This Woman’s Work - The Kate Bush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by JoeMac7, Aug 13, 2018.

1. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

So over the last month I’ve noticed we’ve had a lot of love for, and discussion of, Kate Bush’s music.

I thought it’d only be right that we have a thread dedicate to chatting about her very unique genius.

As with all great discussions I’m just kicking this thing off, let’s head off and chat about whatever about her work takes out fancy and have as many mad digressions and tangents as are necessary!

2. JoeMac7

I obliged :D

@Phaneronic @NathanRicaud @LeftOfSound @mcherry i think I’m right in saying you’ve all also been involved in the recent Kate talk? Here’s a club house for it!

Please invite anyone else that you know would want to get in on the act!

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  3. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

4. waitressboy

waitressboy Well-Known Member

Ok, so I'm going to start with one of my classic unpopular opinions:

"Walk straight down the middle" is the best closing track of The Sensual World.
    And The Sensual World sounds awesome in the 2010 remasters.

alspriet, Phaneronic and NathanRicaud like this.
  5. JoeMac7

Interesting take. Shamefully enough I don’t think I’ve given this album enough consideration since Directors Cut came out. I think the version on Spotify and my CD copy are the 2010 remaster so I’ll have to listen to it on Spotify on my commute and give it a couple of spins tomorrow evening and get back to you.

Phaneronic and NathanRicaud like this.
  6. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

OH YES. I was going to if you weren't. Thank you for making this.

Gonna drag this over here.

I'm surprised you managed to listen to the 2.5 hours that many times, I've only actually played it a handful of times yet even though I already know it pretty well. If I recall she didin't want it available for streaming…? You still can over here in the states for some reason, though. That's fine, I have the CDs and still have a CD reader, so I won't be making much use of the streaming anyways.

I get it not being made for vinyl, but I don't think any of the sides are excruciatingly short, so I don't mind it really and when I do listen it's usually the vinyl. Don't really mind the side flipping. And if I recall the last side was the Encore anyways, and the first two acts are cleanly a disc each. Not made for vinyl, but I'm not offended by the vinyl either. Then again, I think I have a low tolerance for such things. In fact, though the CD side-steps the dynamic compression common with digital, and though the vinyl is cut quiet, I think it sounds great there.

Not necessarily the most exciting, but one of the most interesting things about the possibility of a re-issue campaign is to see if the BTD Blu-ray shows up. I understand and in some ways agree with her reasoning, and I'm glad I was given the chance to let my mind make up it's own visuals. On the other hand, I can't say I would've made the same decision. A thing that keeps sticking with me is “how many people who would've liked thing died in the time it took to get it out?” A morbid calculation sure, but it does put in light her decision not to release it. It may've been more sage to put out the blu-ray and state a preference for listening to it first instead of watching it.

Eh, that's fair, but I still feel I should give her a try - after all, it seems plenty of people like both people's music. In a way I can't quite articulate the comparison seems natural, maybe it's because Bush sort of opened the gates for people like Amos, that there's a sense of lineage. Or maybe vague themes of female empowerment. It's at this point I should stress I have looked into Amos a little bit, just haven't properly started listening for some reason…

7. waitressboy

I have to admit that I am fortunate of working as a librarian, because that allows me to spend the eight hours I'm at the office listening to music with headphones (and that way I also avoid talking with my coworkers hehe). So that's how I could listen to BTD twice a day.

Something I always felt about A Sky is that Kate conceived the whole piece to be accompanied with some visuals. In that sense, it works better than The Ninth Wave for me. (Not talking about BTD here because of course I didn't see the concert, but the studio albums). You can almost SEE the birds, the sun rising, the people slowly waking up in "Prologue". That is one of the most accomplished aspects of A Sky, IMO.

I have to admit that "A coral room" finally clicked on me this year. It's still not my favorite song on Aerial (that's "Pi" for me), but I get it.

I don't know if you know this one:

This is how "Why should I love you?" Was supposed to sound like before Prince butchered it. It's beautiful.

