VMP Curated / DHL Customs Charges?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by TCell, Jan 28, 2019.

1. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

Hey Canadians!

How many of you have been hit with DHL Customs charges on recent purchases from the Curated VMP Store? I got a single album (Replacements - Let it Be = $15) in December with no customs charge. I know in theory it's $20, but I'm curious what the threshold is.

Thanks!

2. radiojazzz

radiojazzz Well-Known Member

I got a $35 record (UNKLE) and avoided any charges but people are saying that it’s basically a crapshoot

Hollywood and TCell like this.
  3. radiojazzz

I’m also very curious - and slightly mad - about this. not VMP but it’s a single record delivered by DHL. can anyone tell me what exactly they’re charging $10 for?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  4. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

That shit drives me bonkers, when the fee is costs more than the tax they are collecting.

Hollywood likes this.
  5. BjorgenFjorgen

BjorgenFjorgen Well-Known Member

That's such horseshit.

Hollywood likes this.
  6. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

My latest DHL Express charges are set at $19.50 which includes an $11.00 processing fee (brokerage fee) and this is for two records (The Cure - Disintegration and FJM - I Love You, Honeybear) which I purchased for $51.76 CAD. I will pay the fees in advance online to expedite the delivery service but now that I know you can avoid paying those extra charges by self-clearing the package and paying duties and/or taxes directly to CBSA, I will be seriously looking into this option next time.

UPDATE: I've incurred the same sticky pudding charge for 'Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix ($24 CAD)! Guess what? I'm refusing delivery.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  7. KingBee

KingBee New Member

Anyone have any luck with pre-clearing on your own? How/where is the best place to start?
    Thanks
    Jason

8. TCell

TCell Well-Known Member

So, I ordered Bill Withers - Still Bill from the Vinyltine's Sale on January 29th.
    Shipped out via DHL Express from Kentucky on January 29th.
    I received a door notice on Feb 12th and picked it up today (13th).

Record was $26USD (~$34 CAD). No Duty, so it seems one record is the threshold.

Box was beat to sticky pudding, but the record appears fine.

Unless it's something I can't find elsewhere online, or it's way cheaper, I think I'll be abstaining from the Curated VMP store going forward. Which is too bad, I spent a significant amount with VMP, but I don't like the idea of playing Duty roulette and the local DHL outlet is super inconvenient and parcels seem in limbo for a week once they get to Whitehorse.

Hollywood likes this.
  9. radiojazzz

couldn't resist that Call Me by Your Name OST for $21 and once again avoided any charges so it does look like we might be fine ordering one record at a time. once again, the delivery was super fast: got my notice at 8am, got my record around 3pm

BattleFlag and Hollywood like this.
  10. BattleFlag

BattleFlag Well-Known Member

I know I mentioned this somewhere before, but I did get Kero Kero Bonito's "Bonito Generation" from the new warehouse. Super fast shipping, no duty.

I only have one other curated order with VMP right now: Mondo's Big Lebowski. Still hasn't shipped yet, after ordering it a month ago. (Seems lots of others are still waiting too) Will keep posted, but hopefully the "one at a time" order won't get dinged.

Hollywood likes this.
  11. Hollywood

Hollywood Well-Known Member

I'm happy to report I did not incur any charges on my Ghost - Prequelle album which I purchased on Wednesday for $40. So I concur with @radiojazzz and @BattleFlag, fast delivery and as long as your shipment only includes one item, you should be good to clear Customs.

radiojazzz and BattleFlag like this.