What's The Most Valuable Record In Your Collection?

Discussion in 'General Music and Vinyl' started by Bradley, Apr 13, 2016.

1. angryalan

angryalan Well-Known Member

LOTS of colored bootlegs.
    One day I will take a photo of all of them laid out, but I am still trying to find both a yellow and green marble pressing.

2. cgp

cgp Member

David Bowie - Blackstar B&N clear vinyl
    Simon and Garfunkel - Sounds of Silence mono white label radio station promo
    Led Zeppelin II RL cut
    Public Image Ltd - Metal Box
    Small Faces - Ogden's Nut Gone Flake original UK mono
    Gene Clark with the Gosdin Brothers mono
    Simon and Garfunkel - Bookends mono
    Jens Lekman - Oh You're So Silent Jens
    King Crimson - Red UK Island
    Macintosh Plus - Floral Shoppe

Box sets:
    Cake vinyl box
    The Beatles in Mono

3. GritNGlitter

GritNGlitter Well-Known Member

You guys with your fancy collections. I have nothing with a median price above $85 (aside from the Beatles Mono boxset, which hardly counts)--at least none that I've entered into Discogs. But I can't think of any that might push above that.

djdavedk, bettim84, LeeVing and 7 others like this.
  4. cgp

cgp Member

I've been very lucky, except for Bookends I don't think I paid over $30 for any of my most valuable records. I was buying records for many years, and I know that if I somehow lost my collection I couldn't possibly replace them at the prices they now fetch.

5. LeeVing

LeeVing Well-Known Member

Yeah...I've been lucky, too. Looking in my top 10 while excluding most of the box sets I can tell that most were bought used or new before prices went crazy.

01. Trent Reznor / Atticus Ross ‎– The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
    - Was a gift from the wife when I bought her a house. I still don't know how she knew about this release...she still won't tell me, either.

02. Tool - Ænima
    - Bought new off the shelf in the NRM Music store in Marion, IL in 1996

03. Marilyn Manson ‎– Antichrist Superstar
    - Braved a Hot Topic when I heard they had this exclusive.

04. David Bowie - ★ (Blackstar)
    - Ordered this when my local didn't get their orders in on the release Friday - quickly sold out 2 days later when he died.

05. The Sonics ‎– Introducing The Sonics
    - Found at a local antique mall.

06. Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
    - Was still sealed at my local store, was around the $ all the reissues have been.

07. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross ‎– The Social Network
    - Bought new in the store when it was released.

08. The Beatles - The Beatles (German 1985 DMM on white vinyl)
    - Found used in Portland - maybe was around 20-25 bucks. The best sounding White Album I have, although I haven't directly compared to the new release.

09. Mar1lyn Man5on - Mechanical Animals
    - I think I bought this new online...or new in a store - I really don't remember

10. Goblin ‎– George A. Romero's Dawn Of The Dead (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
    - Waxwork Records 2018 subscription variant

Looking at past Discogs purchases, the most expensive I bought was $70 for the Pump Up The Volume : Music From The Original Motion Picture Soundtrack.
    This was more of a nostalgic purchase, being that it was my first ever CD I owned - before I even had a CD player to play it.

I can't remember any of my purchases at a local store being much more than 30 bucks for 1 record, but I'm sure some have been in there over the years.

6. Bearded Cynic

Bearded Cynic Well-Known Member

White Whale album for me. I picked up a boot of it via eBay as a holdover for the purported reissue.

7. chromewaves

chromewaves New Member

I have a copy of The Mountain Goats' "Come Come To The Sunset Tree" limited-to-1000 album of home demos that has a median value of almost $400 CDN. After John Darnielle left a bag of merch at the venue after a Toronto show, it was recovered by the promoter who was gifted a copy out of gratitude by Darnielle. He wasn't much of a TMG fan so he gave it to me. And we all lived happily ever after.

https://www.discogs.com/The-Mountain-Goats-Come-Come-To-The-Sunset-Tree/release/769960

8. wenis

wenis Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Median Value

alspriet, Enaz Fox, djdavedk and 2 others like this.
  9. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

Somewhere @wokeupnew ‘s wallet is burning and probably in tears.

10. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

:cry:

I just can’t justify paying more than $100 for a copy of that. So I’ll probably never own it.

11. GritNGlitter

GritNGlitter Well-Known Member

I keep reading this title as "Most Vulnerable Record" today, so I thought I'd pop in.

I think it's way better when you're just lucky enough to have good taste at the right time. ;)

12. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member

An old coworker of mine grew up with Darnielle and they are still friends. I read an interview years after the release of Sunset Tree that mentioned a box of hand painted records in a corner in his studio space. I was like, “that’s come come to the sunset tree!” So I asked my coworker to reach out to John about it, but John was like, “oh no those are long gone. I don’t even have a copy myself.” I remember when he first mentioned they were coming and he said, “there’s enough that everyone who wants one should be able to get one.” :_(

wokeupnew likes this.
  13. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member

63116548-41AF-4E40-B2B2-86B5179F2001.jpeg My most valuable record has probably never sold on Discogs. The listing has a couple sales on it, but at those prices the sellers either got ripped off or it wasn’t really this variant. One sold on eBay in the last few years for $600. That’s not a price that would interest me.

I had acquired a test pressing of a white buffalo woman 45. And a completist of the label offered me a Carl Sagan Cosmos variant for it. I thought we were opening the negotiations with my test pressing, not that that was all he was asking for. I felt like I was ripping him off so I asked if he needed a low cut Connie tour variant I had, he said yes, so I tossed it in for free. I was so nervous watching the tracking number update.

14. ThePakoBuelna

ThePakoBuelna Well-Known Member

That's beautiful, love it.

GritNGlitter, Nathaniel D. and JonnyH like this.
  15. uvwxVinyl

uvwxVinyl Well-Known Member

How do people handle high value trades like that?

I got burned (on this forum) when I did a trade last time and never received my record and the person went unresponsive. It wasn't a high value item and actually something I got for free so I wrote it off as a PIF and got on with it, but I would be choked losing an album I actually liked and not getting what I wanted in return.

Do people then do a sale of both items so that its backed by paypal? I.e. you pay $x for record you want and they pay the same $x for the record they want?

16. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member

It was someone who I’d dealt with before on a much smaller forum than this one, so I felt safe knowing it would really happen.

On that forum they will sometimes use an intermediary for new people trying to trade stuff where say: both of us send our records to a third person who we agree on who then sends them out once both arrive.

17. wokeupnew

wokeupnew Well-Known Member

I've heard conflicting stories of him saying that he has some leftover but he hasn't gotten around to painting the covers for them yet. so idk what will happen with that.

GritNGlitter and JonnyH like this.
  18. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

If it wasn’t someone I knew/had someone to vouch for - and frankly even then, just as an added security I’d do reciprocal PayPal transactions for insurance.

High ticket transactions that can’t be handled in person requires a certain level of trust.

19. uvwxVinyl

uvwxVinyl Well-Known Member

Will keep that in mind. It's not so unreasonable to ask for then in which case.

AnthonyI likes this.
  20. Corycm

Corycm Well-Known Member

No, that’s a pretty common practice. In the old pre-Internet days we’d do the same thing with checks/MOs/charges.