Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece (Feb 19 Essentials ROTM) (Previously Guess Thread)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Fleetwood-Matt, Jan 2, 2019.

1. ponman2003

ponman2003 Well-Known Member

I respect that. But you have no way of knowing how knee-jerk or not it was. Except to just think it’s so ignorant of an argument that very little thought or research could have gone into it.

Right or am I off-base here?

2. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

So... nothing against you and I don’t necessarily think that the whole it isn’t helpful to peace argument is wrong. However, we (being white males) don’t get to dictate that part f the argument... we haven’t been part of centuries long systematic dehumanizing structure. We don’t get to dictate how the conversation happens. We get to listen and through understanding attempt to assist in moving forward.

I’m tired of the battle... but it still needs to happen. Honestly the statement is taken out of context. I was specifically responding to @Critter about place.

Until we don’t have pussy grabbing wall building despots running our country through fear and hate and claiming that they've accomplished so much, the fight still needs to happen... but jesus why are we still fighting it?

3. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

You’re right. It struck me as knee jerk “I heard that lyric and I think it’s off” out of context rather than a thought piece.

@lee newman nails exactly why we as white men have no place to make such judgements in his post just above.

ThePakoBuelna and ponman2003 like this.
  4. ponman2003

@lee newman I do see that argument now though I think some white males like Bernie are likely very active in discussions on the path forward. Regardless (@JoeMac7), I think that discussion by itself is complex and neither side was blatantly ignorant. I should have provided more clarity on my stance from the get-go bc I think most people thought I felt threatened or was calling out reverse racism.

ThePakoBuelna and lee newman like this.
  5. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

while true it will only be successful if we (white males) listen to those that have been oppressed instead of dictating how it should happen (which usually [not always] means assimulating)

6. ponman2003

Not dictation, but I think Bernie and others are likely doing more than listening and assisting with the requested path. They’re likely suggesting when, where, and how to make gains. And I think that’s correct.

ThePakoBuelna likes this.
  7. zombie.modernist

zombie.modernist Well-Known Member

Agreed, listening and collaboration is essential. I don't trust anyone who speaks on any race / gender issue without someone immediately impacted advising them. As a white male myself, I've realized that the best thing my demographic can be is allies. When you start to believe that white guys themselves are actually the motor of social change in society, you start to fall into the whole white savior myth, which is a whole other can of worms.

8. DTKnuckles

DTKnuckles Well-Known Member

Say what you want, you'll find someone that will listen.

9. ponman2003

Thanks man.

ThePakoBuelna and lee newman like this.
  10. DTKnuckles

I'll be honest I'm having a hard time where there was room for the small conflict that arose.

Lyrics are usually the last thing that draws me to music. I was disappointed that they don't have the lyrics when I looked them up on iTunes while I was listening to this album.

ThePakoBuelna and ponman2003 like this.
  11. ponman2003

Not sure what you mean here.

Honestly, same here. But if you thought I didn’t know shit about race relations, wait until you see me try to talk music theory! But there should be discussions here on interesting/confusing instrument or melody choices imo.

12. DTKnuckles

Well you said that you wanted to talk about the lyrics and then people corrected you, but I couldn't understand why?

Maybe there was an edit?

Anyway the only reason I'm continue bringing this up is because I don't want a misspeak of mistake that someone made to stifle discussion. I liked your initial post about how once people get the record discussion tends to die off.

13. ponman2003

Oh. No, the minor conflict here was a spillover from the absolute bloodbath in the Feb Store thread. I’m pretty sure most people are very down for more discussion, but my first stab at it was a rough start to say the least. So folks here were discussing how to better approach it next time.

JoeMac7, bfly and ThePakoBuelna like this.
  14. Sanders

Sanders Well-Known Member

Waiting for mine to ship still. Really excited for my first Van Morrison album!

15. Sanders

Sanders Well-Known Member

Alright, it showed up today before I received any shipping notice! Pleasant surprise!

Package review:

I was very unsure about this vinyl color when it was announced, but I absolutely love it. Darker than I was expecting, and I'm happy about that. Very clean looking labels too. Vinyl is perfectly flat as well.

The jacket is gorgeous, and feels perfectly sturdy. It's sort of um, sparkly? But also matte. Such a cool effect.

The art print is fantastic. Very minimalist, bold colors. Looks great!

This is another great month for the VMP package. I'll be giving my thoughts on the music once I listen to it!

16. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

17. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

Package arrived today. The sparkly jacket is super cool. Can’t wait to hear it.

18. zombie.modernist

zombie.modernist Well-Known Member

Got mine today. Pearlescent paper was a really nice touch here, it still has a nice textural feel like the original copies did. Color is nice, my copy was 99% silent, well above the average for modern pressings.

The mastering is much more dynamic than the copy on streaming, with less background tape hiss. Definitely in the category of a good GZ master, but bit too on the bright and dry side like most of GZ’s stuff. As a result, the vocals don’t shine with warmth, but I’m not sure they were ever meant to. I really do think the warm style of Kevin Gray could have made the digital master sound better, and brought out some of what is missing here. That said, this dry style has strengths with the music too, strings in particular are nice clear and clean.

This is an album that gets better with each listen. I’ve been enamored with Astral Weeks for too long, but I can see people love this more.

19. DeadwaxDude

DeadwaxDude Well-Known Member

I like this review,

You're making me curious :)

20. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Or in U.K./Ireland for this equally low price

..It's Too Late To Stop Now...Volume I [VINYL]