Vinyl Flat, A Review...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by blujay, May 14, 2016.

Tags:
  1. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

I ordered a Vinyl Flat last week after a string of brand new records being warped lead to a "take my money" breakdown. I ordered both the Vinyl Flat itself, which was $120 and the groovy pouch, which was $80. The pouch lets you heat up the Vinyl Flat without having to use your oven and the overall lower and more consistent temperature of the pouch I felt was safer than my old oven in the house I rent The pouch heats up to between 130 and 140 degrees without the Vinyl Flat inside of it. Total price all-in was just under $200. It finally arrived a few days ago and I've now ran two records through it and am ready to give you folks some initial feedback. Some details: this thing weights a ton for its size, almost 11 pounds. It feels a bit delicate considering it's size and weight and is awkward handle and put into and pull out of the groovy pouch.

The first record I threw at it was Disc 2 of Golden Rules - Golden Ticket, the first copy I got from VMP was warped as was the second. I figured I would try the record on the unit and if it failed, VMP would be awesome and send me a replacement record anyway so it was the perfect test subject!

Here is the record on my deck before the Vinyl Flat, look at that wobble!

Here is the record after 2.5 hours int he Vinyl Flat:

The second record I tried this with was Kevin Morby - Singing Saw, I picked up the green copy at Sweat Records in Miami and it was warped when I tried playing when I got back home to Baltimore:

Here is Kevin Morby after 3 hours in the Vinyl Flat:

This thing is awesome. It works great and caused no physical damage to the record. You'll have to experiment with what length of time works best for you, especially because the internal temperature is supposed to vary from one groovy pouch to another. I also worked up to 3 hours being my new standard time to fix all warps as the 2 hour starting point suggestion that Vinyl Flat gives was not enough time in the unit to completely flatten it out.

If you've got forum cred, I'd be happy to put one record through the Vinyl Flat for you. No promises, guarantees or warranties! But that way you can get some tangible before and after results before you make the decision to take the plunge and buy your own. For me it has been and will continue to be a worthwhile investment. It'll be able to flatten out any warped LPs I get from VMP in the future so that my good friends won't have to eat the cost of replacements any more and the same goes for being able to buy from any indie record store without having to worry about what condition the record is gonna be in! When it comes to Amazon, however, I'll make those fuckers send me 10 new records until I get nice flat one. That way I can start saving up mailers for the inevitable RSD swarm next year!

this_unfolds, Dead C, JoeC and 14 others like this.
  2. captainfog

captainfog A Prince Among Men And Moderators

Wow that's really cool.

blujay likes this.
  3. NotOneStraw

NotOneStraw Guest

Are either of the records you used it on 180g? I've read countless testimonials that heavyweight vinyl takes upwards of 8+ hours and doesn't always work.

blujay likes this.
  4. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Nope. Just weighed them both. The Golden Rules was 130g and the Kevin Morby 150g. I'll update if I come across a 180g record that needs flattening.

5. NotOneStraw

NotOneStraw Guest

Good to know, thanks!

blujay likes this.
  6. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

No worries. Glad to help. Next up is the 130g VMP exclusive of Violet City Lanterns - Murals. I never noticed the dish warp it had until I played it again the other day. Videos later today!

mcherry likes this.
  7. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

In terms of audio quality, do you hear any difference or degradation?

blujay likes this.
  8. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Nothing significant enough to deter me from throwing any record at the Vinyl Flat short term. Side A of the Morby sounds pretty much the same and side B, which had the significant warp, sounded better now that the cartridge didn't have to go on a roller coaster to track the damn thing. Golden Rules sounded "tighter" is the word I want to use, in the bass notes.

mcherry and HiFi Guy like this.
  9. thedon0922

thedon0922 Well-Known Member

That record is sooooo warped

Mine still plays but I am worried it will mess up my stylus

10. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

Dude, mine is crazy flat after 3 hours in the Vinyl Flat. I'll post before and after video tomorrow. You can mail it to me and I'll send it back to you nice and flat! I insist!

thedon0922 likes this.
  11. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

sticky pudding it, videos tonight!

Here is mine before:

And here it is after 3 hours in the Vinyl Flat:

This has been the best result out of the three records I've done in just terms of before and after.

12. thedon0922

thedon0922 Well-Known Member

I may take you up on that. Mine is way more warped than hour before video though. It's like a bowl

blujay likes this.
  13. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

I'm sure it'll at least make it playable. So it's worth a try!

thedon0922 likes this.
  14. NotOneStraw

NotOneStraw Guest

holy schnikey, now I have to buy one of these things lol

HiFi Guy and blujay like this.
  15. teee

teee Well-Known Member

Welp. I'm either moving in with you to flatten all my records that need it. Or I'm buying myself one.

Vebberim and blujay like this.
  16. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

I've been back and forth since I first found out about it and then decided to take the plunge because I got a string of warped records from both VMP and local shops. It feels pretty great not having to stress out about it anymore, but it is pricey. It's worth it to me but I can see how others might be turned off by it. I'm happy to run a few records of your through mine. This teacher is on Summer vacation in a month and I'll have all the time to get back to music, books, and whisky.

NotOneStraw likes this.
  17. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

You could do both. It would make flattening double LPs faster by a few hours!

In other news, a good friend is moving to Tampa. He told me he would meet me halfway whenever I'm in Miami. Where is halfway? Ft. Myers! Lots of Veb time in my future!

GritNGlitter and Vebberim like this.
  18. Tj.

Tj. Well-Known Member

@blujay I've got one of those super warped copies of Murals also. Any chance you could flatten it for me too?

blujay likes this.
  19. blujay

blujay Well-Known Member

For sure! PM me and I'll give you my address!

Tj. likes this.
  20. Vebberim

Vebberim Well-Known Member

Halfway between Tampa and Miami is technically in Alligator Alley. The first stop would probably be around the edge of Naples but in the next city over! I'm about three hours away from both y'all (if you're speeding right).

Also, yeh.....I need to send you a few warped records of mine. The Windowlicker I just got is warped.to.shit.