8. JoeMac7

Listened to this again today. Really enjoyed it. It’s an amazing album. I thought the remaster sounded really good but it was through limited equipment Spotify on an iPhone and beats studio 3 via Bluetooth.

I don’t agree on Walk Straight Down the Middle though. I like it as a song but it’s just feels a bit of an anticlimax to me after This Woman’s Work which I think is a great atmospheric closer.

alspriet and Phaneronic like this.
  9. JoeMac7

Also listened to Hounds of Love yet again. Listened to that album so much since the discussion started earlier in the month. It’s rapidly becoming one of those few rare and special albums that I like more and more each time I listen to it!

NathanRicaud, alspriet and Phaneronic like this.
  10. NathanRicaud

NathanRicaud Well-Known Member

Guess what @JoeMac7! I listened to Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" and I absolutely love it. It's a perfect album in my opinion. It's a 10/10. I could not believe how amazing that album was.

"Hounds of Love" & "The Dreaming" are both masterpieces. I want to review "The Dreaming" for the future. So when I do write it up (might be in 1 year time, who knows. I still need more listens to digest the album), I will post it here :)

Thanks so much for pushing me to listen to her, especially "The Dreaming". That album is so erotic, rich, magical, poignant and kaleidoscopical. Her vocals on this album have an emotive spark like no other. Extremely happy Joe :)

11. waitressboy

Yeah, I know I might be one of the very few people who thinks the "Walk..." should be the closer. But there's a reason for that. "This woman's work" GIVES ME FEELINGS. It makes me so sad, so happy, so hopeful and so deppresed, everything at the same time (seriously, how amazing that track is) that it's too tough for me to finish the listening like that. I need something to come back to earth, something that connects me with reality again, something to get out of my head and my feelings. "Walk..." is great for that.
    I don't know if there are lots of women who wrote songs from a masculine perspective as good as Kate did in that song.

Phaneronic likes this.
  12. waitressboy

Have you listened to this one?

It was the b-side of "Sat in your lap" (I usually don't understand how a song like that was a single, but then I remember we're talking about Kate Bush). IIRC, it was recorded on a flooded basement because Kate couldn't capture the atmosphere she was looking for on studio. Though it's a cover, it really fits the mood of The Dreaming.

Phaneronic and JoeMac7 like this.
  13. NathanRicaud

Hey Guys, so I want to buy Hounds of Love on Discogs and will probably buy it, but I got a few questions

The pressing I am buying is a 1985 EMI pressing made in Australia/New Zealand. That's fine, but it's a 1LP pressing (seems like all the original pressings are 1LP) and Side B is 26 minutes long.......

26 minutes seems like a lot of recording to put onto one side of a vinyl. Didn't @mcherry have some special 2LP edition that was like a grey/white marble?? Isn't there a 2LP pressing of this album? (Or am I imagining it, and if it does exist, I wonder if it is 45RPM).

if anyone at least has the single original EMI pressing, does it still sound 'amazing'?

Phaneronic likes this.
  14. Phaneronic

It was I with the marbled one; it is an audiophile pressing {approved by Kate herself}, but it's not 45. On that one Side B is cut a little quiet and thus a little prone to pops and clicks, but the color of the vinyl is probably exacerbating it and otherwise it sounds great. There aren't any 2LP pressings of it, and considering how the second side flows it might not be preferable. Then again, checking it now, there's a gap of silence between “Watching You Without Me” and “The Jig of Life,” which is where the cut would go, so maybe they could get away with it if they really wanted to. I doubt it would happen, though.

Can't speak for Hounds of Love, but I have an original EMI {UK} pressing of The Dreaming and it sounds great. No idea about the Australian/New Zealand one, though.

I'm on one hand tempted to say “No! Don't do it until we get to the end of November so you're not buying it again in a few months!” and on the other hand “Do it! It's Hounds of Love on vinyl, what if you don't get another opportunity! Or what if it uses the single mix for “The Big Sky!”” Considering there's nothing set in stone about re-issues except someone somewhere claims to have the scoop, I say go for it right now…

NathanRicaud likes this.
  15. NathanRicaud

When you said "Wait until we get to the end of November", I thought for a sec you were referring to VMP making 'Hounds of Love' a ROTM hahaha. I remember there was a mention of her albums getting a reissue later on this year so I know you are referring to that!

