Tennis - Yours Conditionally (March '17 ROTM)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by captainfog, Feb 21, 2017.

1. captainfog

captainfog A Prince Among Men And Moderators

Let's hear the story then @cjschaefer :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Go here to listen to 2 podcasts with Tennis: http://www.vinylmeplease.com/record-of-the-month/

Go here to read Amileah's liner notes for the album (with reporting help from me): http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/tennis-liner-notes/

Go here to read Alaina's breakdown of the album: http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/tennis-bio/

Go here to read Alaina's detailing the music on the album: http://www.vinylmeplease.com/magazine/tennis-tracklist-breakdown/

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Eric likes this.
  2. gouis

gouis Well-Known Member

The new cover is much better than the wide release one (unlike BBNG)

3. captainfog

captainfog A Prince Among Men And Moderators

Some blurb about the album:

mcherry and Eric like this.
  4. shellytakeabow

shellytakeabow Well-Known Member

Am I the only one that is getting some Jennifer Grey circa Dirty Dancing vibes off this album cover??? The split is cool though.

5. belispoke

belispoke New Member

I already have this preordered but I suppose I could just give that copy to a friend. I love Tennis. I am excited for this.

Eric likes this.
  6. siremobunny

siremobunny Well-Known Member

I get that vibe from the singer's look in general. :)

7. CAPacelli

CAPacelli Well-Known Member

Listened to the singles. Watched the videos. Read the 'backstory.'

This is the kind of music my 55 year old aunt listens to. In her mind ordering a second Shirley Temple at Sizzler is a wild night out.

Hard pass.

8. angryalan

angryalan Well-Known Member

80s mom jeans and perm right there.

9. Channo

Channo Member

What's really odd to me is the level of defense and even offense the mods are taking with this pick. CJ was in the guess thread criticizing people who wanted to swap already because they haven't heard the whole album yet. You go ahead and post me a link to where I can listen to the whole album before you make me pay $27 for it and then you can say that. Then there were other mods saying "it's a club and you're not always going to like what we're putting out" and like... yeah? Duh? So why get up in arms at people who don't like the pick? A statement like that directly goes against the other. It's like you guys are in the band.

Maybe an overreaction by me but I've not seen mods take this level of personal slight in regards to a pick backlash.

Personally, I like Tennis. They're a good band. The color variant for the vinyl looks really really great. I don't like the singles for the album, while I do like the artwork variant and the custom print. Maybe the album will even be half as good as y'all who've heard it say it is, and I'll eat my words. But it's just so weird to see the discourse playing out like this. Just IMO.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
  10. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

It says you're a new member, but the message reads like you've been here a while so not sure which it is. My experience is that people really become vocal on the forums and social media over albums they deem unworthy. The bigger the club gets the nastier some of the comments become. I remember Blessed Feathers getting a similar treatment from the mods, because they knew they were taking a "risk" in sharing something they believe in that maybe isn't widely accepted. Which is exactly why I joined this club. And I want someone who curates music for me to go to battle over their decisions, at least it shows they're willing to fall on their sword.

11. duke86fan

duke86fan Well-Known Member

Tbh modern woman was the only single i liked

But I'll give it a chance

Channo likes this.
  12. Channo

Channo Member

Long time lurker, first time poster, etc. I've been a member since Super Ape.

Definitely want the mods to go to bat for their picks, but do you not think a line is being crossed when a company's top person is giving you snark for wanting to use the swap feature they included in your membership, and JUST YESTERDAY sent an email stressing that the swap was a thing, almost as a precursor to this? And criticizing somebody for basing their decision on singles, because that's all that's out?

I understand my message probably won't be really well received since there's a really great relationship between the mods and the forum users/VMP members. But this was so weird to me I felt like I had to say something.

kvetcha, JoeC, lee newman and 8 others like this.
  13. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

By all means say something when you want to. And I agree it's a chicken or the egg/build your own reality situation when a preemptive email is sent explaining the swap feature right before the announcement. I also own my own business so completely understand when owners/employees defend their business decisions emphatically. I don't think a line was crossed, but that is also a matter of opinion.

lee newman, GritNGlitter and Channo like this.
  14. ranbalam

ranbalam Well-Known Member

Even the one with the egg?

JoeC likes this.
  15. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

I think the reason the swap email was sent yesterday because the process was changed and people would be wondering why it's not in the AOTM email today.

lee newman, Channo and Barry Lird like this.
  16. Channo

Channo Member

Fair enough. Maybe it's just me. Appreciate the level headed responses :)

If you haven't ever made a cocktail with egg white you have done goofed my friend. Can't remember exactly which one had the egg white (was it Search for Delicious??) but I've not been disappointed by a VMP cocktail yet.

17. Channo

Channo Member

Don't doubt that at all.

18. Morgan

Morgan Well-Known Member

Oh for sure there was a good reason behind it, but it wasn't a hard leap thinking the reason it was sent was because of a controversial release.

lee newman likes this.
  19. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

@teee74 is all about drinks with egg whites!

kvetcha, fritzg, GritNGlitter and 2 others like this.
  20. Channo

Channo Member

Pisco Sour Me Please

kvetcha, teee, Eric and 1 other person like this.