Storf March ROTM AMA

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Storf, Feb 26, 2019.

1. DTKnuckles

DTKnuckles Well-Known Member

This is sad...it’s such a great album and I wasn’t even into them before listening to it. I find it strange that you can’t connect with it. It seems like something you might like. Why the 4?

2. bohnjaggs

bohnjaggs Well-Known Member

If there's one thing I know about @NathanRicaud, it's that he does NOT like TVOTR.

3. NathanRicaud

NathanRicaud Well-Known Member

It’s too rough for me :(

I feel like most of the songs are a bit too overproduced. So much added noise unnecessarily takes place in so many of tracks on this album. Listening to this album makes me forget what tracks I have actually listened to. Like listening to the first track “I Was a Lover”, is the perfect example of this. It has horns and a pretty nice, sweet simple yet shuffling/rewind/skipping melody that is fresh. But there’s all this other noise that’s so distracting and then when the chorus comes in, sounds like there’s loud, distractable surface noise coming onto the vinyl. Sounds like a freaking vacuum cleaner in the background playing. Same issue with ‘playhouse’, it has that annoying surface noise hanging in the background. The vocals sound like a croaky, twighlight, gimmicky Nirvana and it’s a turn off...:cautious:

Nathan is not impressed by this album. It’s a very ugly sounding album :unsure:

4. Darin Star Boogie

Darin Star Boogie Well-Known Member

I find Return To Cookie Mountain to be absolutely beautiful. :D:p

Hollywood, bfly, DeadwaxDude and 11 others like this.
  5. NathanRicaud

But you would never refer to something as ugly Darin because you’re too nice. I would be in the change rooms and would put on the ugliest clothes and you would still tell me I look beautiful :ROFLMAO::p

Just kidding! Return to Cookie Mountain is clearly a crowd favourite on this forum so I guess I’m just an outsider on that one. Happy for everyone who loves that VMP exclusive though! (y)

bohnjaggs likes this.
  6. Darin Star Boogie

That is sort of how I am honestly...:oops:

Nah, you’re not an outsider. You’re just a family member with a different opinion. :)

ericj32, Skalap and NathanRicaud like this.
  7. NathanRicaud

You’re such a positive person.....

upload_2019-3-24_17-6-47.gif

But you’re totally right! We are all family here and you’re just a very friendly, welcoming and harmless hufflepuff who everyone likes because you cause no dramas! :)

And I’m a slytherin who would probably try and take advtange of you one night when you’re by yourself in your room. But Mcherry, a gryffindor, would come to your rescue and save you! :oops::ROFLMAO:

ericj32, Zakattak, Skalap and 2 others like this.
  8. chrb98

chrb98 Well-Known Member

Are you familiar with the album Loveless? If not... I’m morbidly curious to see how you’d react :LOL: as far as sonic clarity and “simplicity” so to speak, it makes TV On The Radio look like Taylor Swift

9. NathanRicaud

Yeah, I love the album Loveless so much! I only discovered it last year around the same time VMP made Slowdive’s “Pygmalion” an exclusive! It’s such an enticingly colourful that can feel very heavy, dreamy and thick but can also feel relaxed, chilled and nostalgic. I love the sound on this album. It’s noisy, but in a wavy and focused way and it adds to the psychedelic aesthetic of the album. It’s a 10/10 album for me, no question! Can imagine heaps of people enjoying being intoxicated by drugs or alcohol while listening to this album.

Loveless is so good it makes me never want to consider picking up TV On The Radio’s Return To Cookie Mountain :LOL:

I wish Loveless was also a person because they would be my dream date/one night stand :ROFLMAO:

10. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

I understand almost everything you are saying and get that you don’t like it but there are two little criticisms of yours that I don’t understand.

I’m not sure why you think it is overproduced? There’s is a lot of instrumentation on there that’s for sure but I don’t know what that has to do with production, that’s more they’re a “throw the kitchen sink at it” kind of band. Overproduction for me is the producer adding unnecessary effects (auto tune and the dreaded 80s drum echo sound) or adding a sheen or compressing the hell out of it. When I think overproduced I think Born to Run sounding comically big and shiny (even though I like a lot of the songs on it) or modern pop music or the loudness wars. I generally don’t think TV On The Radio...

