U-turn Orbit Support/information Thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by lee newman, Jan 5, 2017.

1. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

Update:
    So I sent the turntable back in on Monday.
    I asked about getting it replaced or if there was a buyback program. They refunded me the shipping cost (very nice of them) but were not willing to replace the turntable or give me some monetary compensation for it. I wasn't expecting anything and I understand. They're a good company and I wasn't trying to say that their product was bad. I'm just concerned that they repaired the motor in June/July and it was clicking again. It results in some loss of faith in the product for me. Interestingly, they let me know that the skipping is related to a "known issue" with the tonearm. I'm guessing it's the bearing issue people have previously mentioned.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll repair it and it will be in good working order once it gets back to me. I'm not sure what the right move is for e with it though. Right now it feels like I have to be looking out for something everytime I play a record. It's kind-of sucking the enjoyment out of the hobby for me and I just want something that I don't have to worry about. Of course that means investing in new equipment that I wasn't planning on spending the cash on and I don't want to deal wih the hassle of selling it to someone unles it was someone from here on the forum.

2. fritzg

fritzg Well-Known Member

Mine's for sale. It is basically an Orbit Plus with a cork mat, an upgraded OM20 stylus and an extra mdf platter.

3. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

It is disheartening when you go through stuff like this, but I would wait until it gets back and really not think about it. I'm pretty confident by U-Turns rep that it will come back in functioning condition. While I understand your hesitation, I would still suggest trying not to ponder it too much and just start spinning some music and enjoying it. After a few days or so with no issues you'll be back in your happy place........better than a knee jerk purchase.

Just my opinion of course ;)

4. HiFi Guy

HiFi Guy Well-Known Member

@jaycee I know it sucks, but I agree with this. If you want a new table, great. But don't buy another right now just because it isn't a UTurn and it's affordable.

I'm hoping you get yours back in perfect condition. Spin the daylights out if it until you can comfortably afford a worthwhile jump in performance.

Don't let your frustration turn you from a wonderful hobby that you can enjoy for a lifetime.

I once had 2 turntables that developed a most unusual problem: after a few weeks from new, they spun backwards on start up. You could get it spinning the right way by hand. The first one was exchanged for another new one by the store. The second one did the same thing and then the store lost it when I put it in for repair. They gave me a third one which I sold factory sealed for what I paid. Of course, that one ran correctly for years. :rolleyes:

My point is to hang in there friend.

5. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

Just received a shipping notic that my table is on its way back!
    U-turn took care of it - they do have excellent customer service.

"During your repair, we determined that the looping you were experiencing was the result of a bad ball bearing ring within the pivot of your tonearm. We replaced the defective ball bearing with a new one, and your tonearm is now passing all trackability testing with no issues detected. Everything is now in good working order! We also replaced your motor."

Hopefully this solves the problem.

So my current set-up is:
    U-Turn (Wood Plinth, Acrylic Platter)
    Ortofon 2M Blue
    BJC LC-1
    Rogue Audio Pharoah
    BJC 10 AWG
    Elac Debut B6

Opinions on what I shoudl start saving for? @HiFi Guy?

6. AnthonyI

Just in time for BF RSD :)

Nathaniel D., lee newman and jaycee like this.
  7. HiFi Guy

Phono Stage

8. jaycee

jaycee Well-Known Member

Sutherland?

9. HiFi Guy

Depends on price range- but you haven't seen anyone yet who doesn't love theirs.

10. GStephenH

GStephenH Well-Known Member

I wish MoFi's repair cycle was as fast.....

11. Crabbers

Crabbers Well-Known Member

so when i bought my uturn off of my buddy, he just had the regular black platter, i'm thinking about the acrylic though lately...are the benefits of the acrylic that much better than the black one?

also, random spin clean question, but instead of using the cloths, what other cloths are you all using to wipe with?

12. HiFi Guy

You get much better speed stability going to the acrylic platter- actually 37% better.

jaycee, marshall, lee newman and 7 others like this.
  13. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

I use high quality microfiber towels that I use for drying my clean cars. They dry records really well.

marshall, lee newman and AnthonyI like this.
  14. Shin Hayata

Shin Hayata Well-Known Member

Never had the standard platter, but I can say that the acrylic speed-wise is Right On Target.

15. sahomerrocks

sahomerrocks Well-Known Member

I had the MDF platter and later upgraded to the acrylic and it's 100% worth it

16. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

I had to take the day off on Tuesday and I caught The Price is Right for the first time in years. One of the prizes they were giving out was a U-Turn turntable (the one with the walnut plinth). It was one of those temptation games where you could keep all the other prizes (U-Turn included) or go for the big prize and risk losing everything. I'd be one of those nerds that would have just kept all the other prizes.

jaycee, displayname, marshall and 4 others like this.
  17. Haas

Haas Active Member

Haven't been on th eboard for awhile but came back to research an issue I am having.. exactly what @jaycee went thru. Frustrating.

I will check alignment tonight because I know the weight is good. Every once in awhile it will skip like crazy on the inner grooves.

jaycee, displayname and AnthonyI like this.
  18. HiFi Guy

@jaycee had to return his for service as he had a bad arm bearing.

jaycee, displayname and AnthonyI like this.
  19. displayname

displayname Well-Known Member

It's a good thing they are so good with their customer service, because it seems like this has been popping up enough to take note of.

jaycee, HiFi Guy and AnthonyI like this.
  20. AnthonyI

If I remember correctly this was a "Possible Issue" with a specific run of TT produced, but as you mentioned, at least they're on it, no questions asked.

jaycee, HiFi Guy and displayname like this.