This Woman’s Work - The Kate Bush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by JoeMac7, Aug 13, 2018.

1. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

So...I just started finally listening to Kate Bush. Because of the recent boxsets coming out, I decided it's time, although it will likely cost me so much money in the near future. My initial intro to her music is actually because of Ra Ra Riot. They covered Suspended In Gaffa on their debut album, and I long-loved that track before ever realizing it was a cover. Because of that, I started with some stuff from The Dreaming. And then Hounds Of Love, considering that's often cited as her best work. But I've only been doing some streaming of those so far.

Instead of picking up the vinyl boxsets first though, I've decided to grab a few of the remastered CDs to start. Got The Kick Inside last week. I've been listening to it in my car since and really really like it. It's not as weird as I was expecting, but I think it's a good way to ease into things. I have HOL and TD coming tomorrow. I mean, I already realize I'll probably buy some (or possibly all) the vinyl sets soon. I just hope they go down in price. I added a few of the individual records on my Amazon wishlist, so I don't know if I'll be getting those for Christmas or not (probably not as they seem to be backordered). But anyway, point is: I can't believe it's taken me this long to listen to Kate Bush. And also I'm just excited to dig into everything.

2. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

For what it's worth Amazon US has the best prices for the boxes. However, they've never actually had the individual albums in stock but MusicDirect does and Bull Moose has a few if you want to go that route.

WOO! WE GOT ANOTHER ONE!

3. waitressboy

waitressboy Well-Known Member

The Kick Inside and Lionheart are definitely not weird albums. Her voice is... unusual. But the songs are pretty normal (and beautiful). In Never For Ever things start to become weird, and The Dreaming is where she went 100% wacko.
    Did anybody have the chance to compare The Red Shoes? I've read some reviews that said that it sounds like the remaster that came with Directo's Cut, and some said that it sounds different and better, mainly in "Eat the music" (but that song is crap anyway).

Phaneronic and JoeMac7 like this.
  4. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

I sounds good, they all sound really good to be honest. It was one of the ones that I didn’t have on cd so I can’t compare it to earlier versions.

That said, from revisiting it, it’s my least favourite of her albums, only side B really stands up.

Phaneronic likes this.
  5. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Listening to The Kick Inside I guess I could see people not liking her voice, but I think it’s amazing. And I know it only gets stranger on later albums. TKI reminds me of Joanna Newsom in a way, whom I love, so it was an easy gateway (even if I’ve heard songs from other albums before). I’m so anxious to listen to the two coming today.

JoeMac7 and Phaneronic like this.
  6. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I saw that the vinyl 1 set has dropped in price and I’m trying to not buy it right now...gotta buy gifts!

JoeMac7 and Phaneronic like this.
  7. girlnevergoesout

girlnevergoesout Well-Known Member

I just bought the first box set for $55 on US Amazon! I didn't know if everyone in this thread had theirs already!

tvham, AnthonyI, JoeMac7 and 2 others like this.
  8. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

Does the new version of Hounds Of Love have a different mix of The Big Sky or Hounds Of Love? I know she changed it to a single mix on some versions a while back but I would prefer the original, especially when the 4th box rounds up singles and whatnot. I know she has re-recorded parts of Aerial to remove Rolf Harris but that’s a different story

9. JoeMac7

Of big sky yes, Hounds of Love no. And yeah no arguments about removing Rolf!

Phaneronic and Melancholy_Melody like this.
  10. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting, which tipped off @Mr Moore to tag me, which in turn made me break my vinyl diet...........damn you all ;)

11. Melancholy_Melody

Melancholy_Melody Well-Known Member

9BED416E-3E1E-4C6B-9C13-59AAC36E3968.gif

alspriet, tvham, AnthonyI and 3 others like this.
  12. JoeMac7

A proper diet isn’t about anstinence it’s about adjusting behaviours to a healthier state so in those terms you didn’t break it at all ;)

AnthonyI and Phaneronic like this.
  13. Murfocakes

This revisionism annoys me, like Bowie’s last box set had everything from the period bar Too Dizzy, a serviceable enough track from Never Let Me Down. Can’t bring myself to take the plunge for a box set for completionists that is incomplete.

Note - I will eventually buy it but complain thoroughly about doing so.

Also note, as a ‘real’ version of Hounds Of Love isn’t currently on the market it would be a great Essentials AOTM VMP staffers...

14. waitressboy

waitressboy Well-Known Member

There's the Audiophile (sp?) version of Hounds Of Love, in a beautiful marbled pink vinyl. I think it's easy to find and not so expensive. I mean, I found it sealed in Argentina for 20 dollars, so I guess it shouldn't be hard to find it in the First World.

tvham and Phaneronic like this.
  15. girlnevergoesout

girlnevergoesout Well-Known Member

Should I be worried about these box sets selling out? I would hate to not have a complete collection of the boxes.

Phaneronic and AnthonyI like this.
  16. JoeMac7

It never existed in Europe and the cheapest I could find it (I was hunting before the reissue Rumours) was $100, plus all the import costs, from the US on eBay!

Phaneronic likes this.
  17. Murfocakes

Seen that audiophile version and as Joe has said it ain’t cheap for UK/Eire fans. I already have OG copies of Kate’s albums from The Kick Inside up to and including The Sensual World. My copy of Hounds Of Love is pretty good, probably a VG++ on Discogs ratings but would have jumped on a remaster if it was as originally intended. As is i’ll wait (or just purchase the later albums Red Shoes onwards. Red Shoes is one of my favourites by Kate actually) My copy of The Dreaming (my actual favourite Kate album) is near mint so I would have needed no stickying pudding around with the versions on any of the original albums to warrant needing Box Set 1. In saying this I had the boxset in my amazon basket last night and very nearly jumped

18. JoeMac7

The remasters are brilliant but honestly they were never badly mixed and most 80s U.K./European EMI presses were very good. If I had ogs I don’t know if I’d get the boxes that they were in, I’d just fill in the gaps with the reissues.

19. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

Here's what the Kate Bush collection now officially looks like minus Aerial and Before the Dawn coasters. Now all I have to do is keep an eye out for ”Breathing,” “The Dreaming,” and “The Big Sky” singles for the B-Sides disappointingly not included here. Not to mention The Red Shoes 12” Mixes…:

_MG_5989.JPG
    _MG_5991.JPG

20. tvham

tvham Well-Known Member

A month ago I owned zero Kate Bush albums...I now have Before the Dawn, Remastered in Vinyl I (ordered via Amazon accideal) II and IV.

alspriet, JoeMac7, AnthonyI and 3 others like this.