The other is I can get how the vocals are divisive but I can’t see any comparison to Kurt Cobain in tone or delivery.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  11. NathanRicaud

I’ll help you understand my two criticisms. Ok first with the lead vocalist, maybe my description/comparison of the voice was a bit exaggerated. The vocals on this album are so processed, like I don’t know what TV On The Radio are doing to the vocals, but they sound so rugged and only make the ‘loud and noisy’ production on this record more unbearable for me to listen to.

Nothing wrong with heavily processed vocals, I mean I like the way James Blake’s voice is processed. The bit of reverb and layered pitches on his vocals sound pretty and chilling. I like how he mixes his real voices with the auto tune as well and creates an illusion with his voice.

But TV On The Radio’s vocals......not for me at all. Sounds really sturdy, muscular and croaky and I hate the vibrated, echoing effect of the vocals. Leaves a lot to be desired in my opinion as it irritates me.

Now, to the production on the album “Return To cookie Mountain”. First, I feel like there is unnecessary noise, instruments put into the mix of many of these songs. If you listen to “Let The Devil In”, I’m totally confused what’s happening. You have these fast-marching drums and that nice percussion in the background working a nice simple groove, but then that howling, croaky guitar is so unnecessarily lowd and just dominates the groove. Then those processed vocals are also howling loudly with that guitar and it’s just too much. Like there’s too much noise thrown into this which has a bad effect in my opinion and as a result, it ends up being overproduced for the most part.

Indie rock isn’t really my genre though but I’m appreciating it so I feel like I can judge the music a bit. It’s all subjective in the end but Return To Cookie Mountain is unpleasantly noisy and you combine this with that rugged, saturated-reverb, howling voice, it just sounds really ugly.

:barefoot::coffee:

12. JoeMac7

Beyond the vocal issue I still don’t see how that’s a production/producers decision/issue rather than just being the bands sound...

That said I do accept that it’s a bit muddied with this band as the producer is a band member.

13. ericj32

ericj32 Well-Known Member

For me, I think the issue is that a lot of the “singing” sounds more like talking. The focus isn’t on melodic lines and the delivery sounds kinda goofy and unsure of itself. It’s kinda fun in a way but kinda wears me out after a while. It’s definitely not smooth and velvety, but deliberately kinda shaky so it’s all over the place in terms of pitch, which kind of has a cool jazzy or soulful sound. But the way they switch between really jazzy sounding vocals and almost talking sounding vocals is just kind of confusing and it comes off sounding more calculated and less spontaneous - like a carefully planned version of soul rock. The calculated part makes it less emotionally moving. On some of the songs like “A Method”, “Hours” or “Province” there’s a little melodic singing of the “ooh-ooh...” parts which is nice. “Wolf like me” is fun because the vocals are a little sassier and there’s an edge of attitude in it that I can get behind - it sounds a lot more confident. And the backing vocals with the “oohs” make it more dramatic.

I enjoy this record but it’s definitely unconventional and not like a comfort-food record for me from front to back.

14. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

99D5C23C-E2CC-4AA5-B2AD-5C7B71781C5C.gif

GritNGlitter, haydee, bfly and 11 others like this.
  15. Darin Star Boogie

Unfortunately you’d just walk into the irresistible playfulness of 3 Feet High and Rising spinning and you’d forget all about your Slytherin plan.

[​IMG]

16. DTKnuckles

DTKnuckles Well-Known Member

So everything you mention there i see as a feature of the album, with the exception of overproduced. It is meant to be disjointed and discongruent. Things are meant to be dischordant and to clash with each other, because that is how the artist viewpoint.

It’s funny because of how much you like Cosmograma has a lot of similar characteristics. Both albums are very disjointed and collagey. Which I think makes both albums more interesting. I think the major difference from the two is that Cosmo looks at the world and sees wonder while cookie is stuck in the pain.

wallystripes likes this.
  17. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I’m curious to know what @NathanRicaud thinks of The Lemon of Pink now. I also want to turn him on to Sonic Youth.

18. JoeMac7

I did suggest he listened to Daydream Nation a few months back but I don’t think he did!

Or did you @NathanRicaud ? I’d love to know your take...

The Lemon of Pink is nowhere near as weird and obtuse as I think they are deliberately trying to be and as a result I just found it a bit trying and pretty average...

19. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

Intrigued to know what Mitski has to do to get that extra 0.1

20. JoeMac7

I don’t know, I was being pernickety and wanted to separate it from the Arctic Monkeys and, if I was including this year, Veedon Fleece.