I think I will hold on then and will just wait. I also would love to purchase 'The Dreaming', so if they both get a reissue at the same time, I will buy them both. I cannot wait to spin them 2 vinyls. Both albums are highlights of the 1980's in music.

Thank you for the info though. Original pressings of albums always tend to at least sound great for most of the time so I do have a feeling the EMI Australian/New Zealand pressing will sound excellent but I will wait for the reissues.

Your pressing of Hounds of Love did look amazing and I remember wanting it so bad when I saw your picture of it!

PS - I prefer 'The Dreaming' over 'Hounds of Love'. I've only listened to each album a few times but I'm certain 'The Dreaming' is the album I prefer. 'Mother Stands for Comfort', 'Cloudbusting' & 'Waking the Witch' are outstanding and are all seriously ahead of their time, but 'The Dreaming' as an album overall is too potent. The album sounds like a theatrical performance and Kate Bush's vocals on that album are just divine and are so expressive.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  16. Phaneronic

Oof, I hope the decision to wait works favorably for you, again nothing official about it happening yet. Still, if we all get Our Wish, yay for {a modicum of} fiscal responsibility!

Hounds of Love sold better and I think it's easy to see why - it's really the only album of hers really known in the US {so I've heard - again, no life}, and really only for “Running Up That Hill,” but among KB aficionados and even KB herself prefer The Dreaming, there's just so much experimentation going on there.

alspriet and NathanRicaud like this.
  17. NathanRicaud

So happy to hear Kate Bush herself loves 'The Dreaming' more than 'Hounds of Love'. Also happy to know that Kate Bush aficionados prefer 'The Dreaming'.

The album is very experimental. It's like she's made a bjork album before Bjork started making albums like 'Homogenic', which was 15 years before 'The Dreaming'.

Which album do you prefer out of the two @Phaneronic? What about you @mcherry, @JoeMac7, @lee newman, @LeftOfSound, @waitressboy (PS - Loved that you posted 'Lord of The Reedy River' - An incredible B-Side), @alspriet, @Melancholy_Melody, @bohnjaggs, @Mr Moore ???

Do we prefer The Dreaming or Hounds of Love ??? I definitely prefer 'The Dreaming' although there seems to be a public consensus that 'Hounds of Love' is Kate Bush's best effort. Seems like comparing the two albums is like comparing 'Off The Wall' & 'Thriller' by Michael Jackson!

18. JoeMac7

As she describes it, The Dreaming is her “She’s gone crazy album.”

I’m in the same boat @NathanRicaud i have all but 3 of her albums on CD, which I have heard a few times (my Dad introduced me to Kate Bush, he is a huge fan so would have been on In he house growing up, she was HUGE in U.K. in the 80s, a most unlikely big pop star).

I’d love to have them on vinyl but I’m holding out for a box set so I can wait until November. If it doesn’t appear I’ll start exploring OG U.K. EMI pressings of all her albums upto and including the red shoes (the newer ones are just too expensive to consider). I have faith in EMI U.K. 1980s pressings, all my OG early Morrissey solo stuff sounds great and there was a Beatles press before the CD reissues that I’ve heard people rave over (I wouldn’t swap my 2014 monos for anything though haha).

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  19. Phaneronic

EURGH Generally I try to avoid having favorites because I feel it has to be something nothing else in that category is to you, something that's truly changed your life in a fundamental way, to be worthy of such a loaded term - it quickly becomes a game of “What do you mean by that,” and in some ways the better the definition, the harder it is to answer.

So to be really unhelpful, I think if I had to trim down the record collection to a truly tragic degree and had to keep only one KB album, it'd be Hounds of Love, but I seem to find it easier to return to The Dreaming in day-to-day listening.

alspriet and NathanRicaud like this.
  20. Phaneronic

What do you mean “all three of her albums.” There's a bloody great lot more than that.

EDIT: Never mind, saw “all three,” not “all but three.” Which three are you missing?

NathanRicaud and JoeMac7 like this.