VMP Crate Digger Subscription

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by cjschaefer, Oct 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. AnthonyI

AnthonyI Well-Known Member

2. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

We've definitely been told at some point that the foil numbering stuff adds a couple of bucks per unit. I can't remember if that was the exact amount but I do remember thinking that it sounded a lot for what it is, all my opinion of course, I know people value these things differently. I've no affinity to 180g either which I assume costs more.

3. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

All I know is, some of my best sounding records, are ORG pressed jazz that I picked up from InSound for about 9 bucks each. And they are spectacular, and flat. Guess where they were all pressed? Pallas in Germany. I don't need numbers, or fancy packaging if they can just get us flat records that are pressed properly. DO NOT USE GZ THEY ARE AWFUL.

4. NathanRicaud

NathanRicaud Well-Known Member

hahaha I know!

I'm so passionate about the Crate-Diggers ROTM sub that I want most of my thoughts and feelings to be exposed. No backing from me on this topic because this is important business for me. Crate-Diggers will be my favourite sub and I want to make sure it runs ASAP and monthly, not quarterly.

That first post I read from @cjschaefer literally had me dancing to around 5 songs like crazy, and now I'm seeing you and others wanting VMP to put this sub on delay to 'fix' their warehouse issues. Even worse, I got some people on here wanting this sub to run only every 3 months...

That's why I am full on right now! I need to protect Crate-Diggers from going into a quarterly ROTM. This Crate-Diggers sub is going to effect my happiness for the better and I want maximum happiness from this. I want to take advantage and get the most out of this sub!

5. NathanRicaud

What is GZ? I see people mentioning VMP not to use that. Is that a poor piece of equipment or a poor pressing plant? What does it stand for? I just think of Gz up hoes down when i see people typing 'GZ' haha

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  6. DTKnuckles

DTKnuckles Well-Known Member

When you are older and a little higher up where you work sickies are not as pleasant to take. It puts me behind at work and are reserved for when my kid is sick not for me.

Quality over quantity is not just about sound. It is about the whole experience. I want them to pick very special records. High quality performance, distinctive artists, rare records, and thorough liner notes. Finding a record every month for this type of artist should be very tough to find.

Having a record every month like this will devalue the experience also. For example with the classics sub. I’m not too excited for the lead guess, not because it’s not a good album, but mostly because I’ve gotten a lot of Memphis Soul from this sub already. When you have a monthly sub you are more likely to pick albums that have covered the same ground and that lowers my excitement regarding the sub.

As with the friends stuff once again when you get older it’s quality over quantity. I know this is a weird thing to say as a psychologist, but most people are overrated. We only have so much bandwidth to have good relationships and be a high quality person towards a certain amount of people.

alspriet, Aelias, TCell and 11 others like this.
  7. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

http://www.gzvinyl.com/ is a pressing plant located in Czech Republic.

8. Mr Moore

Mr Moore Well-Known Member

I hear ya, but I'm always a little cautious with that comparison because one of the Org/Black Lion ones from the store, me and @lee newman had numerous copies between us that had plenty of issues (I think we both gave up trying in the end), and they were pressed at Pallas (not sure if Germany though). I reckon ratio wise, that's about as many bad Pallas as I've had GZ.

9. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I have a much better track record with Pallas. But yeah multiple on the same record was not fun. I’d put Pallas with QRI and TMR as my favorites.

10. Mather

Mather Well-Known Member

I don't think I've had a single bad Pallas, and I've honestly, at this point, probably had upwards of 100 bad GZ presses, in less than a year. So I'm cool with them, and RTI.

Sorry wait, not RTI, QRP. RTI is okay... But QRP are excellent.

11. NathanRicaud

Oh wow, so interesting that you're a psychologist! *I wonder if DTKnuckles thinks I'm overrated* haha

That is very true actually. It's not about the amount of friends you have, it is about the strength of the friendship. I definitely would want one 10/10 friend compared to seven 8/10 friends!

That's so sweet of you to mention taking your sickies for when your children are sick and not you. Made me want to tear up a little inside because I took a sickie off work tonight and last night just to hang out with friends and do nothing. Whereas for you, you do it for your children and would probably work even if you were sick.

Back to subject though, I still disagree with you on some points. If they get great recommendations from experts in the field, such as @Mr Moore & @Skalap , VMP will be able to choose 'distinctive, rare records' at a monthly rate. It's all about the knowledge! That's why this sub is going to have that community feel. We are all in this together to make sure each month is a truly unique record :)

For you, having the record each month might devalue your experience but you must be convinced that all your expectations are being met. Instead of thinking to yourself "Quarterly Crate-Diggers exclusives are likely to make me more excited and appreciate of the record compared to a monthly Crate Diggers exclusive due to VMP taking more time to curate a pick", think to yourself, "How can VMP make me very excited each month about a Crate-Diggers pick".

