Who likes the stencils included in monthly VMP releases?

Discussion in 'Vinyl Me, Please Info' started by Benhawaii, Aug 30, 2018.

Stencils Yay or Nawww?

1. Yeah dawg! I love em! Can't get enough! Taggin all the bus stops in town!

14.6%
  2. Naw, most of them been wrong anyway and ultimately has no use...

85.4%
  1. Benhawaii

Benhawaii Well-Known Member

Just curious what the community thinks of the cardboard stencils. I thought they'd be pretty cool; but to me - most of them were poorly designed and impractical. I'd rather a sticker or a something. Post your ideas if you have a replacement idea...

2. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

Great idea!

I like the idea and still think they have some potential, so I voted “Yeah etc. etc.”

With that being said, I also think there's a good chance of coming up with something better to go in the R/HH ROTMs.

jaycee and ThePakoBuelna like this.
  3. wilko74

wilko74 Well-Known Member

Ive only seen the one that came with Super Ape, which I think is really cool.

4. bfly

bfly Well-Known Member

so I make stencils sometimes and love using them, saw a lot of potential for this add-on. unfortunately, the design and the execution has left much to be desired.

feasible things I'd prefer (that are different from the other tracks):

• stickers (takes up the same/less room, could use a similar design and still be more appealing, less room for engineering errors)
    • pins (you can put em on your clothes or hats, pin them onto a board in a frame, turn it into a magnet, fancy thumbtack- so many options)
    • patches (I rock these, I know others don't- but still, can serve as a cool textile art option)
    • mini felt pennant
    • lyric postcard
    • dreams of a better stencil

turbo, Satchmo2go, DaddyRich and 6 others like this.
  5. GelloJive

GelloJive Well-Known Member

I like them. If they could be improved that would be great. Either way I’d like them to keep sending em. It’s a fun little art project and looks cool on shirts.

6. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

I would prefer these as add ons over all of the current add ons.

7. ThePakoBuelna

ThePakoBuelna Well-Known Member

I voted Yes, but have to admit the stencils are very poor designed. Not functional but pretty(I guess) to see. I would love some stickers, something big like 6"(half of the current stencils size?)

Just received Super Ape and that one is great. Great material also.

notgabewhite, jaycee and Phaneronic like this.
  8. wilko74

wilko74 Well-Known Member

All great extras, but I’m one of those collectors who keeps all extras within the original packaging in mint condition. :)

9. foks

foks Well-Known Member

Eh, they're fine. I never use them or honestly even take them out of the cellophane.

I have, on the other hand, a few of the art prints on my wall. I'd much prefer a patch or sticker (though I don't think I'd use them either, thinking about it).

10. JonnyH

JonnyH Well-Known Member

Patches would kick ass

11. duke86fan

duke86fan Well-Known Member

are patches really a hip hop thing though? i seen them more in the rock world than the hip hop world (maybe for that metal exclusive).. stickers for a dance sub would be awesome though

jaycee, chrb98 and Phaneronic like this.
  12. Woob_woob

Woob_woob Well-Known Member

Why does it have to be a "hip hop thing" tho? Are art prints essential? Are listening books classic? The stencils just feel forced to fit "hip hop culture" when that's not the case for the other subs.

notgabewhite, tvham, JonnyH and 5 others like this.
  13. Juiceless

Juiceless Well-Known Member

I'd be pretty pleased with a specially paired spiff with each RHH release. VMP is in CO, is it not?

14. Goodjc91

Goodjc91 Active Member

I like the idea, but when it's just the album title or group name or "save the bees" it seems like more thought could be put into them

The doom one was an A+ though

Phaneronic and ThePakoBuelna like this.
  15. duke86fan

well the art print is more an artifact of the fact that VMP had that as a big seller for their essentials forever. its like how a cocktail isn't essential either.. though i will say i think listening book fits the style of classic as that sub is more towards a more.. refined, older, criterion collection like historical preservation piece... and a listening book kinda fits that... i do think stencils can be flawed.. but i just treat them like art prints i poked bits out of

16. ThePakoBuelna

ThePakoBuelna Well-Known Member

Yes.

17. Phaneronic

Phaneronic Well-Known Member

I too like all those ideas but I can't say they're better than the liner note booklet or the art prints.

jaycee likes this.
  18. GelloJive

GelloJive Well-Known Member

Save the Bees is a very Badu thing. I saw her merch at a music festival last weekend and it was all save the bees. She might’ve had input or say in that.

Cocktails were started early on and meant to be part of the vinyl experience. Sit down, relax, play, enjoy. Don’t just background music it.

19. chrb98

chrb98 Well-Known Member

I, for one, love some of the stencils I've gotten from the R&HH sub, and I'd be crushed if they were done away with as a whole. I make a lot of custom shirts out of them using some fabric paint and an iron (and a blank tee of course), and it's definitely the most fun I've had with any VMP add-on. That being said, they're far from perfect, and I wanted to touch on one point in specific that I think exemplifies the main problem I have with the stencils (other than punchouts-within-punchouts, which I won't address in this post as you don't need me to tell you how lame that is)

I don't think this is accurate, because calling them "poorly designed" implies that they are designed at all, which I wouldn't say most of them are. Most (important to note that I'm not saying all) of the stencil designs aren't made to be stencils, and aren't made by anyone at VMP at all - they're just anything half-recognizable from the album cover, grabbed and turned into a stencil (sometimes without even checking to make sure that it works as a stencil, in the case of punchouts-within-punchouts). Don't get me wrong, sometimes that's cool; For example, I really like the Madlib, De La Soul, and Snoop Dogg stencils, even if they're just the artists's respective names in the way that it appears on the album art, as they're a nice design and they're instantly recognizable. But sometimes you end up with ones that look really lazy, like the Living Legends' Classic stencil, which is just the word "Classic" as it appears on the cover, or Open Mike Eagle's Unapologetic Art Rap, which is literally just the word "Unapologetic" from the cover. It just screams "There's not really any piece of the existing art that would make a cool or recognizable stencil, so we'll just use the album name because it's there anyway". The R&HH side-sub has had some excellent quality vinyl, record sleeves, etc. so I don't want to seem like I'm not appreciative of the work they're already putting into it, but in cases like the aforementioned two albums, I wish VMP would actually make/commission their own design, or work with the artist to make a design, that is inspired by the album and its art, rather than just being a copy-paste of one element of it. If each Essentials ROTM gets its own custom-made art print that is actually designed by somebody to complement the album rather than just being a copy-paste of an existing piece of the album art, I think the stencils deserve at least somewhat similar attention.

20. duke86fan

i think the real problem is they dont get creative enough with the stencils