Storf November ROTM AMA

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Storf, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Storf

Storf Well-Known Member Staff Member

Sup sup sup sup: It's me, Storf. It's Not Beck, etc.

In case you're not familiar, I'm the Head of Editorial and Classics A&R at VMP, which means I'm responsible for everything written on our website, and in and on our packages (I've written like 80% of the OBIs fyi). But perhaps most important for you is that I am--as of this month--the person running point on Classics. If you like it, it's because of me. If you hate it, it's because of you. Just kidding.

Anyways, back in the 2017 and earlier days, I used to "pull up a chair" to talk about our ROTM, since I'm on the small team at VMP picking all of them. In fact, this month, I was partially responsible for us picking Queen, in addition to picking Eddie Floyd. This is probably one of my favorite months in VMP history, especially that Rico Nasty LP in hip-hop.

Anyways, I'm here to pull up a chair. Ask me any question you want to know about our ROTM for November, or about how I'm picking the Classics albums in general. I'll be on around noon CST for at least an hour to answer any questions, so start firing away below.

In the mean time, check out the monthly articles we've got for y'all to add some context to our ROTM:

Queen Liners: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/queen-liner-notes/
    10 Best Queen Albums: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/best-queen-albums/
    Why We Picked Queen: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/queen-vinyl-reissue/
    Breaking down the Bohemian Rhapsody Scene from Wayne's World: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/queen-bohemian-rhapsody/

Eddie Floyd Liners Excerpt: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/eddie-floyd-knock-on-wood-vinyl/
    Why We Picked Eddie Floyd: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/eddie-floyd-details/
    Eddie Floyd Soul Playlist: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/classics-playlist-eddie-floyd/

Rico Nasty Interview/Profile: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/rico-nasty-vinyl/
    Maryland Rap Playlist: https://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/maryland-rap-playlist/

turbo, alspriet, mgp and 20 others like this.
  2. Jeff Lerner

Jeff Lerner Well-Known Member

Love the Eddie Floyd pick. I joined Classics for just these types of "classic" picks, not so much for the left-of-center picks like Lightmen. My question is, can we expect more Eddie Floyd-type picks in the future, with the more obscure stuff moving to the Crate Digger sub?

Also, you mentioned yesterday there would be fewer Stax releases going forward. Any hints/clues on where the Soul will be coming from?

Finally, can you give us a general preview of the next few months in terms of genre?

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

turbo, Bluecloud777, Mr Moore and 5 others like this.
  3. LeeVing

LeeVing Well-Known Member

Welcome back, Storf!.

I think Queen/Eddie Floyd are great ROTM picks.

Posting this early, as I won't be around in an hour...

As for the Classics track...is there a reason we don't get the mono versions of these albums? Does it just come down to what the labels make available to you?

I think Comfort Me was the last one that we got in mono.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  4. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

@Storf welcome back buddy. We haven’t had a proper blues release since Koko in February, when we getting that heat again? (You know I ride for Stax and Jazz). Blues seems woefully under represented in the track so far. Is there a challenge to getting good Blues records that aren’t available elsewhere?

5. duke86fan

duke86fan Well-Known Member

I dig the choice of Rico nasty even if I'm surprised you call it her first album and not a mixtape, and if we call mixtapes albums in surprised no sugar trap 2

Also interested in Queen, this was already polarising by how big the LP is, do you expect a lot of controversy?

6. chrb98

chrb98 Well-Known Member

I could be WAYYYY off base here, which has been known to happen, but: To me personally, from viewing what people say on the forums and on reddit, it seems like Classics has a much more dedicated subscriber base than Essentials or R&HH. Whereas I feel like most active Essentials and R&HH subscribers will occasionally swap the ROTM, jump over to another track, skip a month if they're on a one-month membership, etc. (not saying that that's a bad thing), it appears to me that Classics has a higher percentage of subscribers that will stick around no matter what the ROTM is (to a certain extent)

1. Do you know if this hypothesis has any weight to it? If so,
    2. Does this influence the way you choose which albums get considered for Classics ROTM, which ones end up making it, etc.? If so, how?

7. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Okay I know this isn't a current classics selection question, but where'd all the Shepps come from? Just curious. Super happy to grab one by the way, love classics you guys kill it every month with this track.

EDIT - Nevermind I see the answer elsewhere, limited repress, all good thanks!

Bluecloud777, JoeMac7, Skalap and 5 others like this.
  8. craigdino

craigdino Well-Known Member

Hey @Storf , it's great to have you back! I didn't get to interact with you much before you took some time away from the forum so glad I get the chance to now.

To echo what everyone else has said, I love the classics sub. In terms of jazz, where do you see the general direction of future picks? Aside from miles/coltrane and Lightmen it has been mostly Impulse and one Verve and one Blue Note. Any other labels we may see some future picks from?

Thanks again!

turbo, Darren, Bluecloud777 and 8 others like this.
  9. twentytwo

twentytwo Well-Known Member

Not a ROTM or classics question, but Is Vinyl Me Pardner ever going to be a reality or is Crate Digger probably going to to be the next sub?

10. Storf

Part 1 of your Q: As I take over the reigns for Classics, the first part of your Q is something I've thought a lot about, and ultimately, I think this year we might have gone too deep into the rabbit hole of crate digger titles. It's what me and @cjschaefer like the best since we both have rather deep jazz/blues/soul album collections, and we want to fill in with stuff we'd never find in a record store. The run from William Bell till Donald Byrd is amazing, but also really hard for you to be excited about if you have 200 records and really want just like, an Otis Redding album, you know?

So, I would say that generally, my plan for the next year (I have thru October tentatively mapped out), is to feature BIG NAME artists, but crate digger titles from those artists, if that makes sense. The Crate Digger sub would functionally scratch the itch that Classics did for us this year, but Classics will give you more bigger names, like Eddie Floyd, Donald Byrd, etc. That said, we have one title in the pipeline for an LP that never actually existed for a band no one will know, and probably the most esoteric, weird, free jazz title we've ever done across any program at VMP slated for next year.

Part 2 of your Q: Hopefully Detroit (hi @mcherry)

Part 3 of your Q: If you like Blues, the next 4 months are going to be *Borat voice* very nice for you.

11. wynn72

wynn72 Active Member

Hey @Storf, Is a Vinyl Me Pardner sub still possibly in the making? Loved Isbell, Cody Jinks, and Colter Wall and it would be awesome to have a monthly sub of picks like these mixed with some older classics of the genre.
    But it seems like you're the big Country guy in the company and now with you taking lead on classics, hoping there's still room (and demand) for a curated Country/Bluegrass/Americana type sub down the line.

EDIT : Just saw twentytwo asked the same question

12. Storf

Yeah, it's almost exclusively a label thing.

13. Storf

How does 2 Chess records in 4 months sound?

turbo, HiFi Guy, radiorob123 and 31 others like this.
  14. twentytwo

twentytwo Well-Known Member

You asked the question much better than I did so I defer to you. What @wynn72 said @Storf!

15. Storf

And to answer the second part, yes, it's tougher to get Classics-era blues labels/albums involved with Classics, particularly with that fella in Detroit doing some on his label.

But, we've had some doors open, and I've become friendly with Bruce at Alligator so expect them in the mix too.

16. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

17. duke86fan

How long before we get that hardest since Sabbath you promised?

18. Storf

Nasty is one that has no sample/beat clearance issues, so that's why that. Also RAGE is my jam.

And not any more than normal. Like I've said before, we've gotten letters from people being furious about Nina Simone. We're never going to please everyone. If we wanted to, we'd just do Adele records or whatever.

19. duke86fan

My mom would hate that

20. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Can we expect more hip-hop classics in the next months? Stuff like Goodie Mob, De La Soul or Queen Latifah? Not that I dislike new releases but there are a few records that would deserve an official reissue (Bone Thugs'n'Harmony for example...:rolleyes:). If so, can we have some hints?

And welcome back! I joined the forum when you "had to leave" but I heard a lot of you (mostly positive)!