Van Morrison - Veedon Fleece (Feb 19 Essentials ROTM) (Previously Guess Thread)

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Fleetwood-Matt, Jan 2, 2019.

1. JoeMac7

JoeMac7 Well-Known Member

Well not universally....

It's massively acclaimed by music fans and critics, its never going to be as acclaimed in an open public vote.

There are levels of esoterica. Van Morrison is a well known singles act, he's pretty much an esoteric album act. Within his catalogue, Astral Weeks isn't esoteric, its well known but Veedon Fleece clearly is.

Bowie is not esoteric at all. Everyone knows at least a few songs off everything from Hunky Dory to Young Americans and the song "Heroes" and a lot of normal people who just listen to the radio maybe even know all of a couple of those albums, particularly Ziggy. None of them know Low, or more importantly if they do the likelihood of them liking it and comprehending it being by that guy who was Ziggy is low, therefore it's an esoteric album within his catalogue.

2. Jmcg85

Jmcg85 Well-Known Member

Casual Bowie fans won't bother much with low beyond sound and vision. Of the casual bowie fans most believe ziggy stardust to be his greatest album. Low is very weird and strange to casual listeners. I believe as lauded as low is critically in 2019 (it wasn't on release) it's very much esoteric for the casual listener. Just IMO

3. phaynes1

phaynes1 New Member

Badfinger - Straight Up?

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  4. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

Low is a pretty established classic in the UK. If you are going leftfield 70s Bowie it’s Lodger. If it’s leftfield Bowie in general it’s Outside. But they all have had recent (very recent) rereleases. If it’s leftfield and out of print it’s Buddha Of Suburbia. I got the Loving The Alien boxset yesterday so i’d welcome Bowie of course, but Van is still my forerunner. St Dominic’s Preview, Wavelength or Tupelo Honey would also do VMP.

5. Murfocakes

Murfocakes Well-Known Member

I actually heard Ziggy after Station To Station, Young Americans, Low and was amazed at how strange Ziggy sounded. Easy to pass over how good it is.

Darin Star Boogie, JoeMac7 and Jmcg85 like this.
  6. McGlam

McGlam Well-Known Member

I totally agree that it’s more likely to be Lodger, which really is underappreciated. Low is iconic in many ways and was the second Bowie album I bought as a 12 year old. Yes it’s not widely known by Joe Six pack but it’s already in most rock music fans collections.

7. Jmcg85

Jmcg85 Well-Known Member

There's always gonna be unique cases of course I just kinda meant in a general consensus kinda way. I personally love Ziggy it's a 5/5 for me but it's well known amongst casual fans is all i was trying to say

Darin Star Boogie and Murfocakes like this.
  8. WMEugene

WMEugene Well-Known Member

Agree that Lodger is under appreciated, as is Station to Station and Aladdin Sane.

9. JoeMac7

Yeah I heard station to station and low first too but that was my dad’s doing, he owned pretty much all of it and indoctrinated me. Most people I know, both casual music fans and those that just hum to the radio, don’t know of low and hate it when I play it for them lol.

Jmcg85 and Murfocakes like this.
  10. mitchwagz

mitchwagz Well-Known Member

There’s no way that people who love Queen and Mavis will love Low. Especially side 2 which is essentially experimental/ambient tracks. If we leave out Ziggy, any album from Hunky Dory-Station to Station might appeal to Mavis and Queen fans.

11. McGlam

McGlam Well-Known Member

Van Morrison is soul-ful, sorta conceptual rock. I feel like it's right in the Queen/Mavis overlap.

12. mitchwagz

mitchwagz Well-Known Member

Definitely agree

13. JoeMac7

Oh yeah I don’t think Low is the ROTM, I’m just arguing that it’s esoteric lol!

A Bowie ROTM would also be the biggest get that they’ve had by a country mile, I think the excitement would have been ramped up a lot more if that was what was coming our way this month.

Van all the way.

A Bowie ROTM would be stickying pudding mega though.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  14. Jmcg85

Jmcg85 Well-Known Member

As a Queen fan then do you recommend I listen to Veedon Fleece. I always thought of Van Morrison as a bit folk?

15. Jmcg85

Jmcg85 Well-Known Member

Yeah not low tbf i meant bowie in general

mitchwagz likes this.
  16. oldschoolkirby

oldschoolkirby Well-Known Member

Van spans so many genres - can be considered 70s classic rock, like Queen, but also soul, like Mavis. Plus, both the Staple Singers and Van were in The Last Waltz. Tons of overlap.

OTOH, Bowie also spans many genres, and Young Americans is often called his "blue-eyed soul" album.

Bowie is doing his own vinyl reissue thing, though - box sets and standalone reissues - making anything from him less likely, IMO.

17. scotth

scotth Active Member

I don't know. I would have a hard time arguing that Astral Weeks isn't esoteric. I guess it always depends on what group of people your reference is. If Joe Six pack is the reference I think both are esoteric.

BTW: if you look up or saw the news including "Joe Six Pack" and Congress yesterday, you'll see my brand new Congressman making me proud. :LOL:

bfly, Jmcg85, okada and 1 other person like this.
  18. ayayrawn

ayayrawn Well-Known Member

Lordy there are already so many posts here

19. Selaws

Selaws Well-Known Member

I've been listening to Veedon Fleece for a few days now and as much as I enjoy it, I just dont think it will get enough plays. Although to be honest im not too annoyed as it makes room for a swap so I can catch up on the Classics. Silver linings.

20. jamieanderson1968

jamieanderson1968 Well-Known Member

With the Bowie estate on what seems like a very detailed 5yr reissue plan, I very much doubt it will be one his albums. But I would kill all of you for a Buddha of Suburbia reissue. This would be be a huge "get" for VMP as Bowie vinyl collectors often only have bootleg versions of it if they have it at all.

Edit. I hope its not Low because I really don't need a 4th copy