This Woman’s Work - The Kate Bush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by JoeMac7, Aug 13, 2018.

1. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

A month ago I only had most on cd. I now have I-IV and before the dawn on vinyl :oops:

2. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I still want them all on vinyl. I gave a little hint hint to my gf, but I don't know what'll happen there.

Meanwhile, I bought Aerial on CD for $3 at a used local place today. I don't know anything about this album, but had to buy it anyway.

Phaneronic likes this.
  3. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

To me it's one of her masterpieces; I'd say good impulse buy. Is the second disc nine tracks or one long one?

BenMal and AnthonyI like this.
  4. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

Gave Aerial and 50 Words a listen, still debating on III, Aerial is fantastic.........50 Words may need a couple more listens, didn't grab me as much as her other albums. So I guess the debate becomes wait for III to hit an acid deal price or just pick up Aerial ;)

Phaneronic and alspriet like this.
  5. Melancholy_Melody

Melancholy_Melody Well-Known Member

A pop-up shop has popped up in London, with the proceeds going to charity. They are opening it up online, starting tomorrow. Might be worth checking out, particularly for those in the UK.

http://katebush.com/news/remastered-pop-online

Phaneronic likes this.
  6. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

It's listed as individual tracks on the back, but I haven't listened to it just yet.

Phaneronic likes this.
  7. Phaneronic

The ones that have it all as one track list it with one really long title on the back. The one I have is like that and I understand they may use different mastering but it's primarily a curiosity thing.

8. JoeMac7

I looks like it’s completely new back jacket artwork (compared to my cd, didn’t have og vinyl) with them listed individually rather than in the continuous line.

DF0BFB4F-596B-42F5-9A6D-FCBEA396283D.jpeg

Phaneronic and AnthonyI like this.
  9. Phaneronic

That image is on the booklet section of the digipak, I believe that is consistent with the original vinyl release. The track titles are a continuous line if the CD is indexed as a single track.

JoeMac7 likes this.
  10. JoeMac7

Yeah the cd is in a triple gatefold and that artwork is on the bit of the outside that folds inside rather than the bit that’s the front or back cover. And yes the cd is programmed as one big track it has a note under the track listing on the back cover saying that. The back artwork of the cd is almost identical to the front cover.

Phaneronic likes this.
  11. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

I now have I-IV all in hand. :cool:

12. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Got sets I and II. And I'm gonna digest all of these and enjoy them while waiting to see if III and IV ever go down a bit in price.

Melancholy_Melody, alspriet and tvham like this.
  13. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I just watched this documentary:

Which covers basically her entire career. As someone new to her world, I found it really informative and interesting. Although I wish there was much more time devoted to her later career.

14. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I don't know how longtime fans feel, but "Suspended In Gaffa" is one of my favorite Kate Bush songs at the moment. i find it incredibly constructed and really beautiful. Maybe it's because I was already familiar with it (as a cover), or maybe it's because it's a little less weird than the rest of The Dreaming. But I just can't stop wanting to listen to it.

Anyway, today I spent some good time going through all of boxset I and then I played Hounds Of Love. I already was familiar with The Kick Inside, The Dreaming, and Hounds Of Love cause I got the CDs, but the rest was all new to me. It's really startling to hear her evolution as you listen in order. I can't wait to finish off boxset II. And I already am really waning set III.

alspriet and Melancholy_Melody like this.
  15. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

Kate Bush releases this statement today. Which is great....

It’s been very exciting to hear all the positive feedback around the Remastered project and the lyric book. Thank you so much for embracing both of them. It means a great deal to everyone involved.

I didn’t do any interviews for either project hoping that the work could speak for itself. I read some articles that included a number of inaccuracies and usually I don’t respond. However I do feel I need to address one story which came from a phone interview I did two years ago. I was very disappointed that the use of a quote out of context was timed with the release of the live albumand it seemed as if the focus went onto the quote rather than the work. It was deeply frustrating. At the time I discussed the idea of responding to it with close friends and we all agreed it was best to let it go. It seems the quote keeps being used and so I’d like to present my side of the story. Over the years, I have avoided making political comments in interviews. My response to the interviewer was not meant to be political but rather was in the defence of women in power. I felt he was putting a really negative slant on powerful women, referring to a witch hunt involving Hilary Clinton. In response I said that we had a woman in charge of our country, and that I felt it was a good thing to have women in power. I should have been clearer when I then said it was the best thing that had happened to us for a long time—because I greatly disliked the behaviour of the previous PM, who at that point I felt had abandoned us and everybody felt angry and let down.

Again with no response from me to the latest resurfacing of this article, it could make it seem like I am a tory supporter which I want to make clear I am not.

I won’t be commenting further on this, but feel it’s become so pervasive that I felt I needed to clarify this matter once and for all.

Happy New Year,

Kate

16. JoeMac7

Good to know, always good to have one less Tory supporter in the world...

alspriet, Murfocakes and evanbenner like this.
  17. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I got Before The Dawn (on cd) today. First of all, I had no idea this came out so recently. Secondly, reading the booklet and seeing all these photos makes me wonder how good it translates to just an audio format. I’m sure it’s still great, right? But I can’t help but pine for a full video of the whole show.

JoeMac7 likes this.
  18. waitressboy

waitressboy Well-Known Member

Well, of course it's something completely subjective, but in my opinion there's something missing in Before The Dawn. If I wanted to listen to each of those pieces (I'm talking about The Ninth Wave and A Sky Of Honey), I would've played the original albums. The live versions are not really different from the studio ones, so it's not like there's a big shock waiting for you.
    I doubt we'll ever get a DVD of the show, but I think that in order to fully appreciate it we should have the visuals and the songs.

Chucktshoes likes this.
  19. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

That’s disappointing to hear. I read so many highly positive reviews I was psyched to get this. I haven’t listened yet, but I still feel it’ll be nice to own everything. And to hear what it all sounds like live. The setpieces looked crazy

20. kafunis

kafunis Well-Known Member

Just listen to it and enjoy the music, it's stunning.

JoeMac7 likes this.