VMP Crate Digger Subscription

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by cjschaefer, Oct 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. cjschaefer

cjschaefer Administrator Staff Member

Hey everyone,

I've been tasked with vetting a VMP Crate Digger subscription, mainly because I'm it's biggest champion and also love more eclectic music (Wells Fargo, Ayalew Mesfin, etc.).

I think there are some low lift ways to get this up and running quite soon, but would love your help & input to make this something that the VMP community can be excited about.

First off - what the hell is meant by Crate Digger? It's a bit debate-able, but here's what it means to me generally and most of my record collecting friends....

Most often older (60s/70s/80s) left of center albums, non-mainstream albums that are for whatever reason more collectible/rare/valuable in nature, have a cult following, an interesting story, are sought after by collectors, producers, beat makers, etc.

What's great about the above definition is that it isn't limited to genre, country, style, era, but also seems to attract a similar tribe of music fans...people who want something different from the norm and love the hunt.

With that in mind here are some things I'm considering....

1) Limit the subscription to 2,000 for the first 12 months & potentially forever
    2) No represses - in some cases we've repressed older archive titles, but for this one we wouldn't...either you get it the first time around with us or you don't
    3) Each album is foil-stamp numbered
    4) Listening notes similar to Classics?
    5) Heavyweight 'Tip-On' jackets
    6) Vinyl color - I'm thinking color vinyl, but only solid colors, no crazy effects
    7) 180g
    8) Remastered from the original tapes (when available) or closest source
    9) No swaps

Thoughts on the above?

Also, would you want to do in 3-month chunks? I.e. announce 3 at a time and have to sign up for all 3? vs. monthly?

Let me know what you think and what you'd want to see - also, what are your dream titles?

2. indiemisanthrope

indiemisanthrope Well-Known Member

This is sure to generate some discussion.

3. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Yes to everything except no swaps. But that's just me. If the subs are limited it forces you to stay in no matter whether you like it or not, that's a tough one. But if the price stays the same as current subs then I suppose I could deal with it. But if it's full price then as an international I'd have to really think about it since 47 bucks for an album I don't want just to save my place in the sub is probably not gunna fly.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  4. cjschaefer

what are your thoughts on it?

NathanRicaud likes this.
  5. cjschaefer

what if we did in 3-month increments and you knew all 3 albums from the get go?

Murfocakes, djdavedk, Jango and 7 others like this.
  6. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

Pretty spot on definition for me, count me in already!
    Would love to go back to 3 months in advance knowledge, not sure about having to sign up/buy in 3 month chunks though, I know some peeps just can't afford to commit to that even if it yields a discount.
    I'd rather something different to the Classics book, maybe a 12x12 card with liner notes.
    Stuff I'd love to see are the scarce Blues and Jazz labels and even Private Press stuff. Has to be good of course but y'all seem to hunt down some belters.
    Looking forward to this, definitely.

7. indiemisanthrope

indiemisanthrope Well-Known Member

First thing it makes me ask is what about this sub sets it apart from the others that you wouldn’t do represses? Would it come at a higher premium for guaranteed permanent exclusivity or something?

I guess the second thought is some skepticism that it couldn’t/wouldn’t eventually happen anyway.

8. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

Would this theoretically be priced as a current side sub? Or a full priced main membership?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    NathanRicaud and ThePakoBuelna like this.
  9. Heath

Heath Well-Known Member

I like everything except the color. I'm probably in the minority, but I think I'd rather see these pressed in black. That's not a dealbreaker for me though.

I like this too.

10. DJSJ

DJSJ Well-Known Member

Everything here makes me very excited, and all of cj's ideas seem great...

With the exception of possibly having to sign up for 3 months at a time with no swaps (at a 29$ add on price point). With the longstanding issues with shipping and QC, having that much of an upfront investment scares me a bit considering I've had multiple issues with shipping and QC every month for practically all year.

Basically I'd be a lot more excited if you fixed all your other outstanding issues before spearheading a new sub.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  11. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Member

Maybe too complicated, but how about signing up for 3 but you get two rounds to select, or 6 choices of the 3 so you don't feel "stuck"? Maybe do an "all in" with a discount or something for those willing to risk it.

