VPI cleaner question...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Spammer, May 27, 2018.

1. Spammer

Spammer Well-Known Member

I just picked up a VPI record cleaner, I noticed one thing unusual. The screw that holds the record in place is a little bit loose. Has anyone had this problem? I purchased this from someone on craigslist.

2. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

You might stick this over in the hardware section (or have @mcherry move it). A bunch of folks in there have vpi cleaners.

displayname likes this.
  3. mcherry

mcherry Spam Slayer ☠️ & Moderator Extraordinaire

@Spammer I’ve never had this issue though I’ve only had mine for <6 months, purchased new.

displayname likes this.
  4. Spammer

Thanks for moving. Haven’t messed with it too much. I think the center screw is stripped, so I’ll need to glue the screw into place.

displayname likes this.
  5. POGunter

POGunter Well-Known Member

Had mine for yrs. Center screw is stationary so the record locks down with screw clamp. With luck and the right adhesive should be an easy fix. Good luck.

6. Spammer

I think the previous owner tightened the screw nut too tight, causing it to thread. It's just particle board, which is surprising. Anyway, I think I'll be able to use some kind of adhesive to get it permanently affixed.

Got an ok price at $150. Always wanted one of these, but didn't want to pay $600 or so.

displayname likes this.
  7. POGunter

POGunter Well-Known Member

Well I would like to think VPI would have a factory authorized and maybe user fixable way to repair this as it must have happened before. A couple stock parts that you install yourself maybe. So for sure talk to them first before you go any further. The center screw must be repairable. Better to fix it right per factory specs. Might cost less than you think. You might get lucky. They are a solid company.

Now remember I know NOTHING about how your VPI is put together. I would consider this an absolute last resort after talking to VPI. You read further at your own risk. I am NOT recommending this as a fix for your exact problem. That is what VPI is for as they know how to fix their products correctly in a factory authorized way. I am just pointing you in the direction of a really good glue should you have need of one in the future. Reread above paragraph. :)

But as for glue....Not cheap but when it comes to glue for many uses there is West Systems Epoxy and then there is everybody else. :) Works on just about anything BUT plastics. They make a product called G-flex ($25 or so). Works good for dissimilar materials (particle board/ss screw). Comes in a thick or thin version. Super strong.

If a factory authorized fix is not an option (first choice always) and if you can get the glue exactly where it needs to be (AND NOT where you do not want it) then my guess is G-flex MAY be a high-end quality glue option. Done right it would likely be stronger than the original bond. It would be limited by the strength of the weakest link which in this case would easily be the particle board if the screw is only anchored to that.

Good luck.