The Pink Floyd Thread: If there isn't one already

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Dorfus, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Dorfus

Dorfus Member

I've found myself really drawn back into Pink Floyd after the RSD 2018 Mono Piper album. In hunting around on the forum, I wasn't able to find a thread dedicated to Pink Floyd and was surprised... There's a lot of interesting Floyd vinyl out there and it'd be neat to have a place to discuss it.

Anyone have any interesting Pink Floyd vinyl in their collection? I recently aquired a Picture Disc of Wish You Were Here from someone's First XI box set and I'm actually pleasantly surprised that it is both listenable and enjoyable. My copy came with the diver postcard, original black shrink / sticker, and inner sleeve.

What cool Pink Floyd stuff do you have in your library?

2. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

I don’t know how much ‘cool’ Floydni have in the collection. What I do have is my personal peak albums in the discography and am working on acquiring all of them as I remember to grab them.

If I sound ‘meh’ pardon me. I fvcking love Floyd. I’m just at a wedding and drunk. :cool:

3. ThePakoBuelna

ThePakoBuelna Well-Known Member

The only Floyd albums I have right now is WYWH and DSOTM. But I'm trying to slowly complete my collection.

Any pressings known for the quality? I've got the Pink Floyd Records from a few years back and they sound awesome, but I'm always wondering if there are better pressings or do I need to upgrade my system. :p

wallystripes and displayname like this.
  4. taylorgc1992

taylorgc1992 Well-Known Member

Yeah, aside from RSD Piper, I don't have any particularly "cool" Floyd vinyl. However, I do own an original copy of WYWH (my favorite album of all time) and it still has the original black shrinkwrap on it.

5. Tanqueray

Tanqueray Well-Known Member

Pink Floyd is my all time favourite band. I love their music and I adore Roger Waters solo albums . I’ll post some pics of my collection in a bit :)

6. Tanqueray

My Pink Floyd/Roger Waters/David Gilmour Collection on Vinyl and CD......Piper RSD 2018 en route from the UK :)

F9A9D9D4-68AC-4629-937B-3DBA6D0715E8.jpeg 2CDFFFFE-39C2-4540-82D2-D038426AAAAB.jpeg A28C98C0-8C4B-4118-BAD0-986498B1DB7A.jpeg

7. Tys1

Tys1 Well-Known Member

Recently picked this up and was very pleased with both how great it is, and how relatively cheap it still is. If you don’t have this yet, change that.
    7ECB11C1-2079-471B-B5D7-200E21B04EDD.jpeg

8. ThePakoBuelna

What are those editions of DSOTM & WYWH? Don't recall seeing them before.

Tanqueray likes this.
  9. cypert2

cypert2 Well-Known Member

Relics

I preordered this. Nick Mason drawn cover, remastered by Grundman. This should be a good one.

10. AndySlash

AndySlash tossing out punchlines that were never there

ah, floyd, my first and to this day biggest musical love. i wish i could share everything i have, but it’s all currently in boxes for an upcoming move.

most interesting to people here that’s in my collection probably would be the original 4xlp pulse set. i ordered it from amazon uk waaay back in 1999 or something like that when i first discovered you could order things over the interent from other countries.i’m very glad it’s getting a reissue here in the next couple weeks as i’m sure a lot of fans haven’t been able to listen to this one on vinyl before.

i have soooo much floyd stuff, i probably have 25 copies of dark side of the moon over several formats alone. the reissue campaign over the last couple years only made it grow. but these reissues have been well worth it, imo. it was nice to finally listen to clean, great sounding copies of the old records like saucerful that i only had used and abused copies of prior to these new ones coming out.

when i unpack after i move, i’ll try to remember to take pictures when i get to the floyd collection and post them here.

11. Dorfus

Dorfus Member

Apparently the 2016 pressings in the UK are really nice sounding, right? I've been mostly focuswd on earlier Japanese pressings, since the USA ones seem kind of iffy. I had a real bad copy of the USA 2016 Wall repress... Ugh. Sounds worse than my picture disc.

So Pulse is recommended? I have very little of anything post Wall.

cypert2 and displayname like this.
  12. AndySlash

AndySlash tossing out punchlines that were never there

i mean, if you’re cool with having several post-waters floyd songs, pulse is probably the definitive live album to have. it has a full performance of dark side and covers most of the bases as far as popular hits go. and for my money, there’s no version of comfortably numb i’d rather hear, the solo moves me every time. some will say pulse and late day floyd in general is bloated and lacks edge, and i won’t disagree their edge left with waters, but i do think you could argue that floyd has *always* been bloated.

13. Dorfus

Dorfus Member

One could argue that the bloat is part of the charm!

14. cousin joe

cousin joe Active Member

Good thread!

“Discovered” Obscured By Clouds last summer and played that a bunch, along with Pompeii (got a director’s cut rip). I feel like I go through phases with them, but when I’m on one, I’m on it.

How’s the mono mix? I’m not a fan of the Syd-era musically...was Piper originally mixed for mono? Sorry if I’m being naive here, but it seems this band was meant for stereo.

lee newman and displayname like this.
  15. cousin joe

cousin joe Active Member

That cover is really doing it for me

Tanqueray and displayname like this.
  16. Tanqueray

Yeah I love the cover as well

17. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

I’ve never considered myself a Pink Floyd fan. I inadvertently heard a few tracks on “Meddle” and bought it on a deal and love it. What album would you all recommend for me next?

18. ThePakoBuelna

You can't go wrong with Wish You Were Here, but I have a bias because it's my favorite Floyd album.:p

19. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

I'm sure others might disagree, but I think PF never really does a hard left turn anywhere in their discography. It's all a nice transition and good growth/gradual change from one album to the next. You might not love them all, but I think if you stick within the same general eras you won't automatically hate anything. Just slowly explore it by going up and down the list little by little.

Having said that, I think you could just look at their discography and go 1-2 albums in either direction and be pretty safe. But then you also always go to the big hit albums too. Wish You Where Here is also my personal favorite, but DSOTM is an undeniable vinyl master piece, and it seems like everyone knows the big hits off The Wall. I'm sure Dark Side gets old for some people, but it really proves to you how great vinyl can sound.

20. Juiceless

Juiceless Well-Known Member

Who wants to help me pick a good pressing of DOTM? Don't want to pay a million dollars, but willing to pay like $50.

wallystripes and Nathaniel D. like this.