Storf January ROTM AMA

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Storf, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Zakattak

Zakattak Well-Known Member

That would be marvellous.

Darin Star Boogie and Hollywood like this.
  2. Storf

Storf Well-Known Member Staff Member

Great to hear!

Crayute, Sanders, bohnjaggs and 6 others like this.
  3. gorio9966

gorio9966 New Member

Hi Storf,

First : thanks for all the work that you do. A lots of nice discovery this year with Classics Sub - especially Stax Me Please.

Then, is there any chance to have a Reissue (Exclusive Store or Classics Sub or Rotm) of one of these :

- Sam Dees : The Show Must Go On
    - Donny Hathaway : Everything is Everyhting
    - David Porter: Victim of A Joke

Best regards,

4. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Co-signed.

5. Storf

Victim of a Joke has been on my list since we started Classics.

6. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

Show Must Go On was just repressed by Pure Pleasure.

Any Donny Hathaway would be great.

Victim of the Joke was in Storf's Stax Top Ten list, so I'd guess hopefully in the future.

7. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s an age thing as I was in my mid/late teens when it hit, but I remember britpop as being a lot bigger of a thing than it’s being made out to be. The early 90s to the mid aughts experienced very fast turnover and a massive splintering for the rock sub-genres so I think grand sweeping statements about cultural impact might be il-advised. Especially since the cultural significance of Rock also experienced a massive decline during this era as rap & hip hop became the dominant cultural driver.

8. bdm105

bdm105 Well-Known Member

@Storf I know exact dates are probably impossible. But from a money budgeting point. Any word on when the next track will be?

Also any word on being able to pre-pay for a year of a 2nd (and 3rd) track up front?

9. Storf

No on both

10. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

It was an enormous deal in Britain, a real cultural phenomenon. I don’t think it’ll ever be possible for a band to be as big as oasis were here in 95-97 ever again, the industry just isn’t built for it.

It was much bigger here than the garage rock revival was in the early 2000s, it hit normal people and was part of everyday culture in a way the later scene just was not.

For me though whilst britpop was foundational to my taste I was too young to be involved in gigs and clubs and the like. I turned 18 in 2001 and went to uni and so was really into that scene and suppose wanted to get over how big it was here too. Aside from the bands coming over we also had exciting home grown acts like The Libertines and The Coral and later Bloc Party, Franz Ferdinand and Arctic Monkeys and it spread across the country, definitely wasn’t all London. I mean between Sheffield, Leeds and Wakefield there seemed to be a load of bands emerging from Yorkshire in that period.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  11. wingclipper

wingclipper Member

Love the pick. Do we know if Gone Ride With Me is the later version that edits out the “homicide” lyric?

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  12. A Lost Highway

A Lost Highway Well-Known Member

I'd agreed with all of this.

The interesting thing about the garage rock revival in comparison to Britpop, Grunge or Nu-Metal is that, a) it arguably lasted longer than all those scenes, b) conversely, at its height it was never as successful as any of them and c) the bands themselves weren't tied to one country, or even one city.

Yes, it started in New York with The Strokes, but then you have The Libertines from London, The Killers from Las Vegas and the The Arctic Monkeys from Sheffield. And unlike the odd outleir success story of previous scenes (*cough* Lostprophets), they all kept their hometown identities, while still being broadly part of the same musical landscape.

However, I'd still argue that, perhaps because it was so huge, the best of Britpop still has more staying power than any of those bands.

13. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

Garage Rock Revival was a music and culture movement more than a scene. Same can be said about Britpop albeit the movement was UK-based and more media driven. Whereas grunge was an integral part of the Seattle scene and was later extended to other parts of the country but acts were always considered to be post-grunge and alternative rock more than anything. Ditto for Nu-Metal, originated from California before spreading across the United States.

GelloJive and Darin Star Boogie like this.
  14. diego4533

diego4533 Member

Hi Storf! Will the Garage Rock Revival release(s) limit to ROTMs or will there also be store exclusives (as in, not the ROTM’s band’s discography but related artists from that period).

15. Storf

This is very specific and I appreciate the pluck, but no comment on this, officially.

16. ChristoBee

ChristoBee Well-Known Member

Are Brass Bands on VMP's radar for 2019 ? Like Youngblood BB, Hot 8, Dirty Dozen or Hypnotic BB ?

17. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

@Storf Will there be any Exclusives dropping connected to this month's RotMs? If so, which tracks? Thanks!

18. Storf

No, actually. First time that's happened in a bit. We are helping one artist/label re-press some of the other albums on vinyl though.

19. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Well we know that’s not Van... I don’t think Chess needs any help... so it must be Rap Hip Hop or is this unrelated to ROTM?

20. Storf

Sure