The English Premier League And Other Football Related Chat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by captainfog, Aug 22, 2015.

1. Max Sterling

Max Sterling Well-Known Member

I don't have any television subscriptions. I could probably stream a streamer or something, but I'm also working, and just casually checking in now and then >_>

2. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Oh right the wc is a protected event here so is guaranteed on free to air tv so get it on their free players.

Only 15 mins left. Could pass a trip to the toilet off as a big shit haha

Thackeraye and Max Sterling like this.
  3. ayayrawn

ayayrawn Well-Known Member

This is intense as hell.

GelloJive and JoeMac7 like this.
  4. JoeMac7

I’m really enjoying this game. It’s been a proper game of two halves. Would love to see my man Rashford score an important goal and stick two fingers up to stickying pudding Jose! Rashford > Lead Boots Lukaku

5. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

RT

6. JoeMac7

Congrats Croatia!

A good team and Luca Modric in particular deserves this stage.

Still allez les bleus!! I want my dollar haha!!

7. Max Sterling

Max Sterling Well-Known Member

I don't think England would have put up a good match against France, but I feel like this match up is anyone's game. I really hope it's a good one.

ayayrawn and wokeupnew like this.
  8. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

Well lads and lasses, I’m absolutely gutted. I’ve waited 43 years to see England make the final and I don’t think I’ve ever believed we could as much as this year. Gonna have a thick head in the morning.

9. JoeMac7

Keep the faith, while it probably isn’t as talented a team as last time in Italia 90 it is a young team at the start not an older team towards the end like it was. Who knows what these lads can do in the next 4 years.

Mr Moore and taylorgc1992 like this.
  10. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

Team and tbe outcome remind me a little of germanys team 2006. With england also being current u17 an u20 Champions i see high chances of them going to finales in the next years

11. taylorgc1992

taylorgc1992 Well-Known Member

I was wondering where Perisic has been this whole tournament and then he suddenly woke up in this second half. When Perisic is on his game, he terrorizes defenses. Hopefully he can repeat this performance against France.

GelloJive and wokeupnew like this.
  12. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

So France played the favourites half of the tournament and went to the final in an impressive way and play a team that hardly made the finals. When did that happen before.

GelloJive, wokeupnew and JoeMac7 like this.
  13. JoeMac7

Germany in 2002. They are by far and away the worst finalists I’ve seen. I think that was our big shot as the Irish, had we got past Spain I think there would have been every chance that it was us in that final.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
    wokeupnew likes this.
  14. wokeupnew

Agreed. I’ve seen many people peg England as favorites for the 2022 WC because they’ve won those youth championships. They’re still a young squad, they’ll be back.

Also for all we know they might have gotten crushed by France on Sunday anyways. That back three would crumble with Mbappe and Grizemann running at them from all sides.

GelloJive and Mr Moore like this.
  15. taylorgc1992

taylorgc1992 Well-Known Member

France played an Argentina that looked like complete trash and still managed to give up three goals and then beat a Belgium team that looked like garbage by one goal. I would hardly say their road to the final was impressive. Belgium were my favorite team in this tournament but they were trash against France. Croatia had to beat a Russian team that was far better and more resolute than they had any right to be and beat an England team that looked great against Sweden (another team resolute in their defense). I honestly don't see France as being heavy favorites. Croatia has a stronger midfield and more experienced players.

alspriet likes this.
  16. Jan

Jan Well-Known Member

then i probably just saw a very different tournament. I found Frances way to the finals against these teams pretty impressive. Just blaming their advancing to the finals against Uruguay, Argentina and Belgium on weak opponents seems like a very hot take to me. I give it to Croatia that they are resilient but having to go to overtime against Denmark, Russia and England i was a little disappointed how little chances their strong midfield created against this team. I was very surprised how England dominated the midfield against them for 60 minutes. But as France saw with Portugal in the Euro finals anything can happen in a final.

17. uvwxVinyl

uvwxVinyl Well-Known Member

I like the Croatian story and their resilience as well. They didn't even qualify automatically for this tournament! Getting out of the group was also great, especially that performance against Argentina. You have to look at the state of what Croatian football was in 2 years ago at the EM where the fans were throwing flares on to the pitch and protesting their FA.

I think Modric is world class and he should actually win the ballon d'or this season in my opinion. I don't just say this based on the back of this world cup, but I've been watching Modric since his days at Spurs and really hoped he would sign for United. He's fantastic! 120 minutes in the last 3 games, and also 1 day less of rest compared to France doesn't really help them but I hope they will manage now. It's a great story give the size of the country!

I feel a bit sorry for England actually. For once the fans were and media were unified in their support of the team, something I've rarely seen at a major tournament. There was no real drama with refs making poor decisions against them, and they even managed a shootout! I think team looks good together and I'm impressed that it's not just players from the top 4 clubs in England as it has usually been. What Southgate has done is amazing but now the expectations in the country are much higher and those expectations are always what seems to derail the team. I hope he can keep this core grounded because they're all still young and could definitely develop into a great team and challenge for the EM or WM in 2-4 years time again.

A major issue for me, that's almost like a meme at this point, is the soft mentality. When the chips are down they still look like deer in the headlights and collapse. It's no coincidence they have 5-6 Spurs players that seem to have the same soft mentality at club level. I think they still need a couple of senior players or just players with some nerves to settle things down when the game is turning against you. They were completely out of the game after about 50 minutes yesterday and never looked like coming back.

18. wokeupnew

So Spursy of England to lose in the semifinals but Kane will still pick up the Golden Boot. Smh. I had high hopes for Spurs this season based on England’s performace in the WC. I still think they can win the league with the right performances in close games. Lloris winning the WC with France should be a boost for his confidence at least.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  19. wokeupnew

AD67A040-BE7A-470A-8129-D9670E08A314.png

It looks like it’s @JoeMac7 running away with this thing. It’s harder to make a difference in the later stages when everyone basically has the same players. I’m banking that France has a dominating performance against Croatia. There’s no limits now on number of players per team so I have like 8 France players in my squad for the finals.

alspriet and JoeMac7 like this.
  20. JoeMac7

I’m not sure whether to stick or twist seeing as you get points for the 3rd/4th play off. Is a gamble because you could get another b team snooze off!!

wokeupnew likes this.