Think positively i reckon! They won't pick in the same area each month with Crate-Diggers as there are so many different types of music from so many different countries. Then there's different era's to choose from on top. If you think open minded, you'll see that there are so many options for something very unique and different each month in terms of a Crate-Diggers pick. Some food for thought

EDIT: That was so rude for me to say that last sentence to you lol (I was just really excited when typing haha)

12. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

RTI and Pallas Germany <3 - Gz not <3

13. Kris

Kris Well-Known Member

Maybe because I’m old, I dislike the stamp that says “Vinyl Me Please”. It reminds me of BMG and Columbia House and their poor quality versions of albums. Numbering is also just fluff. They’re random and have no indication of where in the pressing it is. Also, they seem to be messed up or forgotten often. Seems better to me to just leave them off. An original wouldn’t have them.

Heath, GritNGlitter, AnthonyI and 5 others like this.
  14. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Just because we recommend a record doesn't mean VMP will want or be able to release that record. It's a business after all and they won't release a record just because Mr Moore or me or anybody else will suggest it. There might be some legal issue too, some of the labels may have disappeared for example so who owns the rights? It's not that easy to reissue old records and I don't see VMP acting as DOL or other grey markets labels.

bfly, AnthonyI, Nathaniel D. and 3 others like this.
  15. LeftOfSound

LeftOfSound Well-Known Member

I feel all of this SO HARD.

With a quarterly subscription, there will be *real* anticipation built into the announcement and record, and I have confidence in VMP's curation that it would consistently be 3000% fire, whereas with a monthly subscription there's bound to be some misses and being beholden to a tighter timeline means less time able to be spent on doing the work of putting together the most perfect album/package. Most 'extras' I'm pretty indifferent about, but in a sub like this well-researched high quality liner notes are absolutely essential as a value-add in my opinion, and that level of research takes time. I want this sub to be the OCD-laden perfectionist sub where every detail from sound to cover to liner notes are meticulous and glorious!

Also, people are absolutely overrated. That's like my whole motto in life!

EDITed to add: I had mentioned this previously, but on the business side of things, I would absolutely be willing to pay more per record (probably not 3x more, but still quite a bit more) if it was quarterly and meant a super high quality product. As a monthly sub I probably would not pay more than what the other subs go for which would seriously limit the amount of resources able to be put into each record I imagine.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 7:23 AM
    Heath, JoeMac7, DTKnuckles and 3 others like this.
  16. NathanRicaud

mmmm that is very true. I think I'm way too naive and over-positive about what I'm saying and I'm starting to realise it now...:cry:

AnthonyI and lee newman like this.
  17. Jango

Jango Well-Known Member

Just noticed this thread this morning. I haven’t read through the entire thing to see how the conversation has progressed but I wanted to weigh in on the basic questions.

1) Try 12 months and see how it goes. Just be sure to let people know if the number is increased.
    2) How about a no-frills repress? No tip-on, no color, no liner notes, etc. Music wants to be heard.
    3) Yes
    4) Yes, but unique from Classics in some way.
    5) Yes
    6) Black only for me, or maybe the same color for all the CD releases.
    7) Yes
    8) No doubt!
    9) I can see ‘no swaps’ a couple different ways. With the premium pricing, it’s a nice option to have, and it’s pretty unique to VMP. A no swap rule could limit demand so that the people who really want this sub can get in, but people probably wouldn’t keep this sub if they found themselves swapping all the time. I would definitely want to know what the releases will be a few months in advance, like we used to with Classics.

AnthonyI, djxfactor511 and lee newman like this.
  18. NathanRicaud

Oh No, I can't help but respond and try to convince you even though I look like a helpless politician that's clueless and thinks he knows everything.

But....trust me. Crate diggers will be *3 x fire emojis* even if it were to run monthly. Classics is absolute fire! Every pick has been very good so far! I can imagine this sub being the same, especially as there is more diversity in this sub as we can get music from so many different countries and music from the 80's too!

I have a very good feeling about cjschaefer. I think he will do some very good picks and will engage constantly with us about the picks and choices and recommendations. This is going to 100% work perfectly as a monthly sub, I know it!

lee newman likes this.
  19. Skalap

Skalap Well-Known Member

Absolutely! As an Analog Africa fan, I am frankly amazed by how they can release two or three records a year. The liner notes they add to each release are stunning! It is so full of details! It sometimes takes year for the team to collect all the information. Of course, if VMP release one record every month or even every three month, I won't expect them to dig that much in the release story but it will take time anyway.

20. Jango

Jango Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like the quarterly idea for these reasons as well. Financially, I would be more likely to add this sub if it were quarterly. There are too many great records I’d like to buy for me to allow VMP to decide 3-4 of my purchases each month.