Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dbarila, Jan 9, 2018.
i got nothin. but i am sorry for your loss.
Oh, it's fine, it was maybe 4 oz of the stuff total. I've just started making ~160mL at a time, which is a small amount that's sufficient for a dozen records. It'll take me ages to get through the bottle.
Yeah, I wish I'd gone down that route. I mixed the full gallon, managed to get through half of it before noticing the grime but still a bit ticked off at the ways it's gone. Same here @6od - just ambient room temperature but its a pretty solid wood cabinet so I'd imagine it keeps fairly cool inside.
Did anyone ever try contacting TTVJ with these issues to see what they say? When I contacted them about the brown slime he said it could have been a reaction with the plastic bottle but it was still safe to use. I just stopped using it because the slime was getting all over my brushes.
fwiw i dumped it in the arrowhead distilled gallon jug. very generic.
Thats what really bugs me about some(not all) vinyl solutions.........the potential that its gonna mutate into a jellyfish/slime blob and thus waste my damn money.
My basement is always very cool, like just under 70 degrees F. I imagine if I kept it upstairs it’d be a different story. The troubles other people have had make me think I’ll go the way of @kvetcha in the next batch.
Got my TTVJ solution mixed together. Poured it on the record. Spread it around. Got some bubbles working. Let it sit for a minute or so.
...Accidentally had the shop-vac shooting OUT air and not sucking IN air.
Plastic extension blows off and nails my new copy of Abbey Road. 2 small scratches in two places.
...I can tell we are off to a great start.
I'm sorry, dude. But...
Thanks for being a good sport and sharing this story. Although it's a bummer about the scratches, I did laugh at this story before I got to that part.
I'm very sorry this happened to you. Not to be all "I've been spending time on car and auto detailing forums" but this very much reminds me of this Amazon review for this foam gun I just bought:
(He didn't read the directions correctly. Or perhaps, at all.)
Ya know what. It was an $18 repress of Abbey Road. Side A is ruined now, and I learned a valuable lesson.
Also, with regards to the mixed TTVJ solution... I didn't expect it to be as yellow as it is when mixed. Normal?
Yup, its yellowy. Looks like bong water.
Mine looks more brown, but yeah, coloration is normal.
I assumed that was where the Gold in the name came from.
No, it "makes your disks sound like GOLD". Don't you read marketing gimmicks?
If you have room in your fridge, store your solution in there. I've had mine in a gallon jug in the back of my spare fridge for some time now... no issues.
Just wanted to post what I've found to be an inexpensive investment for cleaning that I've been using for the past year. I use a 100:1 tergitol solution, a groovmaster label saver, a 4" paint edger, and some nice microfiber cloths for drying. The system has its pluses and minuses. The groovmaster is overpriced imo (if you're a little handy you can probably make one) but it was easier for me to buy it as a newb. I bought some tergitol from an archival supply place, some spray bottles and an edger from the local hardware shop, and the microfiber cloths on amazon. Basically I just follow the process laid out here:
I have two spray bottles 1. with tergiol diluted 1:100 with deionized h2o 2. with just deionized water for rinsing.
-I lay out what I have to clean
-pull out the vinyl and lay out new inner sleeves, placing the to be cleaned in a plastic dish rack
-i put the record in the groovmaster
-rinse, spray with the tergitol solution,
-holding the groovmaster handle in one hand i iuse the edger to clean the side with the tergitol solution
-i just go around in each direction 10-20 times, similar to a spin clean
-repeat on the second side,
-use a soft paint sponge to remove some excess water
-dry with a microfiber cloth
-carefully remove from the groovmaster
-finish drying around the label and place back in the plastic dish rack for air drying
I'm sure this is more cumbersome than a nice cleaning machine, but all in I spent about $100 and I have enough cleaning solution to last a lifetime. I just need to buy replacement paint edger pads every so often.
There are some dangers to this method, but it's pretty hard to screw up. I'm sure the drying method with microfiber cloths leaves the occasional fiber on the vinyl, but I clean my stylus often and haven't noticed that it's a problem. You could use a personal vacuum system if you wanted with this set-up but it hasn't been necessary for me.
Just thought I'd post something for the frugal, inexperienced, and / or newbie and provide a potential alternative to some of the very nice and very expensive systems