VMP Rising

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by a-b, Dec 15, 2016.

1. NathanRicaud

NathanRicaud Well-Known Member

Personally, I don’t think there are any tracks on her two EP’s/CDW that are better than on the song she was featured on IV (In You’re Eyes). But In Your Eyes is an amazing track, sounds like a lost 70’s summer Italian jazz-funk compilation song. It’s truly a timeless track.

However, like Nathaniel D. said, her EP’s are extremely good! She sings more quietly on most of the tracks on the EP’s and there are nice, soft grooves on a lot of the songs I really dig (this is on her 2016 EP). The CDE EP sounds like music you’d dim the lights low on. There’s a hint of galactic-ness, some nice finger snaps and some buttery quiet-storm sounding grooves.

Her other EP (Stone Woman) is more bold in sound with her rich voice being more at the forefront of electronic beats (Stone Woman, Nothing New) while other tracks sound a bit dark, lonely yet has a dreamy ghost, suttle creaminess to it. It’s really unique. Her voice on some of the 90’s sounding R&B definitely goes through your body and really hits the spot and it sounds very rich and exquisite, like magnum lipstick pearls kind of exquisite.

I definitely recommend the EP and I’d personally place it in my top 5 VMP Risings as well!

The gatefold is also nice and the red vinyl variant also suits the sound of the EP’s as well :)

2. NathanRicaud

Top 5 VMP risings

1. Toulouse - Extended Plea
    2. MorMor - Heaven’s Only Wishful
    3. Moses Sumney - Lamentations
    4. Charlotte Day Wilson - CDW/Stone Woman
    5. Michael Seyer - Bad Bonez

These 5 VMP releases make me want to have a picturesque, cute, old-fashioned apartment in Paris, and inside my apartment, the floorboards are rustic, the ceilings are high and it’s just an overall really good looking contemporary apartment but preserved in an old building. And my turntable would be near the fireplace, where I can listen to these VMP risings when it’s winter in Paris, having a flacky, buttery crossaint with a nice rich, dark hot chocolate. These VMP risings make me want to have a really nice wardrobe, where all my clothes are from independent stores, to live in a really trendy hip, green neighbourhood and to work for a cool company like Vice, Pitchfork or Netflix :coffee:

I love VMP Rising! I love King Daddy’s young love for VMP Rising too! :rolleyes::)

3. NewsFedora

NewsFedora Well-Known Member

Whelp, if 2 out of 2 Nathans say it’s great, I think I’ll go ahead and pick up a copy, then. Thanks.

4. Bluecloud777

Bluecloud777 Well-Known Member

This made me get Toulouse finally this morning :)

5. NathanRicaud

You are absolutely going to love this record Bluecloud777! You really enjoyed Kali Uchis’ Isolation and Durand Jones & The Indications’ self-titled. Toulouse’s Extended Plea is a mix between these two records in a sense if we consider the beatscapes of both albums, the storytelling in Kali Uchis, the vocals of Durand Jones, the classical arrangements of the music on Durand Jones yet the detailed, rich, dreamy sounds found on Kali Uchis.

The musical arrangements of Extended Plea are exquisite, ethereal and ‘classical’. There are a lot of strings in the tracks, a lot of horns, some that jab, some that are muted and others that are dramatic. There’s a lot of piano and just general orchestrated sounds. Toulouse’s voice is uplifting yet haunting and his lyrical themes remind me of the lyrical themes explored in Isolation - the lyrics are very personal, about finding hope in a dark world.

Instrumentally though this album is just gorgeous though. The first track has some harps, some violin stabbing, fat subdued synthesiser, a muted-like flute, soft tambourine taps. There’s a lot going on, but the arrangements all work and is complimented with Toulouse’s voice is reminiscent of a ‘blues’ artist. It’s like his voice is a voice from the 1950’s/1960’s where instrumentally, the music from the album is from the 2020’s.

Extended Plea is dramatic, vulnerable, dark, yet enlightening and is unsettling as well. It’s a damn masterpiece and I cannot wait for Toulouse to release his next album!

Like I said, you will really like this record! It’s such a rich record - vocally, instrumentally & personally! :)

6. Bluecloud777

That sounds wonderful indeed. Thank you a lot for your great description. I can't wait to listen to it on vinyl next month. :) it's really great that elements of Durand Jones first album and Kali Uchis can be found in this as both their albums are amazing.

7. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

100% blind listen. Not at all what I was expecting. (I think the name gave me much more of an indie rock vibe). That being said, I think this is outstanding. Also, it sounds amazing. As usual, @a-b , you the best.

6D76229B-A63D-4A08-9539-C2BC0F56F0B5.jpeg

Also didn’t realize this was a ten inch. Also also, the best Rising package to date.

8. Satchmo2go

Satchmo2go Well-Known Member

I went in blind too.

9. lee newman

10. Crabbers

Crabbers Well-Known Member

But I feel like you gave drank the VMP Rising kool-aid...I want to know do you REALLY enjoy all risings or are you just committed at point;)

11. lee newman

Trapo and TYE are not faves.

12. Bluecloud777

Great reading, thanks for sharing here.

Yesterday I've listened again to the Suzi Wu EP and the songs are so strong. I think her debut album is coming in March and it would be great if VMP would be doing some exclusive for this.

13. Crabbers

Crabbers Well-Known Member

Team Rising still loves you;)

14. NewsFedora

NewsFedora Well-Known Member

I’m getting like eight VMP records tomorrow and I think the one I’m looking forward to the most is Charlotte Day Wilson. :cool:

15. lee newman

That’s a fantastic record!

16. DSchlitz

DSchlitz Well-Known Member

Due to all of this CDW talk I have it on all morning. I absolutely love it! I think @NathanRicaud nailed it in his description

17. WMEugene

WMEugene Well-Known Member

So was there no new VMP rising announced?

Darin Star Boogie likes this.
  18. dbarila

dbarila Well-Known Member

I know this came out in December but I hadn't heard it until yesterday.... this new MorMor track is fire!

Made me go back and re-listen to the Rising. Still love it!

19. Bluecloud777

Now all the praise for Charlotte Day Wilson and her getting low in stock made me finally buy this record

20. Ave

Ave Well-Known Member

O yea. My wife loves it and we are going seem him in Chicago in April.