The English Premier League And Other Football Related Chat

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by captainfog, Aug 22, 2015.

1. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

£12 million for Fellaini!! Give Ole the job right now!

2. DTKnuckles

DTKnuckles Well-Known Member

I'm kind of excited about the younger generation coming through. We haven't had a decent goal scorer since Donavan. There is a game this weekend, Panama? or was that during the week.

wokeupnew likes this.
  3. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

That was during the week, Costa Rica is this weekend. I genuinely think Sargent and Weah are the attacking future, but they aren’t there yet. McKinnie is also solid playing good minutes for Shalke.

DTKnuckles likes this.
  4. wokeupnew

The slip is happening...

5. JoeMac7

0F43084F-AEB6-453E-83EE-9C1589109D3C.gif

2C9A82AE-1347-45BF-A44A-8BE65DBF1DD9.gif

wokeupnew likes this.
  6. JoeMac7

As much as I enjoyed reliving that dirty hun’s humiliation again that’s not going to happen with this Liverpool team, city will have to win it, Liverpool won’t implode and hand it to them, this side is too good.

wokeupnew likes this.
  7. mdmost

mdmost Well-Known Member

As a LFC supporter, I don't know if I can agree with Liverpool not imploding. 2 straight games they've came away with 2 points when 6 were there in hand. Injuries are piling up in the backfield and players are being played out of position and it shows. Liverpool haven't looked like a championship contender since December. They're going to need City to lose points and outside of odd results, I don't see that happening all that often. City is way too good. And don't look now but Tottenham is right in this when it was originally thought of as just a two team race. I'm gearing myself up for a let down because that's all I've ever known with LFC. I will add I am normally massively pessimistic about my sports teams.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
    wokeupnew likes this.
  8. JoeMac7

They may not win it. City are an extremely good team. That doesn’t mean they’ve imploded. City will drop points before the end of the season too, it’s inevitable due
    to the pile up of fixtures and the funny things pressure does to you.

What I mean by not imploding is that if this Liverpool team is in the box seat with 3 games to go they’ll find a way to get across the line, they wont spectacularly collapse like in 2014.

I’ll eat my hat if spurs win the title.

wokeupnew likes this.
  9. mdmost

mdmost Well-Known Member

I can agree with some of that but I'm not sure they'll be in that seat with the shaky play they're having. The Man U match in a couple weeks is looming very large. I think some of it will come down to which team bows out of Champions League first. I'd put money on Liverpool than City. I fear any game that Van Dyke would miss even if it's at Anfield. Our backfield is such a mess outside of Robertson and Van Dyke. I'm leery of extended time with Lovren. We've seen how that goes before.

wokeupnew likes this.
  10. wokeupnew

I disagree because of what @mdmost said. Injuries, luck, grinding out results. Liverpool were extremely lucky that Milner was not called offside, they would have been 2 points ahead if that had happened.
    I think whoever drops out of the CL first is going to win it. I just don’t see how Liverpool or City go deep and both stay afloat in the PL. rotation and fixture congestion, plus injuries is going to be a huge issue.

Edit: I quoted your first post and posted it before reading your second one. Agreed.
    I’ll cook it for you, what flavors do you like? :D

(lol we aren’t winning, but I’d love 2nd in a 2 horse race that never included us)

JoeMac7 likes this.
  11. JoeMac7

What I’ll say is were you saying the same thing about city in December? It’s impossible to go through a season without wobbles. Liverpool have dropped points in a couple of games but Leicester and West Ham away are traditionally tricky fixtures.

Hopefully we smash you at Old Trafford, and every time we play you, but then the same for city, they have to come to our place too lol.

Liverpool will be there or there abouts but if they miss out to city I’m convinced it will be because city have been the better team, not because of a dramatic implosion. I also know for a fact that both teams will drop more points and that for both of them it could well happen in the unexpected games rather than Utd/Chelsea/Spurs

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    wokeupnew likes this.
  12. wokeupnew

The last part of what you say is mostly true. I do not think Spurs can go to Anfield and the Ethiad and get two wins. I would be so happy with draws. There’s more chance that they slip up against someone they wouldn’t expect

The PL is weird. Big 6 teams rotate players against the West Hams, Watfords, Fulham, etc. because they assume it’ll be easier. But those teams they’re facing know that Big 6 teams are tough, so they’re likely to bring their A game. The big 6 team is handicapped against a lower table team that wants to win. Most occasions that ends up being a tough battle.

JoeMac7 likes this.
  13. JoeMac7

But it’s a squad game and you can’t play the same 11 every week. You’ve got to look to rotate against the “smaller” teams rather than the “bigger” teams as well.

One of the joys of the English game is that there are generally fewer walkovers than in other leagues, at the very minimum the opposition will run hard and physically compete, it’s what makes the premier league such an appealing product outside of its own boundaries when compared with other leagues. There is also the fear of relegation providing a motivator for teams down there too.

wokeupnew likes this.
  14. whoisbeck

whoisbeck Well-Known Member

We aren't at that stage of ridiculousness. Blunder against Bournemouth aside, we are a solid team with players that just aren't suited to Sarri's style. We have no problem creating chances, but we have been lacking a critical finisher. Higuain may fix that, so I wouldn't write us out of top four yet.

15. JoeMac7

Not writing you off, just dull football, it actually reminds me more, if I’m honest, of us under van Gaal. That is the worst 2 years in my 30 following United. Turgid slow football, possession for possessions sake, minimal goals and zero excitement.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    wokeupnew likes this.
  16. whoisbeck

I'll agree with you there. We are dull and I honestly think it's because of our players. This happens every season, every coach. It's annoying. I think there will be a massive overhaul over the summer with a looming transfer ban and Hazard most likely leaving. We will need to sign players that actually know how to surrender to the team and give a damn.

wokeupnew likes this.
  17. mdmost

mdmost Well-Known Member

Pep taking goal differential out of the title run equation.

wokeupnew likes this.
  18. wokeupnew

Chelsea are so shit.

19. JoeMac7

Woah! After that I can’t wait a week tomorrow. Sit back, let Chelsea have the ball and let Lingard, Rashford & Martial run at them on the break!

wokeupnew likes this.
  20. whoisbeck

I keep hoping every misstep will open the boards eyes to what has been going on year after year, but that seems to be becoming a fool's errand.

wokeupnew likes this.