This Woman’s Work - The Kate Bush Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by JoeMac7, Aug 13, 2018.

1. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I’m not a fan of live albums as a rule but this one is very good indeed.

Critter, NathanRicaud and Phaneronic like this.
  2. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

It was filmed so although a DVD hasn’t come out that doesn’t mean something will never come out.

NathanRicaud, Phaneronic and BenMal like this.
  3. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Just got this in the mail

98EB43D1-1488-42F2-A9C9-CD58B5E36B23.jpeg

I was hesitant about buying this, but I wanted to know so much more about her/just read a lot more about her so I was drawn to it. Also the reviews are really good. Also also apparently eh physical edition is slightly expensive now, but I managed to find this online for just $7. It looks like all those English textbooks I used to have to buy in college, but I’m excited about getting into it. Eventually.

4. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

Little late to this party but I'm on the side “yeah, I'd like to see it as well but in the meantime I'm grateful I get to hear it and recommend you do the same.” If you visualize easy then it's mesmerizing even sight-unseen, and a number of songs on there are easily better than the album versions, several Aerial tracks in particular and I love Aerial. Moreover I like the inclusions in The Ninth Wave generally speaking and the whole experience is very emotionally potent.

NathanRicaud, tvham and JoeMac7 like this.
  5. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I have been playing it lately and really enjoy it. I think the live takes are different enough from the studio versions to make it a really complete listen on its own. And the whole magnitude of the setlist, spread across 3 discs is incredible. I'm still not intimately familiar with Aerial just yet, but that'll be next to really dive into. I also have 50 Words For Snow on the way. Still waiting a bit before picking up the last two vinyl sets, but I already feel like I should just grab III.

Phaneronic likes this.
  6. Chucktshoes

Chucktshoes Well-Known Member

Because you should. You should also get IV while you’re at it. There’s no sense delaying the inevitable.

alspriet, BenMal, tvham and 1 other person like this.
  7. waitressboy

waitressboy Well-Known Member

Of the four boxes, IMO III is the least interesting of the bunch because Director's Cut and 50 Words are not so fundamental and they don't really need a remaster. But Aerial is there so, yeah, go for it.
    IV is the most interesting indeed. It has a vinyl with remixes, but the other three are really, really good. "Under the ivy" is THE Kate Bush song.

8. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

I don't know, I really like Kate's work, but I don't think I'll be pulling the trigger on III & IV any time soon, but will pick up Aerial on it's own. Box I & II though, stellar, and I'm glad to have gotten an Amazon deal on both, I think they ended up being like $115 for the two ;)

9. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

Is 50 Words For Snow not all that great? I understand it's a sparser album, but I haven't seen big swings in praise or negative criticism about it. It just seems like not many people talk much about it.

By the way, though, The Red Shoes may be one of the messiest albums from her, but I can't deny I like it. I have a weird affection for albums that reach too high and kinda wind up a bit all over the place. It certainly is all over the place. And although I would remove a few tracks from it, I still like a lot of it. I guess I get the negative opinions on it? But to me, well, I prefer it to The Sensual World honestly. That one hasn't clicked much with me yet.

10. Phaneronic

I love 50 Words for Snow but it's heady and mellow, bordering on ambient music in some spots. There are people {people who, in my humble opinion, are wrong} say she hasn't made interesting music since the 1980s - that it's “mom rock” - and 50WfS is, in a lot of ways the logical conclusion of the trajectory she's been moving in. It's very much mood music best listened to on cloudy winter days but to me stands up to some of her best work. If anyone here gets the chance to listen to it in the wee hours in the dark while it's snowing, DO IT.

You're very much not alone in that opinion of The Red Shoes and I may well feel the same. How can anyone not like an album that starts with “Rubberband Girl?”

alspriet, lee newman, BenMal and 4 others like this.
  11. JoeMac7

It The Sensual World has This Woman’s Work on it and that track is so damn near perfect! I know I’m probably alone but I enjoy Directors Cut too...

alspriet, AnthonyI, BenMal and 2 others like this.
  12. Phaneronic

I should really give Director's Cut more time. Also, though I feel The Sensual World is relatively white bread for a Kate Bush album you're absolutely right about This Woman's Work, that track is OP. Also the title track and the three with The Trio Bulgarka make the album more than worth having.

