UPS Duties - am I getting scammed?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by dabble, Jan 25, 2018.

1. dabble

dabble Well-Known Member

So I ordered two vinyl from ODESZA's website as they are the only place to buy them. They were $45 USD + $28 USD Shipping (I know I regretted it as soon as I pressed buy). Fast forward to yesterday and they arrived by UPS with a $38 cash on delivery. I was at work so they just left a note that they were returning today. Where do they get this $38 "tax and duty" amount? Even if I include $13 percent tax on the price of the records + shipping and duty I dont get close to that much.

I guess I can only buy from Amazon.ca and VMP :(

Here is the government website estimating $15 duties and tax
    https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  2. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

I know your asking about UPS, but I have a friend north of the border who I used to regularly ship packages to using the USPS. To make life easier we would make certain purchases together to trigger free shipping and have them shipped to me. In turn I would accumulate enough to fill a Medium Priority Box and ship it to him. So keep in mind this is the same exact package, in which the weight of the package has no impact on the shipping cost, it's flat rate.

That being said, out of the dozens of identical packages I've shipped him this way, no 2 ever had the same fees, hell, some had no fees, so I'm not sure what formula they use to determine that amount. It seems like UPS uses the same formula, or the delivery person needs lunch money :rolleyes:

dabble likes this.
  3. dabble

dabble Well-Known Member

I emailed UPS asking for "information on how the aggressively high duties were calculated" but I guess I have to pay the UPS man or I will lose out on my initial $73USD.

4. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

.........isn't it great being put in that position? :mad:

dabble likes this.
  5. Juiceless

Juiceless Well-Known Member

Was there govt paper work about the duty? I will sometimes get hit by customs, but there's always a customs document that comes along with the package. If it's $38 COD from the shipper, then yeah, you're being scammed.

6. dabble

dabble Well-Known Member

I am at work I told my brother to call me when the man comes. I will keep you guys posted on the result.

Juiceless likes this.
  7. Juiceless

Juiceless Well-Known Member

The other crap thing about customs on packages is that they hit you with a 9.95 "processing fee" in addition to whatever duty they asses.

8. dabble

dabble Well-Known Member

What the hell! That is such a scam. We dont want them to assess it but they will assess it anyways and then charge an addition $10 because they assessed it. The Canadian government are a bunch of crooks.

uvwxVinyl and Juiceless like this.
  9. BattleFlag

BattleFlag Well-Known Member

I honestly don't know that I've been hit with Customs charges ordering records from the US, but I also don't believe I have ever had UPS do the shipping for the records. I do know that it happens, though, and it sucks. Sorry to hear that. :(

One way I have gotten around this in the past was going to a local record store and asking them to order a record in. I did that with Car Seat Headrest's "Teens Of Style" a couple years ago. I couldn't find it at any store in town, and the only other way to get it was from Matador's store online (for which shipping was crazy). I also did it with an Analog Africa compilation and a couple of video game soundtracks. Some stores may not, or may make you pay up front, but it beats getting dinged with an extra charge like this.

10. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

That's rough @dabble. I got stung by UPS once before on a crazy duty fee. I usually try to avoid UPS, Fedex and Purelator if I can. I find Canada Post is actually quicker and easier for pick up way up here in the north, plus duty fees seem to be less.

I know DHL shipments, which go through Canada Post, (and are used by Newbury Comics, Acoustic Sounds and several other US online record stores) get the +$10 service fee added to the duty for COD. VMP uses DHL, but somehow gets around it.

Amazon.com has the prepay option, where they add a duty fee in advance, which avoids the $10 service fee and is usually less than the duty would be.

Let us know what kind of response (if any) you get from UPS.

11. BattleFlag

DHL gets around it, I believe, because they deliver to a Canada Post outlet for final delivery. That's how I get my VMP stuff.

dabble likes this.
  12. dabble

dabble Well-Known Member

No one was home so I have to drive to the UPS place this week sometime and get it. No update yet.

13. dabble

dabble Well-Known Member

Okay friends, I have an update! I picked it up at UPS and payed the $37.80. Now I have the customs receipt and I want to know who is scamming me.

There is $0 Duty, $8.29 GST and $27.00 Brokerage fee! + $3.51 Brokerage Fee GST.

Now 2 things could have happened,
    1. The band didnt pay any shipping (I payed them $28.50 USD for shipping) and they are making me pay the whole shipping cost upon delivery. (Band is scamming)
    2. UPS Took the $28.50 deliver fee for 2 records from US to CAD and is then charging me an additional $30.51 in delivery fees upon arrival. (UPS is scamming)

14. BattleFlag

I would reach out to the band store's customer service people first, as they will tell you what their expectations are of their shipping method for sending things north. They definitely will have shipped many many packages up to Canada. If what they say doesn't jive with having any extra brokerage fees, then UPS has some 'splaining to do.

dabble likes this.