What's The Most Valuable Record In Your Collection?

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Bradley, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Bradley

Bradley Well-Known Member

Everyone has at least one record in their collection that they either spent WAY too much money on or they bought for nothing only for it to become incredibly valuable, tell us/show us yours! Include pictures please!

sycophancy likes this.
  2. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

image.jpg
    image.jpg

Eluvium - Life Through Bombardment Vol 1

7 standard black LPs housed in a library type bound book where each record slides into its own sleeve page.

I bought this on discogs for like $290 including shipping. It was right around the time the second volume was announced. I'm glad I grabbed this when I did because it was brand new from the seller and now that Volume 2 is officially out, it's going for like $350 minimum and the most recent sale was $400. This retailed for like $150.

I also have The Disintegration Loops 9xLP box set that I snagged brand spanking new from my local record store for $200. It retailed for $229. I think it goes for upwards of $300-500 on discogs.

image.jpg

AnthonyI, Tanqueray, Igbid and 8 others like this.
  3. chris_d_cole

chris_d_cole Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    mine is that super unassuming white sleeve, hand labeled record in the middle.

that's Paul McCartney's secret release from RSD last year. Found it at End of an Ear in Austin, TX hidden among his other used and new records. they were selling it for $9. the highest it's sold for on Discogs is $1300.

Ever since I bought it on RSD last year, I still haven't been able to find difinitive details on it. how limited it is. whether or not McCartney actually did the hand labeling. there was never a press release or anything saying exactly what it is. The only thing confirming it is legit is the letter he sent to shops with the record and the fact that his Twitter account retweeted pictures of people who found them during RSD.

Needless to say, it is on the very short list of things to grab in case of a fire.

Discogs entry: https://www.discogs.com/PM-Sweet-Thrash/release/6914629

4. Bradley

I HEARD ABOUT THIS! They were sent out to a bunch of RSD participating stores at random and they were told to just hide them around the store. It's INCREDIBLY limited, but the numbers weren't released. Congratulations on that incredible find.

HugeLogo, Dayne R Teigeler and Corycm like this.
  5. chris_d_cole

I was incredibly lucky. I was waiting in line for hours and I had seen an article about it about 30 minutes before the store opened. I slowly made my way through all of the RSD exclusives, picking what I wanted, and then made my way over to the main stock to check just in case this store happened to be one of the ones that had gotten it. And they were.

When I found it and looked up, every single employee was looking at me and smiling. I asked one of them if it was real and he just nodded and kept smiling. It was a pretty awesome experience. Probably my favorite in my 7 or 8 years of record collecting.

AnthonyI, gwerbnm, Phaneronic and 6 others like this.
  6. Bradley

One of my most valuable records is my Memoirs of an Imperfect Angel box set. I snatched this off of Amazon when I first started collecting vinyl two years ago for a measly $20 because there was a small dent on the top corner. It now sells for over $120 in even worse condition.

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 9.43.22 PM.png

My absolute most valuable record is my press of Miley Cyrus' Bangerz on 2 LP picture disc vinyl. I cried myself to sleep when I missed out on this upon its initial release, but my boyfriend surprised me and bought me a copy for $70 for Christmas that year. It's also one of my favorite records in my collection. At one point it sold for more than $250.

Screen Shot 2016-04-13 at 9.44.05 PM.png

7. thedon0922

thedon0922 Well-Known Member

While likely not my most valuable record, the Newbury white edition of sublime s/t sold out during their sale and is now going for $60-80.

8. Benjamin Dashley

Benjamin Dashley #NotMyModerator

My most valuable are (aside from box sets):

St. Vincent's St. Vincent with Gold Triangle signed by her (Max: $202)
    Margot and the Nuclear So and So's' The Dust of Retreat on blue vinyl (Max: $150)
    Sufjan Stevens' Illinois on Red/Green from Newbury (Max: $120)

Box Sets:
    Mondo's version of The Last of Us (Max: $240)
    LCD Soundsystem's The Long Goodbye (Max: $169)
    Amy Winehouse's The Collection (Max: $130)

9. BenMal

BenMal Well-Known Member

The most valuable record I own, according to discogs, is the OST for the small film Bellflower. It's a great soundtrack. I bought it after I got really into the movie, but it's since been out of print and now goes for $110 on Discogs.
    Also, according to discogs the Julien Baker album (1st pressing on blue vinyl) is worth a lot.
    I also have a The National's Trouble Will Find Me box set, which is the record I have spent the most money on. I spent way more than I should have only to see it decrease in price, but now it's going back up again.

AnthonyI likes this.
  10. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

I have a copy of Kind of Blue that discogs says maxes at $500. I bought it for $12 in the 90s.

11. thedon0922

thedon0922 Well-Known Member

The first pressing of Wilco/Billy Bragg's Mermaid avenue fetches up to $80. I am pretty sure I only paid $30. Not exactly all that rare.

All of my mom's old, first US pressing, Beatles records are worth in the $50's or $60's a piece. She kept them in great shape, all still in shrink

AnthonyI and chris_d_cole like this.
  12. hammertime

hammertime Well-Known Member

I sold virtually all of my high-end stuff after my daughter was born. One thing I held onto was an original press of Alexander Spence- Oar. I still have a couple records in the $400 range:
    Morbid Saint- Spectrum of Death original LP
    The Jones- Hey Mina compacto, rare Brazilian psych with even rarer pic sleeve.

AnthonyI, gwerbnm and lee newman like this.
  13. lee newman

lee newman Well-Known Member

BTW, it has a slight warp in it now, still playable but no longer remotely crystal clear. I bought a Newbury version to replace it and intend on giving the old copy to my daughter.

AnthonyI likes this.
  14. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

If I bought this for $9 and it ballooned up to what it is now, I would sell it with zero regret and shame.

Heath and chris_d_cole like this.
  15. Huh? What?

Huh? What? Well-Known Member

St. Vincent self titled with gold triangle. Pre-ordered it when it came out, only played the triangle once, kind of wish I never played it because both tracks are on the album anyway.

[​IMG]

AnthonyI, JonnyH, sycophancy and 3 others like this.
  16. chris_d_cole

it's a constant internal struggle, trust me.

AnthonyI, blujay and wokeupnew like this.
  17. hammertime

hammertime Well-Known Member

Well I'm pretty down on RSD in general but that's awesome that the store didn't just keep it for themselves.

AnthonyI and gwerbnm like this.
  18. itsaaronv

itsaaronv Well-Known Member

Mine is Breezy Lovejoy's (aka Anderson .Paak) O.B.E., vol. 1. Selling for $250-350 and I got it for $17.

19. Bradley

I'm SO jealous of both of you for having that St. Vincent gold triangle!

Zach, Huh? What? and itsaaronv like this.
  20. itsaaronv

itsaaronv Well-Known Member

Agreed. That gold triangle is gorgeous and I'm all sorts of jealous.

Huh? What? and Bradley like this.