get a little cheaper, giving you more wiggle room with your amp, or just keeping a few extra bucks in your pocket.

I pair those speakers with the Yamaha A-S501 amp and it sounds really good!! I also have a pre-amp in the mix, but since the Yamaha has a phono input the pre-amp isn't necessary...as a matter of fact, someone else on this forum has a very similar setup and found the addition of the pre-amp to be a very minimal upgrade. I still haven't tried my setup without the pre-amp since I had it before the Yamaha and B6s so just hooked it up since day one.

not saying that this is what you should do.. but with that amp and speakers you're under your $1k budget which you can pocket the rest or get some speaker stands if needed..

Marissa, AnthonyI, Corycm and 3 others like this.
  8. kvetcha

kvetcha Well-Known Member

Used speakers are always worth a look, too. You can get a lot of bang for your buck if they’ve been well taken care of.

wgb113, Marissa, HiFi Guy and 3 others like this.
  9. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

That Yamaha (and its big brother) was what I was looking at before I picked up my Brio. It's a nice amp.

wgb113, Marissa, AnthonyI and 2 others like this.
  10. Tillman

Tillman Well-Known Member

@NotOneStraw was the main reason I got it.. I was eyeballing a Marantz that was a little more but he swore by the Yamaha when pairing with Elacs, so that tipped the scale for me..

for all the the times he and I butted heads, as he did with so many other people around here, I really have to thank him for the recommendation of my amp.

11. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Marissa and Juiceless like this.
  12. SKOT_FREE

Oh and don’t forget about open box sales at places like Best Buy. Sometimes you can catch a deal there too on all kinds of components. I just took a chance on EBay on a Marantz 6808 for 250. Dude had no description and I’m sure that kind of turned away some buyers, but I messaged him he says it works. Worst case I return it, but the thing looks new in pics. What we’re basically saying is you have many many options.

13. wgb113

wgb113 Well-Known Member

Accessories4Less is a great resource for discontinued/surplus/manufacturer refurbished stuff as well. I'm running two Denon AVRs, a Yamaha A-S501, and a full suite of KEF Q series from them in a few different setups.

Marissa, HiFi Guy and lee newman like this.
  14. Marissa

Marissa New Member

I appreciate everyones suggestions thus far! I think im gonna go with the new Elac's B6.2 for speakers which are 300 a pair. Mostly because their predecessors were such a hit, plus they look great!
    Any recommendations for a phono stage and amp? Honestly i could raise the budget up to 1500 if need be. I've been saving for this for a while.
    Or i've been thinking about the Yamaha A-S501, just seems a little more bulky than i'd like, but im not totally opposed.

If i were to split it up, do you have to match the pre amp with the amp as far as impedance and such? or is that just going to the speakers?

displayname likes this.
  15. SKOT_FREE

If you get the Yamaha A-S501 you won’t need a preamp as it has a phono stage built in. The final decision on if you need a Pre-amp is going to be if your receiver you select has the phono stage built in or not so, select which receiver you want then go from there.

Marissa and displayname like this.
  16. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Your preamp is just bringing the signal from the cart up to a standard level. The amp pushes it out to the speakers, so you don't need to worry about wattage/impedance like you do amp to speakers.

The Yamaha is a solid choice. Like was mentioned, the Yamaha has a built-in preamp, which will get you off the ground (a great back-up as well, on the off chance something goes wonky with your preamp down the line and it needs to be repaired, etc.) but wouldn't be my choice for long term). It is on the larger side as a full-on receiver. Part of the reason I went with the Brio for my system was the small footprint (it's about 1/4 the size of the Yamaha) and the quality of the built-in phono stage. But there are a lot of options in between.

Marissa likes this.
  17. Marissa

Marissa New Member

sickkk. Thanks! Think i'll be going with the Yamaha then! :) Seems like a pretty good starter. Figured i'll get fanicier later on down the line when i get my own place!

18. SKOT_FREE

Yep I read up on the Yamaha and it seems like it was well received.

19. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

We have a pal that used to post here that has a 501 hooked up to a very nice table/phono and pushes the Elac F6 floorstanders, so you've got better than just a starter - you'll have a solid base to build around whenever you like.

20. Marissa

Marissa New Member

87F6CBD0-A7CA-426B-8939-E1608444DB90.jpeg Finally!!! If anyone was wondering!