ThePakoBuelna likes this.
  12. chrb98

chrb98 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the biggest issue here would be the potential disparity between the way this Crate Digger track is handled VS how every other track is handled. I get that this area of music is something that VMP members are especially interested in, and that there will probably be a lot of people jumping in long-term for it. However, in my personal opinion, I don't think that should cause such a big differentiation in the "rules" of the Crate Digger track in comparison to Essentials, R&HH, and Classics. If every other track has swaps, is announced on a month-to-month basis, has one-month sign-up options, etc. then having Crate Digger on another set of rules would just be confusing to new customers, and potentially daunting for older customers who may want to just dip in and out like they can with Classics and R&HH

EDIT: There's going to be a LOT of people who agree with the point of "No represses ever" and "Announcing three at a time". But judging from what I've seen a lot of people say here over the past months/year, I think people feel that way about all the side-subs in general, and are moreso saying "I wish all side-subs were handled this way" rather than "I only want three-month announcements and no-represses for this specific side-sub"

13. ThePakoBuelna

ThePakoBuelna Well-Known Member

Would love for all the albums to be colored vinyl(go crazy with this), 180 or 200g. Wouldn't like another booklet like classics but maybe some information on why this particular album was chosen? Also, stickers! I love stickers and maybe a design for stickers especially made for the package(like the prints).

Also like @Mather said, would it be same price as the subs right now? Swaps would be cool too, in case something is not for your liking.

The limited quantity and no represses also sounds nice.

NathanRicaud, wallystripes and cul8er like this.
  14. cjschaefer

Yes, have thought about making it only available at a $29/mo price point vs. $23 so we can keep quality high and also as a premium for keeping the pressing limited permanently

15. cjschaefer

full priced - would want to make sure we have the flexibility to pursue super high quality packages

16. Goodjc91

Goodjc91 Well-Known Member

The subscription number seems small but I've noticed recently the pressing numbers have been listed for r/hh, and classics newer releases, and they're pretty small. I wonder how quickly that fills up/if it stays relatively filled

NathanRicaud likes this.
  17. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

1) Limit the subscription to 2,000 for the first 12 months & potentially forever >>> Why would you want to limit the subscription? I think it's a good thing to start with only 2, 000 and see how it goes. But if more people want to join, they should be able to do so.
    2) No represses - in some cases we've repressed older archive titles, but for this one we wouldn't...either you get it the first time around with us or you don't >>> Maybe you could repress but a more standard version (no tip-on jacket, unnumbered, non 180g)
    3) Each album is foil-stamp numbered >>> Yes
    4) Listening notes similar to Classics? >>> Yes but not on the actual small size book, I would prefere a booklet sized like the cover
    5) Heavyweight 'Tip-On' jackets >>> Yes
    6) Vinyl color - I'm thinking color vinyl, but only solid colors, no crazy effects >>> Black only.
    7) 180g >>> Yes
    8) Remastered from the original tapes (when available) or closest source >>> Yes, must be as close as possible to the original
    9) No swaps >>> Swaps should be open to other tracks

I prefer the monthly subscription but wouldn't mind a 3 months as long as they are all announced before the subscription.

My dream title would be Jose Cid - 10 000 Anos Depois Entre Vénus e Marte

18. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

I understand that price for sure, but if there are no swaps allowed as an international that's $47 per album, for a record I don't necessarily want, even in knowing them 3 months in advance it won't really help that since with limited membership you could have issues jumping in and out, and paying up front for 3 wouldn't really help. I get it though, it's for the hardcores... I totally get that, but as an international, at that price, with no swaps, I'd have to jump in and out. No way I could just sign up and be good to go. But again, that's just me. I'd be fine with all of this as long as the membership isn't limited, then I have a choice. But again, I get that for pressing numbers and exclusivity it's better to have a set number.

19. djxfactor511

djxfactor511 Well-Known Member

I very much like all of the ideas except for 3 month chunks. Maybe have the option of signing up for 3 months at a time with a small discount but leave open the option of subscribing month to month for those of us that are pickier or cannot do that kind of investment.

On the booklet, I would LOVE more inserts like Wells Fargo over the booklet from Classics. Deep dive insights on the history/background/significance of the artist and release for the win.

20. M Penny

M Penny Well-Known Member

I'm in favor of a limited subscription with no represses, no swaps. I'm with @Heath and think black vinyl would be awesome.

Again, no represses or it's no different than any other track.

NathanRicaud, HiFi Guy and Heath like this.