The Blue Note Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by jefemarron, Jul 21, 2017.

1. oldschoolkirby

oldschoolkirby Well-Known Member

Geez... salivating now looking at these SRX releases. Really only interested in about 6 of them though... wonder if I get one per month if they'll last, or if the prices will jump up. Conundrum...

2. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

Same. I'm on a vinyl starvation diet for 2019 and trying to figure out how to trade my 5 Cochin Moons for 1 Adam's Apple (SRX).

3. craigdino

craigdino Well-Known Member

Damn son!

4. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

FANTASTIC FIND @Mr Moore I have had them both im my cart on the US Amazon but couldnt face the shipping & import.

5. Speedracer

Speedracer Well-Known Member

I had promised myself that I would only order 5 records from MM, but after having 17 in my cart at one point I'm happy I was even able to get myself down to just 6. Let the vinyl diet commence!:cry::cry::cry:

Screenshot 2019-01-11 at 11.08.10.png

6. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

Honestly, I think these are going to see a pretty wide general release so I'm hanging fire for more competitive pricing as they approach release or shortly after. All_your_music or rarewaves on eBay do good prices on US import stuff and I suspect they'll have them eventually.

7. craigdino

craigdino Well-Known Member

I hear you guys like Blue Notes around here...

Cross post from fresh grabs.
    D5A752D6-5034-4B5C-9658-FA0F4C36ADD7.jpeg
    B483E699-6561-4ECA-975E-91CB2CE7D973.jpeg

wgb113, WMEugene, alspriet and 12 others like this.
  8. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

9. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

10. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

Beautiful. Congrats.

btf1980 and Darin Star Boogie like this.
  11. birchstick

birchstick Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure you're going to have the entire catalog before 2019 comes to a close haha! Nice pick-ups!

12. birchstick

birchstick Well-Known Member

Not sure if this helps anyone or not regarding ordering new SRX titles, but I've listened to Free For All and Adam's Apple on SRX and have A Night in Tunisia on deck for this weekend. I picked these titles up specifically because I was familiar with them, and the previous Music Matters releases for these were out of my reach. Sonically, they are fantastic, as expected. I'd give the nod to Adam's Apple for having more of an in your room presence, while Free For All is exactly that - a free for all with six musicians going balls to the wall. I almost needed to shower after listening to it haha.

That being said, on my system I don't really see the benefit of the SRX over the previous MM campaigns. I would say pick up new SRX titles only if they are titles you want (need) in your collection. If there are other MM titles you want over the SRX at lower price points, jump on those while you can!

wgb113, lee newman, WMEugene and 10 others like this.
  13. fritzg

fritzg Well-Known Member

A reminder that with all the hype around the MM remasters and other Blue Note Anniversary reissues, there are bargains to be had with the Liberty "Van Gelder" pressings.

14. StPaulBrowns

StPaulBrowns Well-Known Member

Where might a guy find those? (Asking for a friend with a vinyl addiction problem)

I'm just starting to collect some of the Blue Note titles and have been a little overwhelmed with the options (this forum has helped ... A LOT).

So, I'm wondering if the Liberty releases are still available new (like the MM remasters, etc.)? Or only used via Discogs, etc.?

Thanks for the tip!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  15. recstar24

recstar24 Active Member

They are widely and easily available in the majority of record stores with a decent used jazz section. I've gotten tons of quality, good sounding stuff all around $10 or so - sidewinder, midnight blue, jimmy smith seems to always be available, they are plentiful.

Speedracer and Darin Star Boogie like this.
  16. StPaulBrowns

StPaulBrowns Well-Known Member

Found this helpful advice on the Steve Hoffman forum:

* If VAN GELDER is written in the deadwax areas, get it. Liberty reissues with the traditional Blue Note labels are the best bets. Also, look for Black/Blue UA reissues without the notes on the labels.

* Reissues by King Records in Japan in the late 70s and the early 80s are generally excellent. (ebay keywords: Blue Note King - Be sure to check the text box to search the entire listings, not just the titles)

When buying US Blue Note reissues, make sure you ask whether "van gelder" or "RVG" is etched on the dead wax. Also, thicker the vinyl, the better the quality of the pressing. Sometimes a 70's reissue with a thicker vinyl (with the required "van gelder" or "RVG") with whatever label will be better than a 60's Liberty pressing with a non-shiny label and thin vinyl (with the required "van gelder" or "RVG"). In other words, you may be able to pick up a greater sounding (basically identical to the originals) title for $10 instead of $30 or $40. ​

If you want the best for the money, without sacrificing the sound, do NOT buy the Classic 180 or 200 gram, stereo or mono reissues. Also, stay away from the Toshiba EMI Japanese, for the same reasons -- cold, steely-sounding cymbals. Sometimes, I buy these because I cannot find a Van Gelder US pressing or a Japanese King pressing, but they are a distant second, IMHO.

While i agree that the rvg reissues are very good, i would not dismiss the classic's. i think they also sound very good to excellent, and i have had not one problem with their pressings. yes, they will run you about $30, but a decent rvg reissue will probably be about the same, unless you're very lucky, and assuming you can find one. with the scarcity of blue notes these days, even a decent 70's reissue(unless you're talking about the 2 record sets, also good) is not easy to find, thus the higher prices. ​

17. recstar24

recstar24 Active Member

Yup - the first bullet point you have are the popular ones you typically fine in stores when you stumble upon a Blue Note. Almost always, underneath the blue note logo on the cover it will say property of Liberty records or something like that, and the Black/Blue UA record labels are the giveaway, with virtually all of them having the RVG in the deadwax.

18. Vizsla14

Vizsla14 Well-Known Member

I don't necessarily find this statement about availability to be true. I'm in DC where we have some great shops with huge jazz selections and Ive only come across one Liberty pressing in a shop - Sidewinder...and it was $25. I think its location dependent. A $10 copy must be pretty thrashed.

I do have several Libertys from Craigslist buys, and I can agree that these are great pressings, particularly RVG copies. I never understood the hate.

Given all that, I still decided to splurge...tonight's playlist:
    20190115_175018.jpg

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  19. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

In my limited experience, I agree. I recently bought a Liberty Conquistador!, dark blue label, black note, no RVG and it's possibly one of the best sounding records I own. Full disclosure, I don't own any BN OGs nor modern MM reissues but I honestly find it hard to believe there could be a noticeable improvement to anyone without exceptional hearing and/or set-up. It cost me £15 in NM (and I'm normally loathe to give that rating), just shy of $20, the same that BN75 cost on average over here. The londonjazzcollector site has these listed as no better than fillers, I just don't get that from this specific release.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  20. recstar24

recstar24 Active Member

I swear it’s a quality $10 and they run amok Chicagoland area! My sidewinder does have a weird scuff mark but it plays and tracks perfectly, cover is VG but it’s a nice player copy!

Just received my blossom dearie today too, finished side 1, and will definitely hit up some SRX vinyl later as well :)