The Pink Floyd Thread: If there isn't one already

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Dorfus, Apr 28, 2018.

1. Yer Ol' Uncle D

Yer Ol' Uncle D Well-Known Member

Pulled out this Floyd bootleg tonight. Figured it would feel at home here...

9C16FF3F-89E8-4244-8E49-6694DCE87BB9.jpeg B727AA25-039E-4608-BE7F-CFC434911DE4.jpeg

2. Darin Star Boogie

Darin Star Boogie Well-Known Member

Nathaniel D. likes this.
  3. cgp

cgp Active Member

Any chances they'll release the mono A Saucerful of Secrets like they did with the RSD Piper? I've got a mono bootleg but the vinyl isn't great.

ThePakoBuelna likes this.
  4. Darin Star Boogie

Darin Star Boogie Well-Known Member

I’m still waiting for a standard release of the mono Piper. Local record store owner told me it was coming...that was early summer 2018.

...still waiting. :(

5. AndySlash

AndySlash survey says?

this is real cool, thanks for sharing. any idea of the date of the performance (i.e. pre- or post-album release)? i've always enjoyed listening to the 72 shows to hear the work-in-progress versions. despite still being very good, post-album shows are usually only notable based on what else was played in the non-dsotm set/encore since there wasn't a lot of variance in the dsotm portion of those shows.

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  6. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

What I am waiting for is a mono version of A Saucerful of Secrets for next RSD like they did for Piper.

7. Yer Ol' Uncle D

Yer Ol' Uncle D Well-Known Member

It's this one. Soundboard source but it sounds quite nice - not as dry and sterile as SBDs can sometimes be.

https://www.discogs.com/Screaming-Abdabs-Brain-Damage/release/1923377

8. AndySlash

AndySlash survey says?

ah, yes. i thought maybe with the reference to the old band names on the sleeve that it was an older pre-album show. floyd did officially release that wembley show as part of the dsotm and wywh immersion sets (and then the echoes encore as part of the early years box). perhaps they will get a vinyl treatment one day.

the live wall release posted a bit earlier in this thread got me hoping that would be one of the next vinyl releases.

9. hokeydokey

hokeydokey Well-Known Member

They did a good job on this! Seriously. That guitar solo!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  10. hokeydokey

AndySlash and lee newman like this.
  11. AndySlash

AndySlash survey says?

12. LeeVing

LeeVing Well-Known Member

Nathaniel D. likes this.
  13. AndySlash

AndySlash survey says?

thanks for the link to this, always meant to watch it but never did.

a couple things stood out here - faces of stone is the strongest song on the newest record, imo, and after seeing how he related it to his mother's state it seemed clear why this track in particular just had that extra sense of emotional resonance in the song and his playing on it, especially. and on that same note regarding his relationship with his parents, his later life motivations to focus on family and lay low as far as spotlight goes really come clear when you hear him discuss his upbringing and the lack of attention he received from them when he was younger. he appears to still retain some resentment toward them about that, which i can relate with on a couple different levels depending on which parent i am thinking about. that final scene with his family around the campfire and dueting with his daughter on hey jude was an especially nice conclusion to the doc.

also, i'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but it's also kind of funny - it took me over half the video for me to realize the robotic, monotone voiceover describing the onscreen events that regularly pop up throughout the documentary was because the upload used the vision-impaired audio track and wasn't just some curiously odd production decision.

14. B_hugg07

B_hugg07 Member

so when I was younger the first time I heard Pink Floyd was on some random YouTube mix but it wasn’t even an album as far as I’m aware. It was some sort of story with narration that they played through some parts. For the life of me I can’t remeber any titles but I was hoping someone here may know what I’m referring to by my vague description.

15. AndySlash

AndySlash survey says?

how long ago was this? my first thought was the tom stoppard radio play ‘darkside’ that incorporates- yup, you guessed it - the dark side of the moon, but that was only 5-6 years ago.

16. B_hugg07

B_hugg07 Member

Darkside, yes! Googled it and found it. It wasn’t as long ago as I thought. I was thinking maybe 10 years. Thank you. I loved listening to that story.

17. AndySlash

AndySlash survey says?

sweet.

for those unaware:

some fairly known names in there, including bill nighy, rufus sewell, and iwan rheon. the cd release is pretty slick.

18. hokeydokey

Darin Star Boogie likes this.