Suggestion Box

Discussion in 'Support and Q&A' started by Peyton, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

Congrats on guessing it! Free stuff is awesome. Sweet idea of VMP's.

Now, here comes the negative stuff. This contest is a little... unfair. I guess, for those who miraculously got their shipment. Someone already stated it, but its not hard to figure out the artist when you have the physical record in hand (compared to those who don't get their shipment 3 weeks after notification). I think this was a great contest idea but the execution of it wasn't. I love these contest/giveaways, don't get me wrong. Just hoping to see some improvement on how its all carried out. I feel like a lot of things weren't thought over before this thread was made is all.

NoCo_Dave, Misael, Eric and 5 others like this.
  2. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

I'm not trying to seem like I am complaining. More power to those who have a twitter/instagram/forum account for these giveaways as well as those few selected to win free stuff from VMP. Just giving constructive feedback. Free stuff is free stuff. Life isn't fair. Just putting my entire $5 down in hopes to see improvements of how contests are run in the future.

3. cjschaefer

cjschaefer Administrator Staff Member

You all assume incorrectly that the contest is over ;) Have a little faith....

4. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

I am so confused.

5. cjschaefer

My point is that we have more to give away in this thread...just because the initial person guessed correctly and won some store credit doesn't mean we don't have more cool stuff coming.

6. Vinyl Chick

Vinyl Chick Active Member

there are more prizes!

7. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

That's awesome! Excited to see what will be thrown out there.

But I'm also still adamant about what I said earlier. It can be discouraging for others. Not me, I'm really apathetic about contests. there will always be someone who complains it's just this time they had a pretty valid excuse/reason for it. Anyway, stoked to see what else you guys decide to come up with.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
    GritNGlitter, Vebberim and Jake! like this.
  8. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

Yes, that was explained already.

Vinyl Chick likes this.
  9. Stav

Stav Active Member

Leave it to vinyl collectors to complain about possibly getting something fun for free...

Can't wait to see how many people bit@$ and moan if they don't get one. That's the fastest way to get VMP to stop doing cool stuff like this. Entitlement is unbecoming.

10. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

Who is btching and moaning though?

11. Stav

Stav Active Member

None that I see. Yet. That is why I said "can't wait to see"

12. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

Well, obviously. Just don't see anyone complaining about possibly getting something for free. I filtered through this thread and everyone is crossing fingers to be the selected 500 if anything. Just unsure what your post was even aiming towards.

13. Nickel

Nickel Well-Known Member

I get what you mean, I'm also in this other forum at "VC" and a lot of the regulars there always have this negative reaction to people getting good deals. Why I tend not to like to post on there that much. I'm always happy to hear when someone gets something rare or an album for a good price.
    Like some people got upset when Lex started to sell Danger Mouse on Amazon and retail stores, the ones who pre-ordered were mad it was not a limited release. I was just shaking my head, don't you want everyone to have a shot at getting the album.

14. helllord

helllord Well-Known Member

late but just to throw in my $.02, agreed on what @Peytonite and @Sky Ferreira said. it's pretty easy to google when you've got a record in hand and then end up getting a double prize. obviously not intentional on vmp's part, but they ask for our feedback all the time (especially on new stuff and how it's working) and it seems like it would've made more sense to do a member store credit giveaway if it was announced that 500 people would receive this unmarked lp before shipping started so no one had the advantage of being able to throw it on their tt and shazam/google it. not trying to be whiney (i haven't gotten my shipment yet so who even knows if i'm one of 500 or not), but it seems fair to even that part of the playing field, ya know? but no big deal. it's cool either way.

in other news, i haven't heard this band before and the track @cjschaefer linked is pretty good. i feel like they would be good live. they sound like they have energy

Peyton and wokeupnew like this.
  15. cjschaefer

Yeah, we hear all that and we'll continue to refine this - as I mentioned there are more things to give away so I wouldn't stress so much about the initial giveaway. With that said, in the future we'd love for suggestions like this to either go on a separate thread or PM'd to staff. We wanted this thread to be a discussion about the EP, info about the band, etc. and unfortunately now the thread has been largely overtaken by a debate about the fairness and execution of the giveaway itself...not really something that is fun for anyone to arrive to after getting secret EP. Understand where you all are coming from, but just ask that you would keep in mind the goal of what we're trying to do with this thread which is encourage a discussion around the EP, music, band. If this giveaway appears to be met negatively by members it will dissuade any label or band from wanting to do something like this again.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2015
  16. helllord

i don't think there was anything unfair about the actual giveaway, nor do i think anyone did ftm, but moreso the store credit thing. that's all. nothing to discredit or discourage the label because it's a very cool thing for them to participate in and for y'all to orchestrate.

and i did try to steer it back to the band! but i don't know anything else about them to facilitate a deeper conversation unfortunately!

i did mean to ask though, out of my own curiosity, were these unlabeled lps from the label (i've said label a lot i think) a limited run or a test pressing? or just kind of a special vmp promo sorta thing to hype up the new album? either way it's very cool. and again, i think what ya linked sounds great. not trying to lead some sort of entitled whine revolution by any means.

17. cjschaefer

No worries, I know you weren't trying to hijack the thread just wanted to make sure we could move on quickly to more important discussions :)

We partnered with Fat Possum on this project - pressed 500 of the EP and intentionally put blank labels on them and housed them in plain white jackets.

Hoping to do more of this in the future with other labels/bands as its fun for members to get bonus material in their packages and a cool way for newer artists to get their music into the hands of a very targeted group of music lovers.

18. Vebberim

Vebberim Well-Known Member

How awesome would it be if every month there was a secret release by a new band just for buying something from the store? It seems like everyone wins from this. :)

hittinthenote likes this.
  19. helllord

very cool! hopefully this can continue with other labels and artists in the future as well. it's definitely a good way to create some buzz for a new artist. like personally, i hadn't heard of the band/album, and i do plan on looking into 'em even if i don't end up with a magic inclusion lp when my shipment shows up 'cause i dug that ~preview track~ on soundcloud

20. Benjamin Dashley

Benjamin Dashley #NotMyModerator

Hey all,

Wanted to start a thread to allow us to suggest things to the VMP leadership. As it is now, we're able to suggest but staff either needs to search through their alerts or look through all the threads.

This way, we can have a centralized location to give staff ideas or ways to improve. And it allows the threads already around to stay "on topic," whatever that means.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015