13. JoeMac7

Yeah I’m a fan of the title track but I prefer the reworked version on Director’s Cut after she had finally got the permission of Joyce’s estate to use the extract about Molly Bloom.

How are you finding the boxes?

I really like the represses but i need to spend more time with IV. The 12” mixes are mixes and the covers are very good but I haven’t spent enough time with the rarities yet!

Phaneronic and AnthonyI like this.
  14. AnthonyI

I don't dislike 50 Words For Snow, I just know it won't warrant more than a few spins at best, so, for me at least, it really keeps boiling down to "Good purchases" and fighting the completionist attitude tooth and nail, lol. That being said, if some acid deal comes along and puts the box set near what Aerial is gonna cost me you won't need to twist my arm ;)

Phaneronic and mcherry like this.
  15. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

There are some standouts on TSW for sure, This Woman’s Work absolutely being one of them. I just find the whole thing to be maybe the least interesting album next to Lionheart I guess. But I haven’t had a lot of time with it just yet. I also haven’t listened to Director’s Cut yet.

JoeMac7 and Phaneronic like this.
  16. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

I’m hoping I get a chance to listen to 50WFS in the right mood/setting, cause I do feel it’ll enhance the experience.

Also although you can hear her change across albums, I don’t think she’s released anything remotely bad. It’s crazy to hear her evolution. Although she’s maybe mellowed out, she remains an artistic force of nature all on her own. I can’t explain how much I’ve loved finally digging into her catalog.

17. AnthonyI

No argument there (y)

18. Phaneronic

In short, better than I'd dreamed. They all sound so full and transparent, not to mention the wonderful quality where you can just keep turning it up and it gets better as you do. Pretty much the only bits that haven't been improved for me is the first two songs on The Dreaming {they sound “deeper”/smoother/fuller but don't quite drive so much as my OG UK} and Side 1 of Hounds of Love, and considering I'm used to a Steve Hoffman cut… No problems with any of mine after a couple of plays except for the sibilance on “Eat the Music,” which to my understanding won't be improved with a new copy. Haven't spent so much time with Box IV either but really the only thing I'd change about the whole set is to expand this box a little more. I'm very happy with my purchase, yes.

kvetcha, alspriet and JoeMac7 like this.
  19. waitressboy

waitressboy Well-Known Member

I don't find 50 Words mellow at all, that's not the word I'd use for it. It is so sparse and full of quietness, like those horror movies where the girl is walking slowly in a hallway in silence and you think the monster will appear any moment... but in 50 Words the monster never appears, and the hallway gets longer and longer.
    I get that she tried to replicate the feeling of a snowy day. Maybe it's because in my city it doesn't snow, but I can't help feeling there's something missing in this album, something that I keep looking for.
    The fact that the first three songs last 30 minutes doesn't help either.

edit: oh, and the song with Elton John. That's her second worst song ever (first place is and will ever be "Eat the music")

Phaneronic and girlnevergoesout like this.
  20. Phaneronic

I mean, I don't know that you're that far off - I've noticed recently every song contains some element of looking for something {in this nebulous sense not unlike The Dreaming}. I see that tension relieved though, very subtly, with “Among Angels,” talking about how what you're looking for is there even if you can't see it and the inversion of the album's theme with the line “they shimmer, like mirrors… in summer” and the more I think about this album the more impressive I find it from a conceptual standpoint. hmmm.jpg

Can't help you here, I like long songs and though from looking into people's reactions the Elton John song is polarizing I'm decidedly in the camp of people who like it, like the story, like the chemistry, perhaps it helped I didn't know who it was {or at least didn't think about it} before hearing the album, but…

alspriet, kvetcha and tvham like this.