The Beatles.

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by DavidA, May 29, 2015.

1. DavidA

DavidA The sun's not yellow, it's chicken

Because goddamn it, they deserve their own thread. And because we need a battlefield to meet on. Because some folks think it's fashionable to dislike The Beatles. And to them I say:

Seriously. Think about the time in which this was written. And how much these lyrics resonate with musicians and fans alike. Few artists were exploring states of mind and consciousness. The Beatles did that in a tuneful, accessible manner.

2. tylershippit

tylershippit Well-Known Member

3. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

Eh they're okay. Nothing to write home about. Supremely overrated. I like their first albums more than I do their later stuff. The later stuff doesn't do anything for me.

Peyton likes this.
  4. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

helllord likes this.
  5. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

Sorry have to get this out there from the other thread where I remained silent on this matter for a change

To everyone that said their simple songwriters, I ask you, have you heard 'Happiness is a Warm Gun'?

6. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

Yeah. Simple.

JoeC, Taylor and wokeupnew like this.
  7. Peyton

Peyton Well-Known Member

I get that people would put their lives on the line to say the Beatles are the best, they are amazing, they have done so much for music as a whole, they are anything but simple - I get it. Really. I respect it. But I'm just really indifferent on the Beatles. My other half loves them, I don't - but he knows better than to try to change my mind because it will result in a standstill. They are ok, I like songs from them, but I do find them overrated and I don't think they are the best overall. I have some records from them, but I'm not like... die hard or anything for them. *Kanye shrug*
    The Beatles frenzy and adoration is great, really. I can see why everyone is willing to sharpen their claws to try and convince people otherwise. But meh. I've always been in the minority of those who don't get the fascination with the Beatles. I'm a rebel.

Shellbelz15 and captainfog like this.
  8. captainfog

captainfog A Prince Among Men And Moderators

9. captainfog

Can I just say that Paul was damn sexy when he had the big beard and was singing in that deep gravelly voice.

DavidA likes this.
  10. captainfog

The George Harrison doco from a couple of years ago was brilliant. I went to the cinema to see that. He was such a beautiful dude :) I was in tears at the end when Ringo was talking about visiting him on his deathbed.

11. captainfog

I take it you've heard the Flaming Lips cover of Seargent Pepper? It's brilliant. And Miley <3

12. wokeupnew

I don't think anyone would ever say the Beatles are bad. They are not. They're just ridiculously overrated.

13. nolady

nolady Well-Known Member

I was raised by Boomers and my mom was obsessed with the British invasion. She even went to see the Beatles in 1964 when they came state side. I love the Beatles and when I feel the absolute worst, the B side of Abbey Road somehow always makes everything better.
    I think like Jackson Pollack or Pablo Picasso, they need to be appreciated, not only for what they are today but what they represented in the context of their own time. Also, who loves the movie Hard Day's Night?

14. wokeupnew

Also the Kinks are better.

15. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

I think the Beatles are fantastic, and one of the most important bands of all time, but I also agree they are overrated. I don't know if that makes sense but it's how I've always felt

wokeupnew likes this.
  16. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

Also Paul still kills live.

17. Vebberim

Vebberim Well-Known Member

The Beatles showed up at the right time and place, to be honest with everyone. Same thing with Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Lil Wayne.... Sometimes it's about the time, and how people see them that day. Sure, we can look back on numerous artists now and say they were fantastic and never seen (*AHEM Captain Beefheart AHEM*), but some are groundbreaking simply because an earthquake happened under their feet.

But I do enjoy most of the Beatles catalog, but if you can wrap up their entire catalog in a show for Cirque de Soli, that album will single-handedly prove definitive over their entire discography. What I'm saying is LOVE is all you need to know what the Beatles stood for.

CrazyDiamond84 likes this.
  18. Vebberim

Vebberim Well-Known Member

Oi sticky pudding, I honestly didn't mean to pun there.

19. crookedsparrow

crookedsparrow Well-Known Member

The Beatles are.

20. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

The Beatles are really important to me, I sincerely love their music and their story. I don't know why, I just find it interesting. I don't see all of their songs as simple. I really think that does them a disservice. Hell, look at "Tomorrow Never Knows" - the experiments they were doing with vocal manipulation and looped snippets of sounds were simply things that were not being done at the time. They took a genre and improved on it, and helped (along with other influential bands of that time) push it forward, paving the way for new bands to come along. I don't know if I'd call them the most important band ever, I don't think I'd call any one band the most important one ever, but they were and are important for the history of music.

I also don't see how someone could legitimately call them bad. That's ludicrous. Also, I feel like the people that do call them bad are just trying to be contrarian for no other reason than to just do it.

now let's talk Beatles music. Favorite album? Favorite Beatle? Favorite solo album?

JoeC and GritNGlitter like this.