The Blue Note Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by jefemarron, Jul 21, 2017.

1. cypert2

cypert2 Well-Known Member

Just got home and both the Shorter and Corea were waiting on me. Listening to Shorter now. Sounds very fine!

2. StPaulBrowns

StPaulBrowns Well-Known Member

Completely agree on Sam Rivers! (Not so much on Cassandra - just not my cup of tea.)

3. StPaulBrowns

StPaulBrowns Well-Known Member

Quick question for all you Blue Note aficionados: Can anyone speak to the quality of the 1997 Blue Note "Top Ten Series" pressings (O777 7s)?

The Jazz Record site says the following:
    • Issued 1997.
    • A brief re-issue series of ten of the most classic Blue Note albums.
    • Identified by a catalog number beginning with a “0777 7” prefix on the left side of the label.
    • These were limited edition, audiophile pressings on 180 gram vinyl remastered from the original analog source.
    • Titles were: Blue Train, Moanin’, Somethin’ Else, Go, Speak No Evil, Soul Station, Sonny Rollins Volume 2, Maiden Voyage, The Sidewinder and Song For My Father.
    • Excellent sound quality, often a nice substitute for an original copy.
    I've done some searching in the Steve Hoffman forum, but ... well, let's say folks have VERY strong opinions about preferred Blue Note pressings over there. I can't get them all via Music Matters - so I'm looking for a couple of quality, low-cost alternatives.

If you have any of these ten releases, how do they sound to your ear? Worth investing $20-25? Or should I just put the money toward my Music Matters savings account and hope they don't all sell out?

4. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

Which is why I instantly pre-ordered Sam Rivers, but held back on Cassandra. I really like her, but I'm not sure I need her third(?) best album when I already have Blue Light til Dawn and New Moon Daughter (on CD, but still). (Also, the Cassandra Wilson is more expensive as it's 2LPs).

I do appreciate that the Tone Poet series is highlighting some lesser known Blue Note albums though; not sure I would've explored Sam Rivers on my own.

5. mitchwagz

mitchwagz Well-Known Member

I have Lee Morgan’s The Sidewinder and Joe Henderson’s Page One which I think was put out a year later and not part of the top 10 series even though it used the same process if I’m not mistaken (yellow sticker, mastered from analog sources, audiophile pressing) and both sound really quite good. I unfortunately haven’t been able to compare them to other pressings though. I think they’re good if you can get them for that price range or less and don’t want to invest in more sought after pressings. I got both of the titles I listed for under $15 though but I think it was quite a bargain. They will at least be clean! Compared to the sound of some of my MM pressings though, they don’t quite compare in instrument separation and definition. Though that’s a pretty high bar.

6. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

The packaging on the tone poet records are phenomenal. Thick stock, gatefold with great photos and clear liner notes. Gonna listen tonight but I really am digging these so far

Selaws, oldschoolkirby, TCell and 6 others like this.
  7. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

Was emailed late last night my Shorter (only one I ordered) was going to be delayed, got an email not too long ago that it shipped and will be delivered tomorrow

8. fritzg

fritzg Well-Known Member

Both Tone Poet albums arrived. Great sound. Great music. Great packaging. Great value. Best bang for the buck of the modern Blue Note reissues. This AAA series is a keeper.

POGunter, alspriet, Selaws and 12 others like this.
  9. oldschoolkirby

oldschoolkirby Well-Known Member

Same actually - should be out for delivery now.

Darin Star Boogie and lee newman like this.
  10. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

For 30 bucks a pop it's great stuff, I don't have any of the MM releases but how does this compare? For half the price is it anywhere on the same level audio wise?

11. birchstick

birchstick Well-Known Member

All of you fellow Coloradans, not sure why yours are delayed. I was using the new (to me) UPS GPS tracking of my Wayne Shorter delivery all day yesterday - it was within 5-10 minutes of my house all day. Went out to dinner, and walked past the truck on it's way to my house. Anyway, spinning Etc right now and am really enjoying it! On top of a solid session, it is easily Music Matters quality, as stated it would be.

12. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

I had it ordered, canceled and re-ordered when the coupon was added

13. fritzg

fritzg Well-Known Member

Yes

14. craigdino

craigdino Well-Known Member

I finally caved and grabbed etcetera. Pumped to hear such great things!

alspriet, Mather, TCell and 5 others like this.
  15. SnowmaNick

SnowmaNick Well-Known Member

I can’t tell if MM and TP are the same quality level as they don’t have duplicate titles that I could compare. I can say this based off the 2 TP and 28 MM titles that I have. They are near enough to make no difference regardless of price. Considering the very high quality and much lower price of the TP, they are an absolute bargain.

POGunter, alspriet, TCell and 6 others like this.
  16. craigdino

craigdino Well-Known Member

TP has a good amount of releases that do not have true “original releases” (ie late 70s and on for the first release) which is what really appeals to me about this series. Glad the quality is so top notch.

POGunter, alspriet, pijo and 6 others like this.
  17. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

That is awesome. Obviously MM's titles are some of the all time great jazz records but I am happy to get to hear some lesser known gems, so excited for Cornbread. My 75 anniversary pressing is fine but I imagine this press will blow it out of the water

POGunter, alspriet, pijo and 5 others like this.
  18. fritzg

fritzg Well-Known Member

Get the Corea, too. Both are spectacular.

19. Darin Star Boogie

Darin Star Boogie Well-Known Member

On my second listen of Etcetera and wow this is fantastic! Nervous to check out the Corea album because I’m sure it will end with an order for both.

Cannot complain about affordable quality pressings however.

20. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

This is what I was hoping to hear. As a Brit the tone notes are a lot more expensive due to shipping. I jumped on the Chic Corea when it appeared on the VMP store but held off on the etcetera. Hearing all the great stuff about this series, I think I will put the order in for etcetera tomorrow.