The Blue Note Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by jefemarron, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

maybe this is why mine is delayed?

2. mitchwagz

mitchwagz Well-Known Member

Yeah mine came like that too but thankfully the sleeve was still in perfect condition. Sound is amazing too. 3/3 so far for me.

3. Vizsla14

Vizsla14 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't wait much longer. After waiting WAY too long for my LRS to stock them, I caved and went online once I saw Etcetera was sold out pretty much everywhere. I found a seller on lp.reverb that had both Chick Corea and Wayne Shorter stocked (though not listed) and placed an order.

These are HOT. Etcetera is great, but I think Chick is better. Chick just has more "in the room" presence. Now that people have had a taste, I suspect the rest of the series will go quick. Not only are the pressings and mastering great, but the packaging is exceptional for the pricepoint.

This may be wierd, but has anyone noticed that the covers smell stickying pudding amazing? Like cookie dough. That may be my favorite part.

4. oldschoolkirby

oldschoolkirby Well-Known Member

Lucky! I guess it was somewhere along those extra 10 miles up to FoCo is what did me in. ;)

Darin Star Boogie and mitchwagz like this.
  5. SnowmaNick

SnowmaNick Well-Known Member

Same but at least mine arrived ok. Funny enough another Amazon order arrived and was still in the single mailer. So, who knows? Amazon has grown so huge it’s inconsistent from one order to the next.

6. Ben Riggin

Ben Riggin New Member

From all the accounts I've read thus far, in terms of quality, Contours keeps the pace set by the first two releases. I didn't expect any different but it is comforting to hear. It furthers the notion that anyone on the fence about these releases should jump on them because the quality to cost ratio is quite excellent.

7. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

I now have no expectation that Contours is going to come to me in a playable condition, it shipped with dog and cat food

8. MattS

MattS Well-Known Member

Loved Etc. Absolutely fanastic. I think I may like Now he sobs even more, just got Countors but can't listen til tomorrow. What do you, and others who have listened, think of the music?

9. Mike H

Mike H Well-Known Member

Might head to my local store today and see if that scores album is there. If not, I might take the plunge and order it online today...

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  10. HuddieLedbetter

HuddieLedbetter Member

Does anyone know of a shop where I could just commit to the series, give a credit card, get 10% off and free shipping (two albums off ought to qualify for many shops) and not have to think about it anymore? I loved that about the original MMJ... Has anyone heard from any shops about this? (That ideally ship with care...)

My closest local in Boston is actually above MSRP :-/

11. Ben Riggin

Ben Riggin New Member

I think it's great and would have sat finely in the company of Shorter's other mid 60's work. A nice mix of tunes but I particularly like the ballad Penelope, the 5/4 groove of Indian Song and Barracudas, where Herbie shines his brightest. It's just got a great 60's Blue Note post-bop sound to it. Also, I've always really liked Cecil McBee as a bassist.

12. Vizsla14

BLUF: Pay an extra $2-3 and support your local shop.

I don't think you're going to get any of the items on your want list from an actual storefront. 10% off plus free shipping for just buying a couple records? Maybe at high volume online outlets like Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Turntable Lab, or Acoustic Sounds.

In my experience, the two shops I go to locally that sell new vinyl are usually at or a few bucks over online MSRP. Local shops are getting the shaft from distributers and labels right now. They just can't push the volume that online retail can, and the distributers go where the volume is. Sony just stopped distributing to a ton of local stores and they are responsible for distribution of a bunch of popular labels. Despite the vinyl boom, local shops are struggling and some in my area are or have plans to close down.

13. HuddieLedbetter

HuddieLedbetter Member

Possibly -- on the flip side, elusive, music direct, etc all routinely offer 15% with every minor holiday and 20% once or twice a year and free shipping is $49 to $99/order. I'm offering to pay $500 up front for the convenience of having someone ship me the records over the course of a year... (Somewhat like VMP) at a small discount for stock titles and shipping. I'd pay MSRP and at point of purchase but over just doesn't makes sense (for me) given that disti is 20-30 pts on wholesale depending on your volume. Heck, I'd probably buy at my local if they'd simply pull the titles and I could just stop by and pay list... But not $39 on a $35 record that is $27-31 on Amazon

That said... Since it doesn't exist, perhaps it isn't a good model and you're right

14. Vizsla14

Ah, I see. I thought you meant buying 1-2 at a time. Agree, paying up-front would be nice. I will say that based on how my shop get's it's orders from Universal, it's a roll of the dice whether they will get the titles I want in. Basically, they had no idea if/when they would actually get the tone poet series, only that they ordered it. Paying up front could be a risk.

Since my local shop doesn't seem to be getting them in, I'm trying to work a deal with another shop that they hold the copies to save the shipping cost.

15. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

to follow up, not only did it ship with the 25 lb bag of dog and 10 lb bag of cat food, it was shipped loose

yet it was completely unharmed, how? I will never know

16. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

Amazon has the most consistently inconsistent shipping of anyone I deal with. Even the knuckleheads at Saddle Creek know better than to just stick a shipping label on the shrink.

17. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

Ugh. My Sam Rivers pre-order from Amazon.ca has a delivery estimate of April 25th - May 21? At least I locked it in at $29 Cdn.

18. kafunis

kafunis Well-Known Member

Read on Hoffman a quote from Joe Harley saying that KG is cutting from master tape if available on the 80th and he had a TP of Dex's and had KG in the deadwax , so looks like these will be sound good if the pressings are clean .

19. fritzg

fritzg Well-Known Member

Hmmm. You have a link to that thread?

20. kafunis

kafunis Well-Known Member

Think it's in the MM thread, I'll try and find it later, it's from a couple of days ago .