What makes something a Member Exclusive?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Bad Andy, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

I was looking through the VMP store, and found the Rise Against, "The Ghost Note Symphonies, Vol 1" record. It is listed as a "Member Exclusive".

I am wondering what makes it exclusive to VMP? I have ordered it, but I could have ordered either the regular version for the same price direct from the band, or the LE color vinyl direct from the band for a few dollars more.

Are there any differences between the regular release and the VMP release? Or did they only get a few of them in, so they only offer it to members to buy first?

Thanks,

-Andy

2. LeftOfSound

LeftOfSound Well-Known Member

That particular album is the same that you can buy elsewhere. It can be a little confusing at first because there's both "Member Exclusive" as well as "VMP Exclusive". Member exclusives are generally more widely available presses made available for members to buy from the VMP store before they open it up to the public (because as you suggest, they have limited stock so members get first dibs). VMP Exclusives are the records available only through VMP (and sometimes direct from artist) which usually are a color variant not available elsewhere, unique packaging, and/or a different pressing.

mcherry and Melancholy_Melody like this.
  3. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

piggybacking on what @LeftOfSound said, the member exclusive tag is just to let members have first dibs at certain releases, store exclusive (the drop down) are unique to VMP, most of the time it is just a color variant (particularly if it is a new album or an album getting a broad reissue) but some of them are exclusive just to VMP like the recent reggae ones

LeftOfSound and lee newman like this.
  4. Bad Andy

Bad Andy Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.

5. ericj32

ericj32 Well-Known Member

I just had this same question. I was looking at Electric Light Orchestra's "Time" and it looks like there are 721 vinyl copies for sale on discogs, many going for less than the current "member exclusive" price. The "product description" in the VMP Shop just describes the album itself, not the package/pressing, so I'm trying to figure out what I'd be missing out on if I were to just pick up a copy from another seller for $10 cheaper.

6. roger

roger Well-Known Member

VMP sells standard pressing of albums as "member exclusives," which are different than an exclusive pressing. essentially they're selling you a standard version of the album but with free shipping.

ericj32 likes this.
  7. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

If it is not listed under the VMP Exclusives tab, it is just a release that can be bought or could have been bought elsewhere, VMP has said they are "working" on have a lot more details on each items page. Time appears to be a new reissue

ericj32 likes this.
  8. TDell

TDell New Member

Not sure if this is the right place, but i was in a record store in DC yesterday full of VMP inventory. Recent exclusives that are still in the store and multiple copies of Essential records. What's the point of being a member to get exclusive pressings if they are stocking up record stores?

9. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

The store could be a member with a few accounts

edit: also should say there is someone that lives in my area that frequently trades in unopened VMP releases to my local

lee newman likes this.
  10. TDell

TDell New Member

I considered that, but they had a lot of copies, i mean hundreds, all in their new record section and they aren't asking for more money than store prices, in a few cases a little less.

ThePakoBuelna likes this.
  11. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

@vinylmeplease do you distribute items or how does something like this happen
    @TDell what store in case VMP needs to see what is going on

12. TDell

TDell New Member

Songbyrd Record Cafe and Music House just north of Dupont Circle in Wash DC.

13. Enoch

Enoch Well-Known Member

Was checking out their facebook page and noticed they host the DC Spins, VMP may provide them with some stuff to promote during the event