The Andrew Jones Diaries Aka Elac Speaker Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MattW, Feb 13, 2017.

1. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

So I've have had the Debut F6's for about a week now. Got 30-40 hours on them. Here is my review for the first week.
    Out of the box: looks A+, binding posts A+, grill covers are flexible which is a major plus if you ever had to deal with the hard plastic ones that break. They come with carpet spikes but also has absorbant jell feet for hardwood floors.

First use: oh shit I screwed up! They sound like shit! My 35 year old Bose 601s sound better then these. Next came a long string of texts to @HiFi Guy He calmed me down and assured me time was my friend. (At this point I'm thinking he smokes better shit then me if he thinks time is going to make these sound better). I mean the sound balance was all over the place, the midrange was too much, the highs were there but lacking and in the shadow of everything else. By last Friday I was ready to send them back.
    Instead I kept them and decided last weekend I would throw everything I could at them.
    I started with an album I know sounds good on Saturday, I wasn't impressed at all, I continued to try album after album and finished with the first album I started with. (Maybe I noticed a bit of change). Sunday same thing except when I got to my test album. At this point I realized they are in fact changing sound.
    The break in period is crucial to these. The sound is becoming balanced with every use. The highs are stepping out finally and that horrible mid sound is now getting so much better.
    I would recommend not worrying about proper placement like I did until they are broke in. You will just end up moving them again. Start with basic triangulation and run them for at least 100 hours.
    Let's talk reproduction, sound reproduction that is. These are lively cabinets with a rather cool design. The top section is completely isolated from the bottom two sub's. Each sub has a dedicated frequency that works off from a rather high tech crossover. The best way to explain what it does is to look at it like this, imagine if every article of clothing could magically fit everyone perfectly. Too small or too big is not a problem. In other words the cross over has a cool way of knowing how it should split itself. This is not your average crossover. Some of the tech guys can probably explain the design a little better. But look at it like this, your speakers think for themselves.
    Keep in mind Andrew and Elac pissed off a lot of companies with this design because its making other companies try to put cost effective high end speakers to compete. (Industry crickets).
    This morning I'm sipping coffee basking in the lovely sound that is Andrew Jones's heart beat.
    At half way to broke in I'm now completely sold on these speakers. They are now out performing my old Bose by light years.
    Disclaimer: some recordings are just bad, these speakers will let you know!

I would recommend these speakers to anyone that really enjoys music. You can't beat these speakers with out spending thousands more.
    Andrew Jones , my hat is off to you sir! I'm not sure how he did it but glad he did.
    All I can say is allow them to break in and you will be impressed!

Nathaniel D., Ketil, Tillman and 7 others like this.
  2. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

These speakers use the same drivers as the Elac B6s we've been telling everyone to buy! It's honestly why I'm being less of a sucker for "brands" and dig the products that have a mad scientist behind the design and engineering of what they bring to market. When you get customer service direct from the person who came up with the damned thing, there's no marketing or hype that can beat that.

3. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

@blujay is right. As @MattW and I discussed, I've not heard the Elacs, but I know they are a safe bet for two reasons:

Andrew Jones used to work for KEF and designed the UniQ driver. That speaker put the tweeter in place of the dust cap. Brilliant! And I've not heard a KEF I didn't like.

I've learned over the years that Michael Fremer (Stereophile/Analog Planet) and I have similar (but not the same) tastes when it comes to gear. He absolutely lost his mind on the B5. I've never seen him recommend any product so much. So the other B Series speakers are a safe bet by association.

The room, placement and associated gear make all the difference. So does personal taste. My speaker brand has the highest customer retention percentage in the industry, and I understand why. Some people just don't like them though. When buying speakers, you have to try them at home. Dealer demos are an indication of what they can do, but the rubber meets the road with your music in your listening room. Always get a money back guarantee.

4. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

It should also be said that the F series has the B design on top of them. Same specs.

5. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

Yep. The F series is the B series in a floorstanding design. Again, safe by association.

6. Jspaul

Jspaul Well-Known Member

I wish I hadn't read this thread...I'm looking for a pair of floor standing speakers...

7. swamp

swamp Well-Known Member

For real. I thought this was gonna be about Atlanta Braves legend Andruw Jones being the speaker at East LA College's graduation ceremony.

8. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Jspaul likes this.
  9. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Depending on the size of your space you can go with the smaller F5 and save a few bucks.

MattW and Jspaul like this.
  10. Jspaul

Jspaul Well-Known Member

What would the room size cutoff be? My system is in the front room of the house, a "smaller" room but has vaulted ceilings, opens into the foyer, dining room, kitchen, hallway and balconey to the second floor. Only has "three" walls and the forth is open to the whole damn house

11. Ed Selley

Ed Selley Well-Known Member

lee newman likes this.
  12. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

I'd splurge for the F7 then. How far away from the speakers do you normally sit?

Jspaul likes this.
  13. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Good to know. Unless I happen upon a sale like now, the ELAC may win out then.

MattW, Jspaul and HiFi Guy like this.
  14. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Yeah I could have gotten away with the f5s for sure.

15. Sturgus

Sturgus Well-Known Member

Any pics? Glad you are enjoying them.

HiFi Guy and lee newman like this.
  16. kvetcha

kvetcha Well-Known Member

*shuts eyes hard*

I love my Klipsch I love my Klipsch I love my Klipsch

17. Bjshawk

Bjshawk Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more on the ELAC's picked up a pair of Debut B6's on Amazon warehouse deal last summer for my office couldn't be happy hard to believe they only retail for $279.

I was currently looking for new towers for my front room and was between the Elac B5 Uni's and the q acoustic concept 40's. decided to try the q's first due to the mark down and already owning ELAC's. They just came in yesterday and I don't think they are going back simply stunning.

Running a project debut carbon espirt with a 2m Blue, Lounge phono, Marantz 6005, with blue jean canare cables and interconects.

I know this a thread about ELAC's but wanted to share
    image.jpg

MattW, Jspaul, HiFi Guy and 3 others like this.
  18. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

19. High Rant District

High Rant District Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful-looking room! And you even have hockey on the telly. NICE.

20. Bjshawk

Bjshawk Well-Known Member

Thanks it's a never ending work in progress, and I always have hockey on when spinning records if possible