Storf January ROTM AMA

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Storf, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Storf

Storf Well-Known Member Staff Member

comp_1_.jpg

It's that time of the month. I'll be back in a bit to answer any Q's. I've got about an hour today to answer questions before I go back to my holiday break, then otherwise I'll catch up when I'm back next Wednesday.

In the meantime, here's your January ROTM content roundup:

Flying Lotus Interview: http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/flying-lotus-interview
    FlyLo Package Deets: http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/flying-lotus-cosmogramma-vinyl
    Blossom Dearie Liners: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/blossom-dearie-liners
    Blossom Dearie Deets: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/blossom-dearie-vinyl
    Juvenile Announce Essay: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/juvenile-400-degreez-vinyl
    Juvenile Deets: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/400-degreez-vinyl

2. duke86fan

duke86fan Well-Known Member

You guys are so good at your job. I legit feel my black copy of cosmogramma is worthless now

turbo, alspriet, Nova and 9 others like this.
  3. diego4533

diego4533 Member

Hi Storf! Can you tell us about the storage and waiting side of VMP? I feel like ROTMs connected with future new releases can get easily delayed at the request of the label.
    Also, were you thinking about a FlyLo exclusive / ROTM for a while? I love that we get a new album cover with Cosmogramma!

4. krutter

krutter Well-Known Member

First off, just wanted to say thanks for the Flying Lotus ROTM and Bundle. I'd heard of Flying Lotus prior to this, but hadn't dug in much, and with an initial listen to Cosmogramma, I had a "oh shit!" moment where everything just clicks with new music and it broadens your horizons. So anyway, long story short, thanks for bringing us cool, interesting music to check out, I'm loving this.

I'm sure you get this Q a lot, but wanted to check in to see if there were any updates on more vinyl from Fiona Apple. The version of Tidal is incredible and I think I would legit trade in 3 ROTMs just to get my hands on something like When the Pawn... Please tell me ya'll are still working on this :)

5. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Is Blossom a Gray remaster? I looked but didn't see that info on the details link.

6. NateOEB

NateOEB Well-Known Member

Any chance of a Captain Murphy - Duality exclusive?

Nova, OreganoDealer, Tillman and 5 others like this.
  7. wynn72

wynn72 Well-Known Member

After Juve are there any more Cash Money exclusives in the works? This months box is going be great, would love to see some more of these coming soon

8. chrb98

chrb98 Well-Known Member

I'd imagine an album with that much fervor and demand around it would be a ROTM, at least of R&HH, if anything, although sample clearances would probably make it impossible.

Follow-up: Any chance y'all contacted FlyLo's people, said "hey is there any chance we can do a Duality ROTM?" and they were like "Nah, sorry, but you can do all this other stuff" and that's how this ROTM (and the accompanying exclusives) came to be? :p

9. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

Any chance we can get an approximate month when we will find out more about the new blue note endeavor?

10. ericj32

ericj32 Well-Known Member

It seems like the ROTMs get "sold out" and then magically reappear later (i.e. Archie Shepp, Gorillaz, Davis/Coltrane, etc.). Any chance that this would ever happen for non-ROTM VMP exclusives? such as Orquesta Akokan or Charlie Rouse?

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  11. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

From the 400 ROM article
    "This project started this summer, when we got sort of tossed the keys to the Cash Money vaults. We immediately decided we needed to do a Lil Wayne album, but me and Michael also went through the catalog and gave them a list of albums we wanted to do. We settled on Tha Carter III, Tha Carter II, The Mind of Mannie Fresh, Guerrilla Warfare, 400 Degreezand another one I won’t name because if it does happen I don’t want to spoil it here. We got the go ahead on five of the six for sure, and it was then that we realized that 400 Degreez had never been officially released,"

12. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

these two for sure were repressed, it would be very upsetting to many if an exclusive that was advertised as limited to __ was repressed

13. Storf

Good to hear. This is basically why we picked this; we felt like we could do special things with it.

Jkeech, turbo, GelloJive and 9 others like this.
  14. Sanders

Sanders Active Member

This might have been answered elsewhere, but is Cosmogramma 33⅓ or 45 RPM?

15. Tyr

Tyr Well-Known Member

This is amazing news! Thank you for sharing.

I'm just waiting on that Big Tymers release.
    Gator booooots, and some pimped out Gucci suits. Aint got no job, but I stay fly

16. twentytwo

twentytwo Well-Known Member

Any Americana/Folk/Country exclusives on the way anytime soon?

17. Storf

The secret to the vinyl industry is that there isn't much stuff getting delayed very often (with the exception of a certain cover for a certain band's album getting screwed up in printing). We have hard cutoff dates to hit deadlines for each month--and we have serialized obis on every ROTM now--so there isn't really any storage or waiting tbh. We did have a slight scare when we thought we'd have to push February's ROTM to March and flip March to Feb, but that happened like 3 weeks ago. These changes are happening on a way different schedule than when we announce.

FlyLo has been on a master list of artists to consider since I've worked here, I think. He's in the VMP book. I think once we approached him this summer, things happened pretty quickly. Glad you like the cover, he picked it himself.

turbo, alspriet, GelloJive and 11 others like this.
  18. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

What is the likelihood this month's tracks sell out before available to buy on their own

19. duke86fan

duke86fan Well-Known Member

If it runs out I can pif a copy for you

20. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

It won't affect me